C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cannot open doors with key

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM
93driver
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot open doors with key

I have a 1993 that I recently acquired (5 days ago). Saturday it functioned perfectly. Sunday morning I walked up to the car and nothing happened. No lights came on on the inside, the doors did not unlock, etc. I tried to use the 'round' key to open the doors and it would not open either. I replaced the battery in the fob Sunday afternoon and still nothing. any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:23 PM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

What happened when you tried your round key? Does it just not turn at all? Can you wiggle and get it to go in either direction at all? If so, I'd inject some graphite into the keyhole and keep trying a little at a time. You certainly do not want to apply so much pressure that the key breaks off, though. Just FYI, when at the driver's door turning the key clockwise unlocks the door. Also, did you try the passenger door as well with it?

Guess I should have first asked, did you try the key before you bought the car? Do you know that it is supposed to work?
Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 93driver
I have a 1993 that I recently acquired (5 days ago). Saturday it functioned perfectly. Sunday morning I walked up to the car and nothing happened. No lights came on on the inside, the doors did not unlock, etc. I tried to use the 'round' key to open the doors and it would not open either. I replaced the battery in the fob Sunday afternoon and still nothing. any suggestions? Thanks.
Did you try holding down the "door" button on the fob for five or ten seconds to see if the pass. door would unlock? If it's a coupe, does the hatch unlock button work?

Last edited by markKlein; 01-28-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:56 PM
93driver
7th Gear

Originally Posted by puterami
What happened when you tried your round key? Does it just not turn at all? Can you wiggle and get it to go in either direction at all? If so, I'd inject some graphite into the keyhole and keep trying a little at a time. You certainly do not want to apply so much pressure that the key breaks off, though. Just FYI, when at the driver's door turning the key clockwise unlocks the door. Also, did you try the passenger door as well with it?

Guess I should have first asked, did you try the key before you bought the car? Do you know that it is supposed to work?
I did. was unclear about the fob at first. It was at a Buick dealership and they were not as familiar. On the drive home I had several opportunities to get in and out with the fob and it worked as designed. The round key turns to the right, but does not feel as if will work. I tried it on both doors with the same results. I can try the graphite, but wondered what happened to the fob.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:57 PM
93driver
7th Gear

It is a convertible and I did try holding the button down... but nothing.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:21 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

It is a convertible and I did try holding the button down... but nothing.
Possible fob battery is upside down or not seated properly? Don't mean to insult, but a couple weeks ago guy had unresponsive fob problem and then discovered battery wasn't quite seated.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:28 PM
93driver
7th Gear

I did not notice any issues, but that is something to check out, thanks.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:21 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If a light stuck on or something and it drained the battery, there might not be anything wrong at all with your key fob. I have the same issue to fix with a friend's 93. Their battery died and the key won't unlock the door.

Try this for ha has and see if it works.

Jack up the car, correctly of course and put jack stands under it.

Let me repeat, put jack stands under it.

Put a battery charger + cable on the hot side wire to the starter and the neg side to the frame. If it is pulling a charge, let it charge a bit and then see if the FOB will open the door.

Last edited by drcook; 01-28-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Sprongs
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Another reason to have emergency hood release cables.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sprongs:
Paul Workman (01-31-2019), slipup (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
If a light stuck on or something and it drained the battery, there might not be anything wrong at all with your key fob. I have the same issue to fix with a friend's 93. Their battery died and the key won't unlock the door.

Try this for ha has and see if it works.

Jack up the car, correctly of course and put jack stands under it.

Let me repeat, put jack stands under it.

Put a battery charger + cable on the hot side wire to the starter and the neg side to the frame. If it is pulling a charge, let it charge a bit and then see if the FOB will open the door.
Whatever happened with your door lock problem?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:04 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RIC96
I had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in my knee on Jan 20th. Event though I have felt better and we had a couple warm days, my friends won't let me work on their car until I am completely healed and it warms up outside.

I will post what I find out when I find out
Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 PM
93driver
7th Gear

Default results of cannot open doors

I got AAA to open the car and charge the battery so it could start. I took it to the local Chevy dealer and I was told they have it fixed. Will see tomorrow. They said something about a light had been left on. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Welcome to the world of C4! Would you mind telling us ....how did AAA get the car open?

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 02-01-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:03 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Same with my friends. I spoke to them today and they had the brilliant thought that their insurance covered it under the roadside assistance clause. Someone came out and slim jimmed the door for them.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:01 AM
93driver
7th Gear

they had an air bag that they slide beside the window glass and inflated it enough to get a flexible metal rod in and pushed the door lock open. Once we got it open he hooked up a quick start battery to the car battery and it started right away. Took it to a dealer to make sure there was nothing wrong.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:24 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

This still doesn't explain why the door would not open with the key.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:52 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Today we are supposed to hit 42, tomorrow 51, that will bring the temps of the motor up since we have been running below 0 temps here for a bit in Ohio and the metal in the engine (etc) is cold. I'll open the garage door tomorrow, warm it up and then Monday I'll test the scenerios out on my '96 and see what happens.

Of course I am going to open the hood :-). I am going to start it and let the battery charge up (I do every once in a while) and let the engine warm enough to get any condensation out of the oil. After this, I will lock it with the key FOB, both manually using the buttons and letting it automatically lock the car and then see if the key will open it.

I am going to do the same with my friend's car, even though they have it opened.

Maybe other folks can do the same and report back the results including the year of the car so it can be determined if there is a pattern to this.

Get notified of new replies

To Cannot open doors with key

Old 02-02-2019, 12:17 PM
93driver
7th Gear

This still doesn't explain why the door would not open with the key.
according to the dealer the 'dome light' was on. I am not sure how a convertible has a dome light, but they said that they turned it off and charged the battery and all is well.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 PM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

according to the dealer the 'dome light' was on. I am not sure how a convertible has a dome light, but they said that they turned it off and charged the battery and all is well.
What RIC96 is getting at (and what I was talking about in my reply above) is that the key is a manual process, not an electric one. Even if the battery is dead the key should unlock the car.
The following users liked this post:
RIC96 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:32 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drcook
Today we are supposed to hit 42, tomorrow 51, that will bring the temps of the motor up since we have been running below 0 temps here for a bit in Ohio and the metal in the engine (etc) is cold. I'll open the garage door tomorrow, warm it up and then Monday I'll test the scenerios out on my '96 and see what happens.

Of course I am going to open the hood :-). I am going to start it and let the battery charge up (I do every once in a while) and let the engine warm enough to get any condensation out of the oil. After this, I will lock it with the key FOB, both manually using the buttons and letting it automatically lock the car and then see if the key will open it.

I am going to do the same with my friend's car, even though they have it opened.

Maybe other folks can do the same and report back the results including the year of the car so it can be determined if there is a pattern to this.
What do you mean, "manually using the buttons"?

Quick Reply: Cannot open doors with key