C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

To Bose or not to Bose

Old 03-07-2019, 12:44 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jay23ls View Post
But seeing the antenna go up is kinda cool! haha
I don't look at it going up. Some girls might like to watch it but I just drive on. Maybe you can also put some lube and work it into the antenna joints?

Last edited by aklim; 03-07-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Vette Jockey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RIC96 View Post
The C4 is just so noisy that the benefits of a quality system will be lost unless you are parked with the engine off. You may get louder sound, but not better.
Especially, in a Roadster, top up or top down! Mine is playing okay and I like it stock. I have a cassette adapter (purchased at Radio Shack) that is plugged into my phone and I usually use it for music.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:26 PM
gpierce
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vette196 View Post
anyway you slice it its a $1K investment.
If you buy all new top of the line stuff without going overboard, I agree. However, it doesn't have to be 1K if you can run wire yourself..

There are a glut of great used 1 din head units out there, $50-100. Pioneer makes some great separates for 80, good 6x9s for 80, wiring around 50, maybe a good used 4 channel amp for 100. Add a dash kit and a few consumables for another 50. Now $4-500 total for a pretty decent system.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:27 PM
gpierce
CF Senior Member

I have 4-5 1 din head units sitting around on a shelf in my garage cause no one wants them anymore. All touch screen nowadays
Old 03-08-2019, 05:29 PM
gpierce
CF Senior Member

I replaced all my Bose stuff with a new set up, completely bypassing all of the factory wiring. I kept the amps, speakers and head unit in case I wanted to rebuild it later and put it back to factory.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 PM
RedRedRed
CF Senior Member

It’s all personal preference, and I appreciate hearing everyone’s opinions and suggestions, it’s helped me figure out what I want to do. I think for me, I agree with the not-to-Bose opinions. As much as originality would be nice, I can’t see spending the bucks on restoring an old outdated system. I mean, I’m thinking that if it was tires: I wouldn’t run 28 year olds even if they still have a lot of tread life just to keep things original, right? And if I’m going to shell out the bucks, I’m not going to spend it on old-technology tire design, either. I want the best my money can buy. I’m not going after Blooming Gold certification, so as long as everything’s returnable to original equipment, it’s kind of the best of both worlds.

As far as the “exhaust-is-your-music” thinking, just turning it off and doing nothing is not what I want to do either; I do plan to install a new system. The car’s an L98 automatic with stock exhaust. As Corvettes go, it’s a pretty mild one, and although I haven’t had the chance to really get it out on the road yet, aside from a short test drive, I don’t expect it to be much of an audiological experience all by itself. Besides, on long stretches of road, interstate, etc., the engine’s not really singing through the gears in any car.

My C6, on the other hand, does give good sound with the six speed and Corsa sports. Still, I like to have music to listen to and the sound system is easily heard, even with the top off. I’m just running the factory non-Bose head unit with upgraded speakers. When the first factory speaker blew, I replaced them all with Rockford Fosgate 2-ways. It’s not high end sound quality, but it’s more than good enough for my enjoyment. I was thinking I’d want to replace the head unit, too, but I’m OK with it as is – maybe that’s because of the exhaust sound blending in!

I really don’t mind running new speaker wires, it’s just a little more work. I’m hoping that Crutchfield can guide me through what to connect to, what to disconnect, etc. I’m also hoping that if I tap into the factory harness for the head unit and leave the CDM hooked up, I won’t get error codes since there would be no open connections. I just need to make sure that leaving the CDM connected doesn’t cause any problems. I’ve got some research to do, I guess.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:37 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedRedRed View Post
I really donít mind running new speaker wires, itís just a little more work. Iím hoping that Crutchfield can guide me through what to connect to, what to disconnect, etc. Iím also hoping that if I tap into the factory harness for the head unit and leave the CDM hooked up, I wonít get error codes since there would be no open connections. I just need to make sure that leaving the CDM connected doesnít cause any problems. Iíve got some research to do, I guess.
That is the easy part. The harder part is to decide what you want. For example, do you want to build your own enclosures or do you want to do that or do you want to get the non-Bose enclosures and use non-Bose sized speakers like I did. As to the CDM, I haven't gotten a code
Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 AM
ZHammer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jay23ls View Post
But seeing the antenna go up is kinda cool! haha

Yes it is.......haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Bose or not to Bose

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: