C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette snow story

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 04:37 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Corvette snow story

I really don't think you should drive a Corvette in the snow. Evidently a Baltimore football player does not agree and left a party at 4 am in his 2016 in snowy conditions and promptly slid it into a tree. This was near the football training facility. His passenger decided to walk home but he stayed with the car and was asleep when the police arrived. Maybe not a smart move since the car contained a handgun and copious amounts of weed. The team cut him within hours. So if you want to play in the snow ,don't do it with a Corvette.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Sound like less of a Corvette snow story and more of a drunk NFL newbee with more money than sense.

A cautionary tale either way. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I gather that Brainiac wasn't on the honor roll...
Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I would never consider driving my Corvette in the snow. I don't think it would end well. Its parked safely in the garage until April at the earliest.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:35 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

They really aren't that bad in the snow.

Granted they are not good in heavy snow, but most winter driving is ok. Tires make the biggest factor in whether it works or not. Some of my summer tires are horrible. Some tread patterns work pretty well.

I drove a '94 and an '88 all year in IL including snow. They work fine. You can not drive like an idiot though. If you try to use the summer performance of the car on icy roads it is an invitation to disaster. I you drive carefully the cars are actually pretty stable and drive fine.

In '94 a chevy ad even called it the all weather sports car.

That being said, I have never driven my current Corvettes in the winter snow (due to salty roads). But it is not because of driving/handling issues, it is because I don't want the salt on the car.

Good luck and be careful if you drive them. (I can't wait for spring!)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

They won’t melt. I got 4 C4’s and garage space for 3.........
Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
i really don't think you should drive a corvette in the snow. Evidently a baltimore football player does not agree and left a party at 4 am in his 2016 in snowy conditions and promptly slid it into a tree. This was near the football training facility. His passenger decided to walk home but he stayed with the car and was asleep when the police arrived. Maybe not a smart move since the car contained a handgun and copious amounts of weed. The team cut him within hours. So if you want to play in the snow ,don't do it with a corvette.

he chose poorly.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I really don't think you should drive a Corvette in the snow. Evidently a Baltimore football player does not agree and left a party at 4 am in his 2016 in snowy conditions and promptly slid it into a tree. So if you want to play in the snow ,don't do it with a Corvette.
I think there is some seriously flawed logic happening ^there^. The important lesson from this would be:

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Sound like less of a Corvette snow story and more of a drunk NFL newbee with more money than sense.

Leaving a party
4 am
Weed in the car

Come on, people. A Corvette...any car is perfectly driveable in snow with
*proper tires,
*a modicum of driving skill,
*some confidences and awareness.
I doubt that NFL player had any of the above when he left that party.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It's been a tough winter here in California, too! Just look at that snow!!!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:39 PM
auggy
Pro

Any car in the snow. I can't believe someone from Utah said that. You need some ground clearance for heavier snows. You might need some real snow tires. You might need chains by law. At least they do in some of the other states around there. Four wheel drive comes in real handy on occasion. Now if your Corvette is your only vehicle, I understand why you might need to venture out with it in the snow.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
auggy
Pro

CVS has waterfront?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:50 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

CVS has waterfront?
Big money in caring for all the sick people in Cali...

Totally kidding. I can't imagine the taxes on that place or worse when they sell and the next guy buys it. I would enjoy shopping there though.

Last edited by pologreen1; 03-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:24 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
It's been a tough winter here in California, too! Just look at that snow!!!

Pass.....occasional Nor'easter vs deadly wildfires & earthquakes

Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Any car in the snow. I can't believe someone from Utah said that. You need some ground clearance for heavier snows. You might need some real snow tires. You might need chains by law. At least they do in some of the other states around there. Four wheel drive comes in real handy on occasion. Now if your Corvette is your only vehicle, I understand why you might need to venture out with it in the snow.
Man, I've plowed snow, up to the top of the hood, with my wife's Caddy CTS-V.

Here, I pulled into my work, parked. Decided I didn't want to park there, so backed up...Then I pulled forward to the front of the building. Plowing snow the whole way.

I've "daily'ed" my C4 to my office which was at about 10,000' in Telluride year round -and that was on summer tires! -Note the ski tracks behind the car; that was "The Shop Trees" -how we skied back to the Mtn Ops building...

A person can get chains for any car. I'll admit, I wouldn't likely drive my 'Vette on a mountain pass (where chain laws are implemented) on a day where chains are required. But I HAVE driven a GTA with Gatorbacks from Sunday River Maine, to Mass in a blizzard. Yeah, that car was plowing snow with the front end too. But typically, when it's dumping, I'll drive my Duramax, or our little putt-putt Subaru that is shod with Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires.

Because I CAN do it....I chose to live in the mountains, in UT...and occasionally drive a car that "you can't do that" with, in the snow. The dude in the OP wasn't "screwed" by a 'Vette in the snow....he was "screwed" by is own stupidity.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-13-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Wall-E
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts
Default If you know what you’re doing Corvettes are fine in the snow

At worse even after a significant storm like this one - a N’oreaster - roads are clear and smooth hardback to numbered highway about 100 yards away within hours of snowfall ending. On hard pack if you know what you’re doing a Corvette is no more difficult to drive than any other RWD car.
Way back when I spent a winter working in Denver and went skiing EVERY weekend in my 68 4 speed - often to Aspen and Vail and that was BEFORE the Eisenhower Tunnel was completed that eliminated driving over Loveland Pass ... considered to be especially treacherous during the winter months. A steep, steady 6.7% grade, along with numerous hairpin turns on either side, make it difficult to snowplow the road regularly.

Loveland is the highest mountain pass in Colorado that regularly stays open during a snowy winter season[2]. When the Eisenhower Tunnel opened in March 1973, it allowed motorists on Interstate 70 to avoid crossing the pass directly.

Never got stuck - once.

a few whiteknuckled trips - yes

[img]blob:https://www.corvetteforum.com/066ad404-e55b-41d2-ad11-1d46bc56a92d[/img]
My daily driver being dug out. Around here roads are well plowed and down to pavement or smooth hard pack within hours of end of snowfall.
r
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Man, I've plowed snow, up to the top of the hood, with my wife's Caddy CTS-V.

Here, I pulled into my work, parked. Decided I didn't want to park there, so backed up...Then I pulled forward to the front of the building. Plowing snow the whole way.

I've "daily'ed" my C4 to my office which was at about 10,000' in Telluride year round -and that was on summer tires! -Note the ski tracks behind the car; that was "The Shop Trees" -how we skied back to the Mtn Ops building...

A person can get chains for any car. I'll admit, I wouldn't likely drive my 'Vette on a mountain pass (where chain laws are implemented) on a day where chains are required. But I HAVE driven a GTA with Gatorbacks from Sunday River Maine, to Mass in a blizzard. Yeah, that car was plowing snow with the front end too. But typically, when it's dumping, I'll drive my Duramax, or our little putt-putt Subaru that is shod with Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires.

Because I CAN do it....I chose to live in the mountains, in UT...and occasionally drive a car that "you can't do that" with, in the snow. The dude in the OP wasn't "screwed" by a 'Vette in the snow....he was "screwed" by is own stupidity.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I dig it!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 PM
Wall-E
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Photo that should have been attached to my post above : Wall-E

my daily driver being shoveled out after N’oreaster ... one nice thing about the C4 in winter is how quickly it gets warm inside because of extremely small cabin ... except for coldest days (below 20) can drive with window down and heat on ...
Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I would never consider driving my Corvette in the snow. I don't think it would end well. Its parked safely in the garage until April at the earliest.
Yes I agree. I got caught in a snow storm once in my '89 'vette.... wasn't a very pleasant experience. Wouldn't choose to do that again!
But there are some on this forum who claim their vettes are excellent in the snow!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...he-snow-5.html

Check it out, full of posters of questionable intelligence who like to argue, and drive their vettes in the snow! "Because they can"
Just wait I'm sure the next reply in this thread will be from one of them! Hahahahaha

Last edited by mako41; 03-19-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Well there certainly are two perspectives on driving sports cars in snow, right? If I had to choose, I'd certainly rather be that person who CAN....than the alternative.

That was quite a relic that you linked. Been clinging on to that one for a while? I wonder who said that their 'Vette was excellent in the snow. I don't recall that (or anything like that) ever being said. In either thread.
IDK if you noticed, but THIS thread was about someone who went to a party, got ****-sauced, left at ~3am in some snow, then wrecked their 'Vette. You think it's the 'Vette's fault?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-19-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette snow story

Quick Reply: Corvette snow story