Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Callaway Corvettes: how were they ordered and delivered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:32 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Callaway Corvettes: how were they ordered and delivered?

This is probably a question for Callaway Chris...
Can someone explain the process by which a Callaway Corvette was ordered and delivered?
Would the process start always with a Chevy dealer, or would someone just contact Callaway and have Callaway work through a local dealer?
Was it common to pull cars off the lot and ship them to Callaway, or were most sent from the assembly plant to Callaway? I'm assuming most got shipped directly from the plant to Callaway, not from a dealer's lot to Callaway.
Also, why did the Bowling Green plant not just ship engine-less cars to Callaway?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:10 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123
This is probably a question for Callaway Chris...
Can someone explain the process by which a Callaway Corvette was ordered and delivered?
Would the process start always with a Chevy dealer, or would someone just contact Callaway and have Callaway work through a local dealer?
Was it common to pull cars off the lot and ship them to Callaway, or were most sent from the assembly plant to Callaway? I'm assuming most got shipped directly from the plant to Callaway, not from a dealer's lot to Callaway.
Also, why did the Bowling Green plant not just ship engine-less cars to Callaway?

Great question, thanks for asking.

The majority of Callaways were built between 1987-1991 under RPO B2K and were drop-shipped from the Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green, KY after the dealer placed their order in the GM System. They were built with particular equipment on the line (SEO Z5G) and then sent to CT for final assembly.

Any dealer could order through RPO B2K, once B2K was established in the GM System.

Some Corvettes came to Old Lyme directly from dealer inventory and as such, do not have the RPO on their Service Parts Identifier (SPI) Label. It also will not show "Old Lyme" and "Callaway" not he Build Sheet if sent in this manner. Those cars, all but a few, were built identical to ones which carried RPO B2K. Exceptions were the last few in 1989, the last 1989, and a couple others, as I recall. In 1987 and 1988, it was done mostly to "prime the system" or keep flow of vehicles, and to keep up with demand.

I was trying to recall if there was ever a Corvette shipped without an engine, and while I thought there was, I cannot find documentation. That's not to say it went to Callaway, but that a handful of cars left BG Assy. without engines. I'd have to look back at that further, but for the purposes of this discussion, all cars came with engines, which were pulled from the Corvettes, then rebuilt and their pad stamped with Callaway identifier codes, and sequenced back into production. The first handful of cars received truck blocks, again to prime the system.

I hope this helps. Any further questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks,
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (02-01-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 AM
kdm123
Pro

Very, interesting. Thanks for replying!

I always thought that the engines were pulled by Callaway and then sent back to GM, and that the engine that Callaway installed was an engine that they put together separately. So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that Callaway used the engines in the existing car that was sent to them, and then just pulled the engine, rebuilt it with performance parts, and put the same engine back in the same car?

If many of these cars were sent from dealer inventory, why would the window sticker say "Callaway" and "Old Lyme, CT" as their final destination? Weren't those window stickers placed in the cars as they left the Bowling Green assembly line? I always thought that if Old Lyme was the destination on the window sticker, that that meant that the cars were shipped directly from the Bowling Green factory to Callaway.

Thanks again! This is a very interesting discussion because it shows us how a large car manufacturer is able to tailor their assembly and shipping process for a small number of specialty cars. I used to own a 1995 Mustang Cobra R, and it was very interesting how they were able to put together that car alongside the hundreds of regular Mustangs that came off the same assembly line. Most of the mods on the R model were done on the assembly line, but then the car was shipped to a contractor to have further equipment installed, including such things as the car's fuel cell.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:41 AM
kdm123
Pro

By the way, I own a 1990 Callaway. My build sheet does not show the B2K option, yet the sticker on the inside of the center console does show the option code. The window sticker also says "Old Lyme" as its final destination.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:03 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Very, interesting. Thanks for replying!

I always thought that the engines were pulled by Callaway and then sent back to GM, and that the engine that Callaway installed was an engine that they put together separately. So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that Callaway used the engines in the existing car that was sent to them, and then just pulled the engine, rebuilt it with performance parts, and put the same engine back in the same car?

If many of these cars were sent from dealer inventory, why would the window sticker say "Callaway" and "Old Lyme, CT" as their final destination? Weren't those window stickers placed in the cars as they left the Bowling Green assembly line? I always thought that if Old Lyme was the destination on the window sticker, that that meant that the cars were shipped directly from the Bowling Green factory to Callaway.

Thanks again! This is a very interesting discussion because it shows us how a large car manufacturer is able to tailor their assembly and shipping process for a small number of specialty cars. I used to own a 1995 Mustang Cobra R, and it was very interesting how they were able to put together that car alongside the hundreds of regular Mustangs that came off the same assembly line. Most of the mods on the R model were done on the assembly line, but then the car was shipped to a contractor to have further equipment installed, including such things as the car's fuel cell.

the cars which were sent from dealer inventory do not say "Old Lyme" on the Build Sheet, and don't have the RPO B2K, but can be easily identified by Calling Callaway. Callaway's database, in all the years I've worked there, has uncovered some cloned cars. Perhaps ones which were wrecked and rebuilt with another VIN, or the one where an owner swapped EVERYTHING from a blue car to a red one.

Engines were pulled in CT and then reassembled "with the good stuff" inside. Still 5.7L in displacement, but completely re-worked. As it was, Callaway had a handful of blocks/engines, and worked "forward" from there vs. taking time to pull the "original" engine, then rebuild that one. The one from a few cars back got the Callaway stampings on the pad, then put into whichever car was up for production that day.

The hoods were also numbered. It correlated to the car #. Once I saw a car which might have been #24 from a year. But had hood #26. Both were the same color/trim vehicles. So the hood went on the other car. The owner, who bought new, got a smile from that story. I could write a book...
Old 02-01-2019, 11:04 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

By the way, I own a 1990 Callaway. My build sheet does not show the B2K option, yet the sticker on the inside of the center console does show the option code. The window sticker also says "Old Lyme" as its final destination.

SPI Label in glove box will say B2K when build sheet does not. Should show Z5G on 1988-1991 cars though, on the build sheets.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:08 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

please do,,a large pic book is a great idea

before everybody forgets
The following users liked this post:
Callaway Chris (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:10 AM
kdm123
Pro

Hmm, I'm confused.

My car (1990) does not have the B2K listed on the build sheet.
It does not show the Callaway option on the window sticker.
However, it shows the B2K option on the glove box options sticker.
The window sticker shows "Old Lyme, CT" as delivery destination.

Another car I looked at--the 1988 #3 car--does not show the B2K option on the build sheet either, but it does also show "Old Lyme" as the destination on the window sticker. (Not sure what the glove box option shows.)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:14 AM
kdm123
Pro

Wrote my last message before I saw your other post.
My build sheet doesn't show the Z5G option.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:47 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Wrote my last message before I saw your other post.
My build sheet doesn't show the Z5G option.

email me a copy of your sheet. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:57 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
please do,,a large pic book is a great idea

before everybody forgets

I've been working on another book the past 7 years. Slow process, unfortunately.

There is a recent book though which I proofed the chapter on Callaway. Perhaps you have seen it - here's a link:

Amazon Amazon

Old 02-01-2019, 04:14 PM
kdm123
Pro

Coincidentally I was going to ask you why you haven't yet written a book on Callaway. Considering all the racing they've done and GM projects they've been involved with, there is definitely a need.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:20 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Coincidentally I was going to ask you why you haven't yet written a book on Callaway. Considering all the racing they've done and GM projects they've been involved with, there is definitely a need.

Perhaps in my next life. Family keeps me busy, and I still have one kid at home, - plus, life is pretty busy with work, too.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:18 PM
kdm123
Pro

Window sticker and build sheet. Don't have a photo of the SPI label, but it does show the B2K option.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

how many C-4s you folks build and any decent guess of how many are still around?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Window sticker and build sheet. Don't have a photo of the SPI label, but it does show the B2K option.

Are those original documents, or reprints from the National Corvette Museum?

Old 02-02-2019, 10:07 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
how many C-4s you folks build and any decent guess of how many are still around?

510 were built from 1987-1991 (plus one 1986 included in the count). Most are still registered
Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 PM
kdm123
Pro

Chris, the window sticker looks to be original. I'm assuming the previous owner got the build sheet from the museum.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Corvettes: how were they ordered and delivered?

Quick Reply: Callaway Corvettes: how were they ordered and delivered?