Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
View Poll Results: Does getting your Vette out in the spring make you appreciate the car more?
Yes
71.93%
No
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Does winter make you appreciate your Vette more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:29 PM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Charsel
Yes, it's top down weather in FL
Yep....had mine out today with the top down in Ocala...60*...a bit cooler than normal but felt good.

All jokes aside...the weather here has been miserable all the way to the Keys!! This is the first decent day we have had in the past 5 days.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:47 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Joe C
go fo it! we lived in hartville for 28 years - had enough of the NE ohio winters and 6 weeks of summer. moved to florida, and wouldn't go back on a bet. use to store the cars from november 1st until april 1st. it was usually the 4th of july before the serious warm weather would set in, and by mid September, the leaves would start to turn. I remember having snow as early as the first part of october, and as late as mid-april. worst cold snap, -24° - now here in florida, it was just a week ot two ago, I was driving without the top. the only thing I miss about NE ohio is the hartville kitchen, the hardware store, and summit racing!
We live on the other side of Akron in Norton, however I spent more than half my life within a mile or 2 of Rt 91, moving from Springfield Township, to Tallmadge, then to Munroe Falls.

It is colder than my ex-wife here today and will be for the next few days. I'd be afraid of cracking my car to take it out in weather like this, so she sits in the garage, waiting for Spring.

We like Jacksonville, St. Augustine area. MK's sister used to live there. The ocean helps mitigate that awful humidity. The other place we are looking at is the western side of NC towards the mountains, a bit east of Asheville. Our daughter wants us to come to Texas. She lives in San Antonio, but once again the humidity. I can deal with heat, but not humidity.

It is nice to be able to be in Summit Racing's parking lot in 20 minutes. They are just about 18 miles from the house.

Last edited by drcook; 01-29-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:21 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
It is nice to be able to be in Summit Racing's parking lot in 20 minutes. They are just about 18 miles from the house.
I am extremely jealous of that.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 AM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

I do look forward to spring mainly because I didn't think things through fully and bought "summer" tires that are greatly limiting my time behind the wheel. Also the colder temps slow me down in being able to resolve mechanical issues that will make the 91 reasonably reliable.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:43 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Wintertime does let you do mods or work to your car that you wouldn't want to do otherwise if the weather was good. I agree with everyone who has mentioned that. I can't wait until this spring to get the ole' girl out!
The following users liked this post:
FOURSPEEDVETTE (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 04:29 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've been storing 'Vettes during the MN Winters since 1974. I definitely am excited for April 1st when the insurance goes back on and they hit the road. With the temps in the -25 range here the last few days it is obvious they will not be seeing blacktop anytime soon. Even April 1st is no guarantee, as we had a major snowstorm last year during the 2nd week.
It does give you the chance to do some detailing or other projects since there's no rush to finish. Unfortunately my power antenna on the '84 has some issues that I need to deal with. My garage is heated so I can pick my time, but not motivated to tackle that repair...
Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 PM
ErrrrCar205
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Funny, I just said to my wife the other day that I've never been so impatient for spring to get here before (I bought my Corvette in September). Between a car that's in good shape, a tight garage, and a baby I'm not doing anything in the way of off-season projects either. Still...and I've said this before, but I'll say it again...looking at a Corvette hibernating in your garage is better than not having a Corvette in your garage.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:59 PM
lance_b_1
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nah that's why I got the C4 ;-) But I miss driving the C5 with the top down.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:59 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lance_b_1
nah that's why I got the C4 ;-) But I miss driving the C5 with the top down.

Believe it or not Corvettes DO rot out... Usually the rust and rot goes unnoticed because the fiberglass/plastic panels cover the damage. I have personally seen a C4 that must have been driven in every NY winter since it was new. The frame had rot holes you could stick your hand in... Through the rot hole you could see the galvanized coating on the inside of the frame rails just past the rot. (Right in front of the driver side rear wheel, you had to pull the wheel well and rocker to see the hole. It wasn't really visible otherwise) Even my C4 has more rust than I would like to see on basically all the suspension hardware. (PO drove it in the winter) I have been gradually replacing the hardware as I do repairs/upgrades in that area. I just never understood the desire to drive any corvette in the winter, there are TONS of better winter cars out there for the same or less money.

I see you are from Nevada. They probably don't salt down that way if you get snow?
The following users liked this post:
lance_b_1 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

The first C4 I ever bought was from the "great state" of NY and had some rust on the steel bits under the car. I cleaned it up and neutralized it but it took some time on my Kwik Lift... several months actually.The worst part was the scale on the aluminum parts....

Last edited by 81c3; 02-01-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:21 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

My Lady is sitting in an unheated garage 15 minutes away. Spent the last two (three?) winters chasing the oil loss and other things, decided to take a break this winter and give the newer Outlander a place to sit when not driving. Boy, that was plain stupid.

I go visit Her every few weeks to move Her a foot or so to save Her tires. And sigh, yearn, wish.

Yes, this spring will bring me a huge smile if it ever actually gets here. I hate winter, yet I'm stuck in Iowa; my wife wants to go north and I want to go south. No flipping way I'll going north and no flipping way she will go south. Ah well, at least I get to Drive.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 PM
lance_b_1
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Believe it or not Corvettes DO rot out... Usually the rust and rot goes unnoticed because the fiberglass/plastic panels cover the damage. I have personally seen a C4 that must have been driven in every NY winter since it was new. The frame had rot holes you could stick your hand in... Through the rot hole you could see the galvanized coating on the inside of the frame rails just past the rot. (Right in front of the driver side rear wheel, you had to pull the wheel well and rocker to see the hole. It wasn't really visible otherwise) Even my C4 has more rust than I would like to see on basically all the suspension hardware. (PO drove it in the winter) I have been gradually replacing the hardware as I do repairs/upgrades in that area. I just never understood the desire to drive any corvette in the winter, there are TONS of better winter cars out there for the same or less money.

I see you are from Nevada. They probably don't salt down that way if you get snow?
no, no salt. Sometimes a brine solution. It always dries out quickly, snow one day, sun the next so eally not near as bad as most parts of the country. I do have a pickup for the deep stuff though :-)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my first corvette last May, so this is the first winter that I have stored it and I have to say that my wife can see the withdrawals I have been going through. I have been doing a bit of tech research and parts planning over the winter so I have some upgrade plans when I get her back. Hopefully I will have the willpower to be able to do the projects and not say screw it and take it for another ride.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Mjet67
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Wintertime does let you do mods or work to your car that you wouldn't want to do otherwise if the weather was good. I agree with everyone who has mentioned that. I can't wait until this spring to get the ole' girl out!

Exactly...Winter time is when I get the big projects done while not rushing to finish and get out to drive ....Have to wait until Late March/April, so lots of time to get the work done right!!!

Then can’t wait until spring for the test drive to see the Results of the winter work!!

Could be a bit warmer in the garage though.....
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mjet67

Exactly...Winter time is when I get the big projects done while not rushing to finish and get out to drive ....Have to wait until Late March/April, so lots of time to get the work done right!!!

Then can’t wait until spring for the test drive to see the Results of the winter work!!

Could be a bit warmer in the garage though.....
I agree, you want to drive the car but you can't so it lets you get big projects done.
Halfmoon eh? I live in Greenwich myself.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Mjet67
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree, you want to drive the car but you can't so it lets you get big projects done.
Halfmoon eh? I live in Greenwich myself.
Hey, not to far away... Cold winter so far...
Old 02-05-2019, 08:59 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mjet67

Hey, not to far away... Cold winter so far...
Not today! haha

Get notified of new replies

To Does winter make you appreciate your Vette more?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

No comment
Old 02-13-2019, 05:04 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xrav22
No comment
You just came in here to gloat. I see where you are from...
Old 02-15-2019, 01:12 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

What is this thing you call winter?

Quick Reply: Does winter make you appreciate your Vette more?