C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help ..removing 6 spd transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:31 PM
1990CONV
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help ..removing 6 spd transmission

I am in the middle of removing my transmission and came to a stop. I read some were that you did not have to remove the shifter. I tilted the transmission down and the shifter is still going thru the tunnel. I can put it in 1st or third and there looks to be about 3 inches of clearance before hitting the tunnel. It that enough room when I start to pull it out or does it drop down as I pull? I looked at the service manual for shifter removal and it looks like a PITA to remove. The shifter is a short throw but looks like the same removal procedure. Please forward your experience and knowledge. Thanks
Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Shifter removal

I just pulled my shifter to install a short shifter. It wasn’t too difficult, but if the consensus is that you can pull the trans with the shifter, that’s how I would do it. If you do decide to pull it, I can give you a few tips. Good Luck!

Regards,
John
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 871 Posts

The assembly will tilt down. You need to put the transmission in 3rd to allow enough clearance.

Just make sure you have undone all the all the necessary parts in the shifter condolecto allow it to come down.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:32 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I did not take the shifter off to remove the trans on my '96. It will tilt low enough that the shifter will clear the tunnel when you pull the transmission back. I did have to take off the shifter **** and the shift boots.

I followed the procedure in the link below.

He has a lot of good information about ZF's on his site too if you look around there. I have also talked with him and bought some parts from him. He is very helpful and good to work with.

http://www.zfdoc.com/transmission.htm

Good luck.

Last edited by QCVette; 02-19-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:42 PM
1990CONV
Advanced

WOW .. Thanks for all the info
Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

If you have to fiddle with or remove the C-beam, taking the opportunity to install Bill Boudreau's C-beam plates will convert reinstalling the C-beam from a real pain in the azz to a "no brainer" WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM
1990CONV
Advanced

Thanks I sent him an email a few days ago with no response. I saw that his plates are being offered by ZIP Corvette so I put them on order.I should receive them by Friday.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
If you have to fiddle with or remove the C-beam, taking the opportunity to install Bill Boudreau's C-beam plates will convert reinstalling the C-beam from a real pain in the azz to a "no brainer" WORTH EVERY PENNY!
Hey Paul, you mean like these? They should look familiar, as it's your old car...

1990CONV,
I just talked to Bill last week. He is suffering through a battle with kidney stones right now. Be patient, he will respond soon, I'm sure. He's a great guy.

Regards,
John

Get notified of new replies

To Help ..removing 6 spd transmission

Quick Reply: Help ..removing 6 spd transmission