Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

the LAST straw

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:14 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

It has that many miles and you have only owned it about 2 years ? You have $25000 in it ? Sounds like you greatly overpaid. Not to mention 5 brake booster failures? After the second repair maybe you should have been looking for another shop ( sort of new on here so forgive me if that issue was addressed previously)
Old 02-02-2019, 06:31 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I was going to ask what brand of boosters you were buying that were failing and did each one have the exact same failure?
Old 02-02-2019, 06:54 AM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

If you have the exorcism certificate to go with the CE it might help it sell! It’s definitely a unique part of its “service history” that no other C4 on the market can claim, lol.

How would you compare the power and acceleration of the SL to your CE? I know the engine is only rated at 302hp, but I’ve also heard claims that it is an underrated number from MB and that the car pulls a lot stronger than the 302 hp rating would suggest.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:54 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Sorry for the cancer, cancer sucks! Lost my soul mate wife to breast cancer after a 6 year fight and she died in my arms , at home. I too no can do the things I used to do to a car in the driveway. Just to old and very old hip injury prevents me from standing long periods and its hell getting up off my knees. Best of luck. dont be a stranger here
The following 2 users liked this post by ghoastrider1:
dharmadan (02-02-2019), johno504 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by CA1992C4
My friend bought a battery from O’Reilly’s Auto Parts for around $150 and we put it into his C4 in about 5 minutes. It’s a lot cheaper if you do it yourself.
Just spent $100 yesterday for a 850 cca battery for my truck yesterday from Walmart. Put one in the Vette last year for around the same $$. So far the Vette battery has been working fine as has the one in my daughters car.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Just spent $100 yesterday for a 850 cca battery for my truck yesterday from Walmart. Put one in the Vette last year for around the same $$. So far the Vette battery has been working fine as has the one in my daughters car.
Hopefully the warranty is good. Walmart branded products have, for me, sucked. I swore off their name brand stuff. Sure, it's private label but it's seemed to be made to a lower standard
Old 02-02-2019, 02:47 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Paid 10,100 with 87k miles @ B-J Scottsdale AZ , Did Not over pay for beautiful CA. car . The cost of pm and repairs has been brutal. As far as the issue of 5 boosters, please read my many posts on problem. Have yet to recover any $ on my claims with A1-CARDONE, They offered $400 "good will" money, told them straight out to **** off. I sure wish the exorcism worked. might have saved me some $ . speed of the SL vs LT4 goes to the Chevy I think. full exhaust and 6mt sounds and feels much more brutal.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:59 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Ya know what.... my first instinct was to pile on.... but Im gonna take a different path here. Cancer is a fekked up disease and I wish it on no one. I just lost a wonderful sister in law to it after a valiant fight.

So, I say this.... some have better luck than others on all kinds of cars. Ive owned 8 Vettes and 6 BMW's. NONE of the cars have ever given me more than an inconvenience as far as repairs. I guess Im lucky... whatever... In fact, I have a ZR-1 and a 528 in the garage right now.... both of which are great cars and haven't broken down on me once...

If your choice is a Benzo.... the SL is a wonderful car and way ahead of its time... Good luck to you on the cancer battle and your new ride!

Yeah I gave John a hard time with his brake booster. Then apologized.

Thing is John, given your situation, you are making the best choice by selling your vette. Life is short and the truth is owning these vettes (even the last year of the c4!) is a relationship better suited for people who like to repair and enjoy the "process" of doing it yourself. I say that because as you have proven, if you have to pay somebody to fix your vette for you, you might as well take that $700/month and just lease a new one.

For some of us, cost of ownership is incredibly cheap. For others, due to circumstances, its not.

Life is too short to be frustrated and pi$$ed off everytime you look at a car. You are making the right call to move on!

Be well. VikingTrad3r
The following users liked this post:
johno504 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

Life is too short to be frustrated and pi$$ed off everytime you look at a car. You are making the right call to move on!

Be well.
This
Old 02-03-2019, 01:29 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

So sorry to hear about your battle with the "Big C", John. I'm tempted to share my experiences, but I won't. My Corvette has had a few struggles, too, and I've learned that old cars and old bodies both need lots of TLC, but we're both doing fine now! The Corvette just passed its 17th CA smog test with flying colors! The guys at the smog shop were very complimentary. Make the most out of every day!

We'd probably be surprised how many here on this forum have been touched by cancer!

Old 02-03-2019, 08:51 AM
BillDurant
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I just replaced my battery Walmart $86.00
installed it myself. It requires removing wheel well wall and lower plate drivers side
1/2 hour job
Old 02-03-2019, 11:47 AM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

I know that BILL, but I was stuck in a parking lot with no tools . DYI was not an option , so I paid the Corvette Tax. It won't happen twice.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Hello John. Sorry to hear about your health and I hope you are getting better.

If I was closer I would help with things I know how to do which isn’t much but I do know how to replace the battery and I just did that August last year or about 6 months ago and it need to be replaced again. I think I have a short or it’s a bad battery. I have went through numerous repairs over the years but my Achilles Heel has been the clutch and it needs to be replaced again, it was done right to begin with.

I also own a 2018 Ford Focus RS and over on their forum the cars a lots of them would like to add is a Corvette and the C4 at that! They like the fact that it is “Analog”. The C4 is different and that’s what they like or at least some of it. You might want to consider keeping it if it is finally running right since you put a lot of cash in it already, I know I have done that too! I don’t do much of the work either so it has cost me over the years also. When it acts up like it is now I park it in the garage drive one of my other cars and get to the Corvette when have time. It seems to me that my car breaks down at the end of the driving season and I have the winter to try and figure out how or who to fix it!!!
Old 02-03-2019, 08:15 PM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

Thank you for your kind offer Mr Corleone . I live in a historic district in New Orleans with almost no off street parking . Can't bring the SL home until I figure out what to do with the C4 . Donation may be the quick easy way out, but I have to check with my cpa to see how that will work for me. My plan from day 1 was to donate to St Jude., but I had no idea I would put 25k into the car. such is life.....
Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Good luck John with the new car and with health.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
Paid 10,100 with 87k miles @ B-J Scottsdale AZ , Did Not over pay for beautiful CA. car . The cost of pm and repairs has been brutal. As far as the issue of 5 boosters, please read my many posts on problem. Have yet to recover any $ on my claims with A1-CARDONE, They offered $400 "good will" money, told them straight out to **** off. I sure wish the exorcism worked. might have saved me some $ . speed of the SL vs LT4 goes to the Chevy I think. full exhaust and 6mt sounds and feels much more brutal.
Good luck with your health.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you have the means to be driving much newer, more powerful vettes. Most C4's at best are classified as "mechanic's specials" at this point and need lot's of work. And if you can't do that work yourself, spend your hard earned money elsewhere, these cars (C4's) aren't worth it. That may **** a few people here off that think the C4 is the best car ever made but just like a boat, a C4 is a hole in the ground (instead of water) you just dump money in.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pacoW
Good luck with your health.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you have the means to be driving much newer, more powerful vettes. Most C4's at best are classified as "mechanic's specials" at this point and need lot's of work. And if you can't do that work yourself, spend your hard earned money elsewhere, these cars (C4's) aren't worth it. That may **** a few people here off that think the C4 is the best car ever made but just like a boat, a C4 is a hole in the ground (instead of water) you just dump money in.
A lot of people got pissed when I said that so get the flame suit on.

A boat? Don't they say that the boat owner is happiest on the day he gets it and on the day he sells it?
Yukon Corleone (02-04-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To the LAST straw

Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
A lot of people got pissed when I said that so get the flame suit on.

A boat? Don't they say that the boat owner is happiest on the day he gets it and on the day he sells it?
What you said is very true and if you had to put a fire proof suit on for telling a fact those that were manning the flame throwers are missing some reality. When I bought my 91 I did so knowing any car close to 30 years old is going to have issues. The great thing about it though is that a C4 can be bought in drivable condition for cheap. Bought mine as a toy and while I could have obtained a much newer one with fewer issue I just really enjoy the profile of the C4.

The thing is, because it was bought cheaply, if it gets to the point maintaining it gets in the way of the enjoyment I get from it I can walk away. At this time however every improvement I make to it, be it aesthetic or mechanical I enjoy those victories.
Yukon Corleone (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules
What you said is very true and if you had to put a fire proof suit on for telling a fact those that were manning the flame throwers are missing some reality. When I bought my 91 I did so knowing any car close to 30 years old is going to have issues. The great thing about it though is that a C4 can be bought in drivable condition for cheap. Bought mine as a toy and while I could have obtained a much newer one with fewer issue I just really enjoy the profile of the C4.

The thing is, because it was bought cheaply, if it gets to the point maintaining it gets in the way of the enjoyment I get from it I can walk away. At this time however every improvement I make to it, be it aesthetic or mechanical I enjoy those victories.
True but the constant grind of going to GM for stuff that wasn't engine and trans related was what soured me. Constantly hearing "Obsolete" and having to go dumpster diving and not being sure if and when you will have stuff.

Spent too much money so waiting for motor to die and then sent to crusher and start with something newer is my plan. Maintenance mode, No more high dollar mods.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:02 PM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

A sad fact for me is the **** poor quality of replacement parts. soo much china crap on the market it sucks. pay to fix an issue once ,ok, stuff happens to old cars . pay to replace the same part 2 , 3 ,5 times will **** of the Pope, professional labor means little today . about 25% of the CE pm/repairs had to be done at least twice. the back and forth for comeback taxi rides cost me a few hundred dollars alone. have had numerous old sports cars over the years which I enjoyed working on. now it is pay to play, and it can out of hand quickly if the work is farmed out.

Quick Reply: the LAST straw