C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

VIN numbers on body parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:46 PM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Default VIN numbers on body parts

Do C4s have VIN stickers on any body parts? I believe it was a Federal requirement for a few years, but I don't remember what year that ended.
Is there a VIN on the hood, or is there another number on the hood that would tell you if the hood on the car originally came with that car?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The last 8 digits of the VIN are stamped on the left vertical side of the frame rail just below where the battery sits. You have to remove the left rear wheel well liner to see it. I had heard that the VIN is also stamped on the right rear side of the frame just forward and above where the "dog bones" attached to their bracket. I think that those parts of the suspension have to be removed to see the VIN.

The hood (and most all other body parts) are generic parts so there would be no VIN on them. On the Assembly Line, hoods are matched to a body, but just for getting panel gaps correct and to get the body ready for paint.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I haven't seen the anti theft stickers on Corvettes. Possibly because they are low production. I have seen the stickers on a variety of higher volume GM models.

Get notified of new replies

To VIN numbers on body parts

Quick Reply: VIN numbers on body parts