C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Surprise Finds

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:12 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Surprise Finds

Being that most of us bought our cars used, some quite used, it's not uncommon to find little surprises along the way. The majority of these surprises are of the negative variety, especially considering the age of the cars.
That said, i did run across quite a positive surprise this weekend. I bought the car a year and a half ago from my brother, who bought it from the original owner. I always noticed that my front calipers said "Corvette" on them. I figured the previous owner put covers on them. I didn't think much of it until i started shopping for brake pads. I checked them out and the 'Corvette" aren't covers but the calipers actually say it. i text my brother, who contacted the original owner and what do you know? They've been upgraded to C5 brakes! Nice to find a surprise of the positive variety once in a while.

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-04-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

My surprises were mostly great.
*My LT1 has a lot of low end torque
*It drove "better" and was more fun than the C6 I had when I got the C4
*It shifted SO good!
*The Roof fit in the back (I didn't think that was a feature of the earlier, C4)
*It got/gets over 30mpg on road trips; 2-3 mpg better than the C6 did.
*It had "no" rattles.

The one bad surprise? Someone had let loose a confetti bomb in the car. I was finding confetti everywhere, for a long time.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I found the original owner's paperwork. The sales papers and insurance cards were tucked into the back of the owner's manual.

These papers backed up and verified that I am the 2nd owner and the story that was told to me when I bought it. The car was bought for her 50th birthday and then sat for most of the 10 years prior to 2016. For some reason it was traded in and I got to it pretty quickly. It does have the 1996 HVAC issue, so maybe that was the problem, or she had health issues or simply it was an impulse buy that didn't turn out to be quite what she thought.

Averaging out the mileage, it equated to 590 miles per year put on the car before I bought it in July 2016 with 11,800 miles.

Last edited by drcook; 02-04-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Damn....that car was a find! ^^^ Cool that you got the papers that echoed the story.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,439 Likes on 2,799 Posts

How did your c6 ger worse fuel economy than your c3? That doesnt make sense, my C6 GS still gets better fuel economy than my c4, and both are sticks. The c6 sits a few hundred rpm below the c4 at cruising speeds.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Timg203
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idea if base model 16x8.5 rims will fit on an 86 Z51?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by FAUEE
How did your c6 ger worse fuel economy than your c3? That doesnt make sense, my C6 GS still gets better fuel economy than my c4, and both are sticks. The c6 sits a few hundred rpm below the c4 at cruising speeds.
Are you talking to me? I don't have a C3. This thread was about surprises in our C4's. I was happily surprised that my '92 LT1 will easily get over 30mpg on a ROAD TRIP. My C6...would not. Both are sticks. Both have a 3.45 rear and a .5 6th...so they both run/ran the same RPM at the same speed.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

After I had my car for awhile I decided to do a through cleaning and discovered a little clear plastic bag full of green plant material under the drivers seat.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Randy M
After I had my car for awhile I decided to do a through cleaning and discovered a little clear plastic bag full of green plant material under the drivers seat.
with that thought in mind, every owner of a used car should do a thorough inspection even up to the point of possibly asking the LEO that you see a lot (etc) if they would let the dog sniff it. can prevent an unexpected surprise down the road.

we never think about things like this, who would have thought that someone forgot their bag under the seat, especially in a Vette. Not that a Vette owner would not have partaken, but that they forgot that it was there.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:47 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
with that thought in mind, every owner of a used car should do a thorough inspection even up to the point of possibly asking the LEO that you see a lot (etc) if they would let the dog sniff it. can prevent an unexpected surprise down the road.

we never think about things like this, who would have thought that someone forgot their bag under the seat, especially in a Vette. Not that a Vette owner would not have partaken, but that they forgot that it was there.
I had the fun of finding a bag of white powdery stuff in a car once, not my Vette. I tossed it in the creek near my house quickly. Didn't ask, didn't want to know.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think they forgot about it, I think they lost it. Probably fell out of a pocket and down in between the seat and the console. They had no idea where they lost it.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF
I tossed it in the creek near my house.
Please don't toss anything in our waterways! There's no telling how that water might be used just downstream. Please keep our waterways clean!

Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Please don't toss anything in our waterways! There's no telling how that water might be used just downstream. Please keep our waterways clean!

It ended up in the Ohio River if anywhere. A little baking soda... or take your best guess what it actually was, wasn't going to bother that waterway back in the 90's.

Besides, once that happens you are in possession of it. Period. Unless you happen to know an officer well. I was a scared teenager in possession of an illicit substance. No thanks, no regrets.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:12 PM
drcook
Safety Car

My point about a thorough search and/or getting a drug dog sniff test in today's world, with DUI checkpoints, that employ drug dogs, you would have been charged with possession as there is not way you could not have proved it was not yours without extensive/expensive tests to prove no drug usage and making sure that any fingerprints off the bag were pulled, but if they (police) would have touched it with bare hands, they would have corrupted evidence, which might have been an out.

I have a dumb *** family member who was in a car that got pulled over and because the drugs were under the passenger seat,where certain dumbass was sitting (absolutely not yours truly, I would not risk my security clearance which I still sort of have, plus other licenses) they were charged with possession and I believe the charges stuck.

I have gone through my car thoroughly even though the prior and only owner was a woman who had turned 50 in 1996.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:29 PM
KyleF
Drifting

I have gone through my car thoroughly even though the prior and only owner was a woman who had turned 50 in 1996.
I know grey hairs that smoke pot!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Geez, all I’ve ever found in any of my cars was a few pieces of stale chewing gum and a few corroded coins.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:01 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by skyhawk50
Geez, all I’ve ever found in any of my cars was a few pieces of stale chewing gum and a few corroded coins.
Better than the dead rodent or the used.. well the used ones that you pick up with the vac or tongs :-) Watching Junkyard Empire it was amazing what they found when dismantling cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Surprise Finds

Old 02-05-2019, 09:10 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I found like a buck seventy under the seats when I pulled them to vacuum. But when I changed the heater core I struck gold.
When I pulled the center console, on my way to pulling the dash, I found a gold bracelet stuck to the tunnel with old soda. Cleaned it up and gave it to my daughter.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:30 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Owner's business card, hot red lipstick, some coins, Jimmy Hendricks tape, and the plastic handle thingy off the top stowage lever in the hatch. Was really pleased to find the handle thingy and the Hendricks tape plays like new. Lipstick not my color.

Last edited by rblakeney; 02-05-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:57 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

My 89 was purchased from the second owner. When I pulled out the trays in the rear compartments found the front license plate filler with screws still taped on, pre- delivery inspection sheet, a $$$ saving coupon book from the selling dealer and a overdraft notice from the original owners bank. I honestly believe the second owner didn't know the trays came out.

Quick Reply: Surprise Finds