Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Variations in Polo Green (flake size and tint) from 94-96?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 PM
lance_b_1
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Variations in Polo Green (flake size and tint) from 94-96?

So I got backed into at work in my '94 (this is my daily "beater", but come on!), smashed the upper half of the door in and the window, regulator, PKES antenna, etc all ate it. So I find a door from a 96 on eBay, choosing that based on the Corvette Black Book saying 94-96 all used Polo Green instead of Polo II Green. It got here, and when I put it up to my door in direct sunlight, the shade was only correct from two angles, when I stood back to rear 3/4 the '96 door turned almost black while my car didn't- I was somewhat worried that would happen since I got a front license filler that did the same thing, turned black in direct light, I just figured it was from a Polo Green II car though.

The flake on my '94 was also much bigger and brighter than on the '96 door which didn't sparkle as much and seemed smaller and denser.

So, a couple questions, side by side how much variation is there, or should they all be exactly the same over the years? I know I have sprayed metallic paint on motorcycle bodies and it all depends how well you mix it how much flake shows, etc. Did GM just not keep it consistent over the years?

I can see signs of bodywork towards the back of the '96 door, so if it was resprayed could it just have been the wrong paint used?

What are the odds I can find a shop that will match my tint and flake EXACTLY? I am starting to think that is impossible.

If I found a door off a '94 what are the odds it would match exactly, as in, did GM spray them all at once? LOL

I may have to install the '96 door even though the shade is different because I tried to install a window and new regulator in my door after tweaking it back into shape and it's not even close to rolling up correctly :-(

Thanks

Last edited by lance_b_1; 01-26-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:21 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

^^^^ Very well said.

My other thought would be that either your car or that particular door you bought had been repainted at some point and you are seeing the variation from one mixture to the next. Do you have any pictures of your car with the door installed?
Old 01-27-2019, 10:34 AM
lance_b_1
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will try to snap a pic today if it's sunny. Right now I pulled the broken parts out of my crunched door, bent the steel supports back, and installed the good parts from the door I bought. I gave up last night in the dark trying to get the window roll up correctly near the top so I'll have to take a look when the sun comes out at what is going on. I may need to put it all back in the uncrunched door and install that even if the color is off. I figured the crunch would look better than the wrong shade but maybe I am stuck with it.

One of the main reasons I am asking about a respray is if I have to go through this guy's insurance and a respray is necessary then the car is likely totalled and I don't want to do that. So maybe the search is on for an untouched Polo Green door as I am fairly certain my car is stock paint
Old 01-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by lance_b_1
I will try to snap a pic today if it's sunny. Right now I pulled the broken parts out of my crunched door, bent the steel supports back, and installed the good parts from the door I bought. I gave up last night in the dark trying to get the window roll up correctly near the top so I'll have to take a look when the sun comes out at what is going on. I may need to put it all back in the uncrunched door and install that even if the color is off. I figured the crunch would look better than the wrong shade but maybe I am stuck with it.

One of the main reasons I am asking about a respray is if I have to go through this guy's insurance and a respray is necessary then the car is likely totalled and I don't want to do that. So maybe the search is on for an untouched Polo Green door as I am fairly certain my car is stock paint
I question the validity of this statement. His ineptitude caused damage that can be fixed. His insurance company is on the hook to do so.

You are running from a straw man. Get your car fixed correctly on his dime and be done.

Why do I say this? Experience. A guy drove his new-to-him one owner C4 to the Mountain Run 4 gathering a few years back. He parked in the perimeter of the lot, and a Lincoln Town Car full of hotel employees texting smashed into the rear. His car was moved into the adjacent space from the impact. We're talking massive right rear damage. It's back on the road now good as new. If there was ever a chance of a car being totaled, his certainly qualified. Your damage is a walk in the park by comparison.

Having said that, matching metallic paint is a nightmare.
The following users liked this post:
lance_b_1 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:56 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by lance_b_1

The flake on my '94 was also much bigger and brighter than on the '96 door which didn't sparkle as much and seemed smaller and denser.

So, a couple questions, side by side how much variation is there, or should they all be exactly the same over the years? I know I have sprayed metallic paint on motorcycle bodies and it all depends how well you mix it how much flake shows, etc. Did GM just not keep it consistent over the years?

What are the odds I can find a shop that will match my tint and flake EXACTLY? I am starting to think that is impossible.
I found this link that shows there are two different WA paint codes for Polo Green. For 1990 and 1991 the site shows these codes for Polo Green: PPG 4235, DuPont D8871, S-W 42595, and WA 9529. The WA code will be listed at the bottom of the Service Parts Identification sticker.

For 1992 thru 1996, there is a PPG 4301, DuPont B9012, RM20011, S-W 42596, and WA 9539 I think the '92-;96 colors are referred to as Polo Green II Metallic. Cadillac also used the WA 9539 code and that color was simply called Dark Metallic Green.

Any competent auto paint supply business should be able to mix the paint you need if you give them the WA code. Then its up to a good painter to spray the paint and match it to the car.
The following users liked this post:
lance_b_1 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 03:48 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

God, reminds me of the nightmare I went thru with my '96. Worst part was I did it myself! I backed into it with my truck, broke the window and had a similar indent in the same spot, bent the bar along the belt line enough we had to replace the door. And yes there are two different codes as C4cruiser said, good luck on your repair.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:46 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Why do I say this? Experience. A guy drove his new-to-him one owner C4 to the Mountain Run 4 gathering a few years back. He parked in the perimeter of the lot, and a Lincoln Town Car full of hotel employees texting smashed into the rear. His car was moved into the adjacent space from the impact. We're talking massive right rear damage. It's back on the road now good as new. If there was ever a chance of a car being totaled, his certainly qualified. Your damage is a walk in the park by comparison.
And that car was a ZR-1, has a lot more value in it than a base model car. And that damage wasn’t “massive”.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:04 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChumpVette

And that car was a ZR-1, has a lot more value in it than a base model car. And that damage wasn’t “massive”.
I was there Chump. Walked around it in person. It was massive. Makes the OP's damage look like a door ding.

Pretty sure the OP here didn't have both his rear wheels relocated by a Town Car.

My point: If it could've been totaled, Alan's car was a better candidate. The loss of value to his one-owner ZR-1 alone was more. I think the OP is afraid for nothing.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:36 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

I was there Chump. Walked around it in person. It was massive. Makes the OP's damage look like a door ding.

Pretty sure the OP here didn't have both his rear wheels relocated by a Town Car.

My point: If it could've been totaled, Alan's car was a better candidate. The loss of value to his one-owner ZR-1 alone was more. I think the OP is afraid for nothing.

Massive... Just massive amounts of damage.

Let me know when the damage, really gets to the "Massive" level.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:38 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Massive... Just massive amounts of damage.

Let me know when the damage, really gets to the "Massive" level.

Oh yea, that **** will all buff out. You like your right rear tire in the passenger seat?

You're starting to sound like Ken Mohr.

Tell me more about YOUR ******* OPINION of massive.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:02 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Oh yea, that **** will all buff out. You like your right rear tire in the passenger seat?

You're starting to sound like Ken Mohr.

Tell me more about YOUR ******* OPINION of massive.
Wow, salty.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Renfield
Drifting

I try to help. Instead, I draw ******** like flies on ****. Then it affects my other posts. Then I wonder what kind of community I've become a part of. Then I just want to sell the vette.

Maybe I should just critique other's posts and skip trying to help. I mean, really, what's the point? Doesn't profit me a bit. It would free up time for me to tell others what their opinion of "massive" is.

To be sure, there have been some good folks here. Some still hang around. The others recognized it isn't worth the time. But my Ignore list is becoming unmanageable.

Gonna keep the vette. For now.

Happy Trails.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:37 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

The down side here is that the C4's value is down quite a bit compared to what they were 10 years ago. Body work on a Corvette is generally expensive and I don't think its difficult for an insurance company to total a C4. The cost to fix the car will eat up quite a bit of what the car is worth and that's a pretty sad thing. Lance is doing it right by replacing the door himself.

On another note, seeing that yellow ZR1 in that state is sickening. I feel for the owner of the black Z, as the car looked to be beautiful and that damage was pretty bad. I'm glad to hear that its fixed and back on the road.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I try to help. Instead, I draw ******** like flies on ****. Then it affects my other posts. Then I wonder what kind of community I've become a part of. Then I just want to sell the vette.

Maybe I should just critique other's posts and skip trying to help. I mean, really, what's the point? Doesn't profit me a bit. It would free up time for me to tell others what their opinion of "massive" is.

To be sure, there have been some good folks here. Some still hang around. The others recognized it isn't worth the time. But my Ignore list is becoming unmanageable.

Gonna keep the vette. For now.

Happy Trails.
Understand completely. Happens even to those of us who don't post much. A guy attacked me on the tech forum when I agreed with him. Former boss once cautioned me not to get in a pissing contest with a skunk, Good advice. Party on, Garth.

Last edited by car addict; 02-04-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Variations in Polo Green (flake size and tint) from 94-96?

Quick Reply: Variations in Polo Green (flake size and tint) from 94-96?