Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

About to go postal

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default About to go postal

I have been trying for hours to adjust the drivers window on my 89. I have looked at more then one video and read lots of articles I get one part adjusted, and the other end of window is off. I’m either to high or to low on window height The window is either on the outside of weather seal or to tight on the inside of seal. If I EVER got it right just once, I promise I will never open it again. Well, I’m retired and I have all day tomorrow. I didn’t want a life any way. 👍

Last edited by mlm0; 02-11-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounds like you really needed to just "walk away".

I've found that really helps...eventually...on those frustrating jobs.

Good luck with getting it adjusted to satisfaction.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm going through the same thing on my 88. I replaced the regulator because the motor went bad. I just had the car painted so hopefully while putting everything back together I can get it aligned. The guy who painted it used to work for a Chevy dealer and said he would give it a try.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

The best thing you can do is outline where all of your bolts are BEFORE you disassemble it, if possible. These windows are a major pain to get realigned because of the curve in them. You really just have to spend a lot of time with it and see how it moves and get closer and closer to fitting as you go. I think getting the front of the window to sit in the A pillar molding gets you in the right direction sooner.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

I have to adjust my '93 passenger window... I did a lousy job when I replaced the motor a few months ago & I'm dreading this one... For now the window just stays up (a bit too high).
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Sounds like you really needed to just "walk away".

I've found that really helps...eventually...on those frustrating jobs.

Good luck with getting it adjusted to satisfaction.

Been there too at times! It is MUCH better for your sanity to just let it be for a while - coming back to it later. Makes ALL the difference coming at it fresh sometimes!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM
mlm0
Drifting

It’s a new day and I’m ready to hit it again. This is a new door so I can’t use the original bolt positions to start with.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
mlm0
Drifting

I DID IT! I am the king of Window adjustment. People will come to me far and wide just to listen to my wisdom. Corvette forums will try to buy my knowledge

All kidding aside I did get it done, and now it seals great. Took me a while, but after I figured out what I was doing wrong, it did not go too bad

if I can do it, ANYONE can do it

hang in there, got to go make other problems to fix

Mike
Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

So tell us what magic you figured out.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by mlm0
I DID IT! I am the king of Window adjustment. People will come to me far and wide just to listen to my wisdom. Corvette forums will try to buy my knowledge

All kidding aside I did get it done, and now it seals great. Took me a while, but after I figured out what I was doing wrong, it did not go too bad

if I can do it, ANYONE can do it

hang in there, got to go make other problems to fix

Mike
Congrats. It's amazing how difficult adjusting the windows on a C4 can be. I have done the regulators on both sides of mine and it took a lot of trial and error to get thing perfect. I changed the regulator and motor on my GMC recently and it was a bolt in deal with no adjustments necessary. On the vette it's in the same line as the heater core project.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:31 PM
mlm0
Drifting

I agree , no big secrets, just a lot of trial and error to make it right. My big problem was that I had the bracket that catches the bottom of the window to limit the height the window can go up adjusted wrong, and was not stopping the window at the correct height When I looked at it, it looked ok, but when I finally felt it with my hand as the window was going up, I discovered the window was missing it entirely. After fixing that, it was not to bad.

Last edited by mlm0; 02-12-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

There is a bracket with one bolt near the front of the door to limit the forward height, the guide in the rear of the door with two bolts limits the rear of window height limit.
The Guide also has a bolt inside the door that controls the inward tilt of the side window.

I Loosened the inner front limit bracket and rear guide, then adjusted my side glass to roughly fit the A pillar roof and B pillar via the window to regulator bolts.
Then i adjusted the bolt inside the door on the guide scissor bracket, to get the angle of top of the side windows.
NOTE the bump rubber guides at top of door, will help in the final angle of front and rear to touch the weatherstrip evenly.
It is a heavy trail and error process, i set it to just touch the targa and A pillar weatherstrip at the door first click.
When the door is fully closed there is a little pressure all round the weatherstripping, Use a small strip of paper to feel the tension as you pull it.
Repeat that strip of paper check to make sure all the weatherstrip makes good contact.

Some brands of weatherstripping are thinner and need the weatherstripping mounting guide to be moved a little.

Good Luck
You will get the hang of it eventually and it does take many attempts to get it just right.

Get notified of new replies

To About to go postal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to go postal