Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

GENSSI headlamps - wrong pigtail connection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 06:17 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default GENSSI headlamps - wrong pigtail connection?

I finally bit the bullet and bought some replacement headlamps (
GENNSI 7x6 Projector LED GENNSI 7x6 Projector LED
), but when they got here I was surprised to see that the pigtail has the wrong plug on it. Whereas the image on Amazon showed a H4 connector, which has three flat male prongs, the headlight showed up with something altogether different - this 3-pin female triangular plug, which as far as I can tell is for https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-x-Genuine-OEM-Original-Triangle-3-pins-power-cord-for-headlight-leveling-motor-used-free/32791053251.html?

I messaged the seller, but it's been a few days, and I haven't heard back. I've also looked to see if I could find an adapter, but no luck. I can't even figure out a name for this triangular connector. In the meantime, do you guys know of an easy way to make this work without permanently altering wiring?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

You got the wrong connector. Send them back or splice them in without the plug.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn’t touch any of the wiring on the car side. If you really want to make those work you might be able to find the correct wire harness at your local auto parts store (pep boys, Autozone, etc.) that you could splice on to the headlight. But of course if you cut off the plug that came on it to splice on a different one then you lose any chance of returning the lights. I’d wait to return the lights and get the correct replacements. The link you sent shows the correct plug, so they obviously messed up on their end.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:01 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Am I missing something? I don't see anywhere on the Amazon page where you can choose the connector. All of the pictures showed the correct connector. I definitely don't want to splice anything though.

Originally Posted by JBPC4
I wouldn’t touch any of the wiring on the car side. If you really want to make those work you might be able to find the correct wire harness at your local auto parts store (pep boys, Autozone, etc.) that you could splice on to the headlight. But of course if you cut off the plug that came on it to splice on a different one then you lose any chance of returning the lights. I’d wait to return the lights and get the correct replacements. The link you sent shows the correct plug, so they obviously messed up on their end.
Sounds like a good plan. I definitely don't want to permanently modify anything in case it comes to having to return the lights. It's just so weird that it would have some random plug that doesn't seem to go to any car's headlights and that isn't mentioned anywhere on the page.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 AM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah it’s definitely weird. I’ve never seen that kind of plug before either.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Return them. Too expensive for a "project". Too many other good options also.

Some of these LED headlamps are so good they no longer even need a load resistor to work with the factory fogs.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Return them. Too expensive for a "project". Too many other good options also.

Some of these LED headlamps are so good they no longer even need a load resistor to work with the factory fogs.
I think you meant to say that some headlight packages contain a LOAD RESISTOR already added. FWIW, measuring the resistance across the high beam (in particular) to the ground terminal (on the connector) will tell you if you need the resistor or not, e.g., a reading of ~ ± 6 ohms and you're golden!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:23 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If all else fails and you can't return them (or the picture is wrong) you can get pigtail adapters, such as this one:

Amazon Amazon

you would need to ensure of the correct adapter, but they are available
Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I think you meant to say that some headlight packages contain a LOAD RESISTOR already added. FWIW, measuring the resistance across the high beam (in particular) to the ground terminal (on the connector) will tell you if you need the resistor or not, e.g., a reading of ~ ± 6 ohms and you're golden!
You are correct sir. They don't require an external load resistor (or a 168 bulb in-line on one headlight) because it's already built in. Wohoo!!!

It would be helpful if the sellers would include this information in the description. I found out mine had the internal load resistor by plugging everything in and turning the switch. Then I did the "I don't have to stand on my head in the passenger footwell to fix the ground issue" dance.

So to take the VOM approach, you'll need to read resistance across the two up right spades in the U shaped plug.

Don't know how much the Genssi headlamps cost. Mine are under $90/pair now.

She's lit.

Last edited by Renfield; 01-16-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
I messaged the seller, but it's been a few days, and I haven't heard back. I've also looked to see if I could find an adapter, but no luck. I can't even figure out a name for this triangular connector. In the meantime, do you guys know of an easy way to make this work without permanently altering wiring?
If you paid cash, you are SOL. I usually use AMEX for these sort of purchases. AMEX is VERY quick to yank the payment in case of a dispute. That should make him want to talk to you. If you cut it, nobody can help you.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

It seems that you imply you bought them through Amazon. Was it Speed Shop the vendor you bought from ? If so, follow the links and you end up here

Amazon Amazon

and there will be instructions on how to initiate the return
Old 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Is the built-in load resistor to make it work with the fog lights? When I was doing initial research, I came across a lot of people having to do a little custom circuitry (namely the "Circuit Doctor" mod) so that the fogs and high beams worked independently. If so, good to know I won't have to mess with that.

Originally Posted by drcook
If all else fails and you can't return them (or the picture is wrong) you can get pigtail adapters, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Headli.../dp/B007AK9M66

you would need to ensure of the correct adapter, but they are available
That was my initial thought, but I couldn't find an adapter to the plug the lights have for the life of me. I couldn't even find a name for the plug, just that it was apparently used for JDM headlight leveling motors.

Originally Posted by aklim
If you paid cash, you are SOL. I usually use AMEX for these sort of purchases. AMEX is VERY quick to yank the payment in case of a dispute. That should make him want to talk to you. If you cut it, nobody can help you.
Nope, used a credit card through Amazon, so I'm not too concerned. Worst comes to worst I'll just return them.

Originally Posted by drcook
It seems that you imply you bought them through Amazon. Was it Speed Shop the vendor you bought from ? If so, follow the links and you end up here

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=...b=&vasStoreID=

and there will be instructions on how to initiate the return
Yep, Speed Shop is the one! Why, do they have a bad reputation?
Actually, it seemed fishy to me that the lights would have the wrong connectors when it seems like GENSSI is a pretty major company, so I messaged GENSSI asking if I could have possibly received a counterfeit item. Also seems a little off that they're $250 + shipping from the mfg only $190 on Amazon.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Nope, used a credit card through Amazon, so I'm not too concerned. Worst comes to worst I'll just return them.

Yep, Speed Shop is the one! Why, do they have a bad reputation?
Actually, it seemed fishy to me that the lights would have the wrong connectors when it seems like GENSSI is a pretty major company, so I messaged GENSSI asking if I could have possibly received a counterfeit item. Also seems a little off that they're $250 + shipping from the mfg only $190 on Amazon.
If you paid $250 for a $190 item, I'd return it ASAP. I'd forget the Circuit Doctor mod. It is much easier to use THIS inline. I did and it worked. Didn't have to futz around with cutting and splicing a harness.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Other way around - GENSSI sells them for $250, but I paid $190 through Speed Shop.

Is Renfield wrong in saying the GENSSI lights don't need a load resistor?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Other way around - GENSSI sells them for $250, but I paid $190 through Speed Shop.

My bad.

IDK about Genssi lights but mine DID need the load resistor to get the fog lights/high beams to function as they should
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Renfield
Drifting

I never said that the Genssi bulbs have the load resistor built in. What I said was I don't know how much they cost and that I wish the sellers would list this feature.

Mine (the ones in the picture that don't look at all like Genssi) are a knock-off of the TruckLite bulbs. They run $89 a pair and the load resistor is built in. Which I discovered by plugging them in.

Here's the link to the bulbs I bought. Plug and go.
The following users liked this post:
C4ProjectCar (01-23-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If you paid $250 for a $190 item, I'd return it ASAP. I'd forget the Circuit Doctor mod. It is much easier to use THIS inline. I did and it worked. Didn't have to futz around with cutting and splicing a harness.
Yep! Took more time to coil the jumper and tie-wrap it than to install them. And, OE functionality is preserved 100% w/o cutting or grounding anything.

The following users liked this post:
C4ProjectCar (01-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To GENSSI headlamps - wrong pigtail connection?

Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

After two unanswered messages to the seller in the past two weeks, I'm returning the lights. From the reviews, it looks like they are supposed to come with the H4 connector. Should I just re-order and hope I don't get defective units again, or does anyone suggest getting a different set instead around the same price point?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

After two unanswered messages to the seller in the past two weeks, I'm returning the lights. From the reviews, it looks like they are supposed to come with the H4 connector. Should I just re-order and hope I don't get defective units again, or does anyone suggest getting a different set instead around the same price point?
I would suggest you yank the credit payment and let him come to you with a call tag. I mean, HE screwed it up not you, right?

I suggest you actually order the Genssi from them itself unless you are willing to try another seller. It was cheaper for a reason. This is the reason. Aggravation.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:11 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

I already gave you my best recommendation, and a link. But if you are hell bound to buy Genssi, I agree with Aklim. Return these and order direct from Genssi.

Quick Reply: GENSSI headlamps - wrong pigtail connection?