C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Seat belt test

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 PM
koranke
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Seat belt test

I was looking at a 1989 Corvette. I'm aware that there was a recall for the seat belts where some belts could lock up. The car I looked at clearly didn't have this problem, but I decided to test the shoulder belt to confirm that it locks. I could not get it to lock. First I tried pulling quickly on the shoulder belt multiple times (this would easily cause the belt to lock in my Civic). After that didn't work, I tried a slow speed, sudden brake test that was abrupt enough to trigger the anti-lock brakes. Still the shoulder belt did not lock up. I'm curious if this is normal for the C4, that it's normal to not be able to manually get the belt to lock or if this indicates that the belts need to be replaced. For anyone with a C4, can you get your shoulder belt to lock?

Last edited by koranke; 01-31-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Pulling the belt won't lock it. There is a weight inside that swings and locks it at a certain G force. Try a harder stop.
The following users liked this post:
koranke (01-31-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 223 Posts

Wrong answer ,I just had two sets apart I replaced with new after market belts . ( I really work on them )The seat belts are not wired to anything just bolted the floor and the side post NO wires NO G force deal just springs and that's it . The sudden pull forward locks the belts that's it ,no majestic here ,Like I said I just took two apart and checked them out just springs and leavers no wires no anti brake deal no G-force ( fast pulling of the belt ) that's it nothing but springs and leavers .. Icard Seat belt solutions $280.00 shipped ,get you a set might save your rear . If they don't lock NOT working ..
Old 02-01-2019, 09:20 AM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by radar502
Wrong answer ,I just had two sets apart I replaced with new after market belts . ( I really work on them )The seat belts are not wired to anything just bolted the floor and the side post NO wires NO G force deal just springs and that's it . The sudden pull forward locks the belts that's it ,no majestic here ,Like I said I just took two apart and checked them out just springs and leavers no wires no anti brake deal no G-force ( fast pulling of the belt ) that's it nothing but springs and leavers .. Icard Seat belt solutions $280.00 shipped ,get you a set might save your rear . If they don't lock NOT working ..
Not the wrong answer at least for my '87 and '90. I've also had them apart and re-tensioned the return springs. The design probably changed over the years.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:29 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
Not the wrong answer at least for my '87 and '90. I've also had them apart and re-tensioned the return springs. The design probably changed over the years.
My 92 is the same way, as are the couple of replacement belts I have ordered for it (which I think came off an 86). They are an inertial lock, not a retraction force lock, the vehicle has to be in motion to get them to lock.

A slow speed stop may not be enough to get it to lock. If you can take the bottom unit off the car, tilting it in an orientation other than exactly how it is mounted in the vehicle should tell you pretty quick if it will lock or not.

Nope, no wires. They are based on a mechanical pendulum, if you look inside you'll see a little piece of wire with a weight on the bottom that hangs straight down when positioned as the in-vehicle orientation. When that moves from that orientation, the belts lock. Yours may have been otherwise broken of course, but thats how the 92 and 86 dated ones I have work.

That said, it is unnerving to have a belt that works in a different manner than pretty much everything else, a replacement set may put peoples mind at ease.

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-01-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 AM
radar502
Safety Car

That I was saying there is no majestic in the belts just the sudden pull forward on the belts locks them in place if that does not work broken belt .. People need to know the truth about these belts if you grab the belt and give it a ****** and it does not lock them you need to fix it or new belt . People seem to have the impression that there is something else controlling the belts NO ABS brakes NO wires going to nothing if I hit something hard the belts will NOT activate from some module or something NO just some springs and rollers not much in the little box at the bottom of the belts . If not working not working simple its all the little box at the bottom of the belts no were else .. Give them a pull if not locking replace them . Your life may depend on the these belts working right ..
Old 02-01-2019, 10:12 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

That I was saying there is no majestic in the belts just the sudden pull forward on the belts locks them in place if that does not work broken belt .. People need to know the truth about these belts if you grab the belt and give it a ****** and it does not lock them you need to fix it or new belt . People seem to have the impression that there is something else controlling the belts NO ABS brakes NO wires going to nothing if I hit something hard the belts will NOT activate from some module or something NO just some springs and rollers not much in the little box at the bottom of the belts . If not working not working simple its all the little box at the bottom of the belts no were else .. Give them a pull if not locking replace them . Your life may depend on the these belts working right ..
No, no external device is controlling it. It is mechanically controlled by a pendulum in the mechanism. My guess would be if you were to take your old belts, hold it in an orientation that is not as it is installed in the vehicle, it will be locked.

Here is a good thread explaining the internals with pictures: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-lock-up.html
The following users liked this post:
koranke (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Very few people now how to work on these Corvettes and even less know how they work ,when a Corvette stops working this is what they here , solenoid module solenoid BLA BLA and don't understand any of it . I work on them and I don't understand all myself . I have even called GM and they don't understand some of it either some of the components of the Corvette are built by out side vendor and they have failed to explain to GM how it works ( Ele stuff ) GM says just replace it . I have called and asked how does this work ( we don't know ) a long story for another time . I talk to lots of people who own these Corvette and they think that all the parts are plugged into something and they are going to work and of Corse the seat belts are going to work they are plugged in to something that going to make them work . I want people to understand who read this NOT plugged into anything and all you got in a old C-4 20-25 years or older is some rusted and worn out parts more that likely in a little box bolted the side of your old 25 years old Corvette and you need to have them checked out . I just don't want to see people get hurt cause they think of Corse the seat belts are going to work its a safety deal ( NOT SO FAST ) need to the them checked by someone who knows what they are looking at and everybody that owns a Corvette don't need to read the damn manual .. Go get them checked out ....
Old 02-01-2019, 05:53 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I have had my 88's apart. They do not lock by pulling on them. They DO lock when the reel is oriented forward of it's level mounting position. I personally never liked this design as it can be ineffective in a rollover. But, it is what it is and I'd say they changed this design somewhere along the C4 line, just not sure when.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belt test

Quick Reply: Seat belt test