Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Buying car sight unseen from private party (out of state), anyone do it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Firevette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran

Default Buying car sight unseen from private party (out of state), anyone do it?

Long story, found another car a want, its a project car.$2k

Owner has been helpful and forthcoming with tons of pictures and details that I have asked.

Ive looked into transport companies to get the car here, and its realistic for me given the price of the car.

My issue is I have no idea how to make the transaction while not being present. I need to make sure I get the car and title, and the seller doesnt walk away with my 2k.

Anyone done this before, suggestions?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

i bought my z06 from a dealer just ne of atlanta, it was a certified car, i had him take a whole boatload of pictures in areas i would be inspecting. then i had a forum member do an inspection of the car before i signed the papers. then the transport people did their own inspection to check for any damage, which was a good thing. when i received the car and the driver and myself inspected it, there was a scratch on the right front bumper cover that was on the driver's inspection report. the dealer made good on the repair.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I've done it twice. Once with a boat, once with a car. Get lots of high res pics. Lots. HIGH res.

Establish a relationship with the seller. See if the "feel" legit/honest. If they don't want to play, in any regard, walk away. Also, look for forum members in the area where the car is...pay 'em to go have a look/drive.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:52 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like you are satisfied with the description and pictures. I had a larger vehicle purchase where an out of state buyer was buying my vehicle. He had a lawyer down there and asked if I had a lawyer that would hold my title in escrow. Once his money was sent to, and verified by, my lawyer, my lawyer sent the title and gave me the funds. This may be an option for you only in reverse. For smaller amounts there are online Escrow companies that you both can sign up for and they will hold the funds and title and release to both parties at the right time.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:26 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I did it once and it didn't turn out well. As everyone said. Get high-resolution pictures and build that relationship. Also, don;t be afraid to ask forum members local to where the car is for help. I had a gentlemen from the IROC boards go look at an IROC for me in Ohio years ago and i've done the same in Birmingham. Worth a shot at least.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Firevette
Long story, found another car a want, its a project car.$2k

Owner has been helpful and forthcoming with tons of pictures and details that I have asked.

Ive looked into transport companies to get the car here, and its realistic for me given the price of the car.

My issue is I have no idea how to make the transaction while not being present. I need to make sure I get the car and title, and the seller doesnt walk away with my 2k.

Anyone done this before, suggestions?
I'm not big on relationships and guessing when it is that far away with a total stranger. Everyone sounds good BEFORE money changes hands. I always assume the seller is a moron and/or a crook. If I cannot do a PDI, and I don't trust him to get one since I have no way to verify how honest the mechanic is without me. Get an escrow service.

Screw the relationship. Get an escrow service and pay a bit more. https://www.escrow.com/what-is-escrow
Old 02-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Firevette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm not big on relationships and guessing when it is that far away with a total stranger. Everyone sounds good BEFORE money changes hands. I always assume the seller is a moron and/or a crook. If I cannot do a PDI, and I don't trust him to get one since I have no way to verify how honest the mechanic is without me. Get an escrow service.

Screw the relationship. Get an escrow service and pay a bit more. https://www.escrow.com/what-is-escrow
I agree, I was actually just researching that. Seems straight forward.

Ill tell yall what is a racket, is auto shipping. They are like vulchers.....and half of them dont speak english real well.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:30 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

When I bought my 88 I tried for 3 weeks to get it shipped. Finally gave up rented a Uhaul trailer and picked it up myself.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:46 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Did it once on ebay. Guy had a good rating but the car was a piece of junk. He did take it back and I feel lucky I only lost $1000.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by auggy
Did it once on ebay. Guy had a good rating but the car was a piece of junk. He did take it back and I feel lucky I only lost $1000.
How much was the car going for? I think it was like $65 cost for the escrow and I'd split it with the seller.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Firevette
I agree, I was actually just researching that. Seems straight forward.

Ill tell yall what is a racket, is auto shipping. They are like vulchers.....and half of them dont speak english real well.
Pay with Amex and they will speak whatever the other party speaks if problems occur.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Pay with Amex and they will speak whatever the other party speaks if problems occur.
I agree with using American Express. Almost all the "card" purchases I make are American Express. For the couple of the "bad" issues I've had over the years AMEX really stepped in and insured I was taken care of.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying car sight unseen from private party (out of state), anyone do it?

Quick Reply: Buying car sight unseen from private party (out of state), anyone do it?