Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Center hvac grill mounting screws

Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Ray0214

Default Center hvac grill mounting screws

1996. Does anyone know the size of the mounting screws than go to the center hvac vent grill. Iím taking grill off as part of climate control head removal and would like to have new screws to put back in. Thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Small with feet so they can run and hide from you. A dab of black model paint will cover screw driver witness marks. You could also remove 1 and match it at hardware store.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Ray0214

Default Thanks

I know I can dab a little paint on them, not sure about getting at hardware store but will see. Another stupid question regarding the shift plate and itís rubberized coating.. what touch up paint would you recommend to cover some blemishes. Iíve seen shift plates fir sale and actually bought one but they donít match rest if interior so I sent it back
Old 02-27-2019, 03:53 PM
FresnoVette
CF Member

St. Jude Donor '17

I havent looked for a while, ebay had "screw kits" for reasonable prices. maybe not the OEM exact part.
These were clean and fit well.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:17 PM
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member

My recollection they are pretty specific with a torx head and small captured washer. They are pretty well hidden, any reason for new.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 PM
Ray0214

Just cautionary. I started taking them out to remove radio and climate control bezel to remove climate control head and repair it. Screws coming out if the vent grill are extremely hard coming out so I stopped. Just afraid I might bugger up screws by the time I get them out
Old 02-27-2019, 10:02 PM
ChumpVette
CF Senior Member

You will break the plastic before you break the screw. That is if you have the bit completely seated in the screw head.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Ray0214

Default Size of torx

So I donít mess up heads does anyone know what size torx heads are for the two screws thatís have to be removed?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Gunho
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ray0214 View Post
I know I can dab a little paint on them, not sure about getting at hardware store but will see. Another stupid question regarding the shift plate and itís rubberized coating.. what touch up paint would you recommend to cover some blemishes. Iíve seen shift plates fir sale and actually bought one but they donít match rest if interior so I sent it back
someone on here had his bead blasted. Took the rubberized coating off to bare plastic. It looked like new. For 94-96 you can buy new. But for a 93, they are hard to come by....
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 PM
Ray0214

New ones that you can buy from many on-line vendors claim the finish matched OE, but they donít at all. They are more if a matte finish. I was able to find a used one that has the exact matching finish thatís on my corvette. I havenít put it in yet. I was curious if anyone knew the torx head size of the center a/c vent that has to come off, as I donít want to bugger up the head of the screws by experimenting on the torx size
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
belairbrian
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FresnoVette View Post
I haven't looked for a while, ebay had "screw kits" for reasonable prices. maybe not the OEM exact part.
These were clean and fit well.
I bought one of those screw kits. It does not include screws for vents. Bunch of others not included as well. Anything with the plastic cutting type screws are not included. Anything that would have a hex head, like the radio bezel is not included.

Here is the list of what is included

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
belairbrian
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gunho View Post
someone on here had his bead blasted. Took the rubberized coating off to bare plastic. It looked like new. For 94-96 you can buy new. But for a 93, they are hard to come by....
I think it was JoeC that first did the bead blasting. I followed his approach over the last couple weeks and really like the results. Joe used Stoner trim restorer to bring them back to the black color, They are sort of gray after blasting. I used Mothers, back to black since I had it already.

here is a before/after of my plate

Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

I used plastidip on my shifter trim. It worked wel.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Ray0214

Default Color?

Looks good, which plastic coat did you use? Flat, matte, gloss??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center hvac grill mounting screws

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: