Headlight options

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Headlight options

Morning......I did a search on headlights and I saw a few threads out there...most of them were arguing back and forth about compliance, cut off, etc. That being said, there have to be some good options out there by now to replace the stock lamps....which we should all be able to agree are terrible at this point. So, a few questions......

-What are compliant / safe options out there that people have used?
-How complicated is the actual install? **aligning correctly to not blind people, etc.
-Are they now truly plug and play with factory operation of all lights?
-Are fog light upgrades needed?

I am looking for options that keep the stock flip ups!

Thanks in advance!

-Rick

Last edited by cicch95; 01-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Theres no set of answers that are right across the board. There are a lot of u it's on the market, with varying designs, brightness, etc.

I can only speak to the set I bought, they have good light output, and a great cutoff. They did require the foglight relay mod ro make everything normal. They're bright enough to. It need foglights, I chose to replace my fogs with actual foglights that have yellow light to be used in bad weather.

There are many other options out there. I dont think there is one option that is just all around better. Some dont need the foglight mod but have less output or a worse cutoff. Some have no cutoff at all.

You kind of have to decide what's important to you to choose them.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

I bought these more than a year ago. Very happy with the results. Excellent cut off. Built-in load resistor provides stock fog light operation without mods. DOT approved. Very bright.

Aiming them is a process unless you have the tool. With the tool, it's a 5 minute job. You might need a DeLorean set to 1984 to get the tool though.

Lots of folks had to add resistance (to the later year C4s) or rewire the fog relay to keep the fogs working. Although they don't mention it in the product description, mine had the built in resistance.

Good luck!

Fogs from superbrightleds.com had to be modified with a file to fit.

Headlight alignment tool.

Here's what the cut off looked like on my garage door.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

lol. all u need to align is a screwdriver.

i bought same as fuaee. they are awesome.

bfenty got them too. recent thread.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I used semi sealed beams with a replaceable Halogen H4. All the LEDs etc are arguable as to whether they are legal or not in all states or in my case in Australia. I know mine are compliant and I'm happy with them.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by cicch95
Morning......I did a search on headlights and I saw a few threads out there...most of them were arguing back and forth about compliance, cut off, etc. That being said, there have to be some good options out there by now to replace the stock lamps....which we should all be able to agree are terrible at this point. So, a few questions......

-What are compliant / safe options out there that people have used?
-How complicated is the actual install? **aligning correctly to not blind people, etc.
-Are they now truly plug and play with factory operation of all lights?
-Are fog light upgrades needed?

I am looking for options that keep the stock flip ups!

Thanks in advance!

-Rick
I have used the GENSSI with THIS and it seems to work for me. I prefer the higher temp lights, around 5000K (I think). Are they compliant? I doubt it they went through the trouble to get it certified. If you want compliant, go back with stock.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
lol. all u need to align is a screwdriver.

i bought same as fuaee. they are awesome.

bfenty got them too. recent thread.
How does the screwdriver tell you when they are aimed correctly? All the screwdriver does is change the direction they point.

At the very least, your screwdriver would need a wall at one end of a very level spot with measured marks to aim for.

The tool pictured is placed beside the front tire and a bubble level is set. Then the tool is placed on the three aim points on the headlight showing exactly how much and what direction to turn the screwdriver.

Last edited by Renfield; 01-18-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Thanks for the comments guys. I am still unsure of how I will go, but the input is appreciated!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

sry renfeld i didnt mean to make it look or sound like i was scoffing at that tool.

No doubt im sure its a serious tool that makes it easier. Mostly i wanted to op to know its not necessary. just adjust then go drive and find a wall 10m out and the cutoff needs to be below (a bit) the height of the headlights. not higher. iow, not aimed up.

ive been adjusting mine a tonne and tweaking as i drive at night. when i first imstalled i got flashed once and i pulled over to lower them. problem solved.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 01-18-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
sry renfeld i didnt mean to make it look or sound like i was scoffing at that tool.

No doubt im sure its a serious tool that makes it easier. Mostly i wanted to op to know its not necessary. just adjust then go drive and find a wall 10m out and the cutoff needs to be below (a bit) the height of the headlights. not higher. iow, not aimed up.

ive been adjusting mine a tonne and tweaking as i drive at night. when i first imstalled i got flashed once and i pulled over to lower them. problem solved.
No worries. Just the fact that I've not seen the tool in years kind of makes it a moot point. But it sure takes all the guesswork out of aiming those rectangular bulbs. So glad I bought one for my new '88 Wrangler back in the day.

There's a specific formula for getting the aim right with the wall method. I don't know it offhand because, well, the tool. But involves control of multiple variables. Level ground. Proper tire pressure. Half tank of gas. Distance to wall. Distance from level ground to aim point on wall. Ya gotta cover all the angles. Otherwise, you get flashed or maybe aim too low and don't get the full effect.

If I didn't have the tool, I would take them to the guy who does my alignments and have them aimed.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

With aiming headlights. Most states with required safety inspections, the inspection stations will have headlight aiming equipment. The hardest part of aiming without aimers is finding flat level surface.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have real headlights in my 87. They are Cibie e-code lamps with replaceable H4 bulbs. With off road 130/100w bulbs a relay kit and new headlight wiring is mandatory. They pull 18amps on low beam. As for light output they are very flat with a kick up on the edge of the road lighting up signs. On high beam it's like the sun came out.
Look for Daniel Sterns lighting, his page has some good info.
I don't have any experience with LEDs
I spent @ $200 with lamps, wiring and relay kit.

JS
Old 01-23-2019, 07:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by jsinga
I have real headlights in my 87. They are Cibie e-code lamps with replaceable H4 bulbs. With off road 130/100w bulbs a relay kit and new headlight wiring is mandatory. They pull 18amps on low beam. As for light output they are very flat with a kick up on the edge of the road lighting up signs. On high beam it's like the sun came out.
Look for Daniel Sterns lighting, his page has some good info.
I don't have any experience with LEDs
I spent @ $200 with lamps, wiring and relay kit.

JS
I can get away with LEDs which may or may not have the right cutoff but do you believe that much light won't catch the cops attention as surely as you are driving with high beams?

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight options

Quick Reply: Headlight options