C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Completely Dead Battery

Old 03-04-2019, 07:19 AM
johngammel
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

I did do a load test right at the beginning. I'll try the back-to-back tests later today as I need to leave for the C1 breakfast group meeting soon.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 AM
johngammel
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I tested, did a retest and then another retest. All was fine. Left with the conclusion that some light was on. Obviously wouldn't notice what it was a completely dead battery. When I charged it I opened my blade disconnect. Maybe I closed the glove box or something else that "fixed" the drain. I'll never know.

Thanks for all the input. Never really thought about the antenna but my knowledge has increased and maybe when someone else from "my" Corvette club has this problem I can offer some thoughts.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:42 AM
KMS88Cal#16
CF Member

You should check your lights on your vanity mirrors. With the mirror covers closed you can hardly notice them on. My battery on my Vert went dead and that was the cause.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 AM
johngammel
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine aren't powered unless the car is on and they were both switched off. Is that correct operation?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 PM
bobpur
CF Member

I had a battery drain in my '87. It turned out to be a battery cable wasn't tight enough. I didn't want to get them too tight when I put the battery in and wasn't tightening them enough.
During that time someone told me that there is a constant drain on the battery due to the electronics in the car. Eventually, if not run regularly, the battery will die. Nothing bad just the nature of the beast. Get a maintenance charger.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 AM
johngammel
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

There is a constant drain of .02 amps on mine after everything settles. I drive both my '61 and '88 on a regular basis - although I do have the clock in my '61 disconnected which I think is good practice. I'll recheck the battery connections and see what I find. They feel tight but we have snowbird company here to enjoy the 80 degree weather.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KMS88Cal#16 View Post
You should check your lights on your vanity mirrors. With the mirror covers closed you can hardly notice them on. My battery on my Vert went dead and that was the cause.
Yup!

That reminds me: In a pitch black garage, I discovered a convenience light in one of the 3 cubbies behind the seats of my wife's '69 Vert that I ddin't even know was there. There was just a trace of light outlining the lid of the compartment. Twaz a bad switch causing the problem.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:44 PM
johngammel
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Went out last night well after dark. No lights could be seen. Oh well - will just monitor it and see what happens. Left with the only idea being that something was on and I didn't notice it because the battery was dead. Arggh...
Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 AM
ZHammer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hcbph View Post

I had something in the console well that was pressing on the power seat switch continuously. Same scenario as you described.

Here's a picture of a meter I found at HF. You pull a fuse out of the fuse panel, plug it into the meter and plug the meter into the fuse panel where the fuse was located and it will show how much draw is going on that circuit. It can be very useful to figure out what's pulling that much juice. You can even check the relays in it if you make up some jumpers to adapt the relay to the meter.

Hope that helps.
That thing is AWESOME. Off to check my HF after the snow storm...THANK YOU.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:19 AM
ZHammer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by johngammel View Post
Went to drive my '88 yesterday and my 700 CCA Delco battery was totally dead - the doors, hatch and hood were closed. I had driven it the week before to/from a car show in Ft. Myers without any problems. I've also never had anything like that with this car in almost 20 years. Battery purchased new 11/2015. Charged it until this morning and charger indicated it was fully charged. Tested with my Schumacher resistance box and it was fine. Car started fine and voltage per gauge was 14.3. Before I start checking current drain and pulling fuses any quick thoughts?
Same thing just happened to me. My battery is a NEW Interstate and itís only about two months old. It was dead after sitting for about 4weeks. Charged and checked the systems and couldnít find anything wrong. Itís never done that before either....strange.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: