Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette snow story

Old 03-05-2019, 04:37 PM
auggy
CF Senior Member

Default Corvette snow story

I really don't think you should drive a Corvette in the snow. Evidently a Baltimore football player does not agree and left a party at 4 am in his 2016 in snowy conditions and promptly slid it into a tree. This was near the football training facility. His passenger decided to walk home but he stayed with the car and was asleep when the police arrived. Maybe not a smart move since the car contained a handgun and copious amounts of weed. The team cut him within hours. So if you want to play in the snow ,don't do it with a Corvette.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM
billschroeder5842
ZenVette Master level VII
Support Corvetteforum!

Sound like less of a Corvette snow story and more of a drunk NFL newbee with more money than sense.

A cautionary tale either way. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In II Veteran

I gather that Brainiac wasn't on the honor roll...
Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 AM
mazdaverx7
CF Senior Member

I would never consider driving my Corvette in the snow. I don't think it would end well. Its parked safely in the garage until April at the earliest.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:35 AM
QCVette
CF Senior Member

They really aren't that bad in the snow.

Granted they are not good in heavy snow, but most winter driving is ok. Tires make the biggest factor in whether it works or not. Some of my summer tires are horrible. Some tread patterns work pretty well.

I drove a '94 and an '88 all year in IL including snow. They work fine. You can not drive like an idiot though. If you try to use the summer performance of the car on icy roads it is an invitation to disaster. I you drive carefully the cars are actually pretty stable and drive fine.

In '94 a chevy ad even called it the all weather sports car.

That being said, I have never driven my current Corvettes in the winter snow (due to salty roads). But it is not because of driving/handling issues, it is because I don't want the salt on the car.

Good luck and be careful if you drive them. (I can't wait for spring!)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:58 PM
skyhawk50
CF Senior Member

They won’t melt. I got 4 C4’s and garage space for 3.........
Old 03-13-2019, 05:37 AM
ZHammer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by auggy View Post
i really don't think you should drive a corvette in the snow. Evidently a baltimore football player does not agree and left a party at 4 am in his 2016 in snowy conditions and promptly slid it into a tree. This was near the football training facility. His passenger decided to walk home but he stayed with the car and was asleep when the police arrived. Maybe not a smart move since the car contained a handgun and copious amounts of weed. The team cut him within hours. So if you want to play in the snow ,don't do it with a corvette.

he chose poorly.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

I really don't think you should drive a Corvette in the snow. Evidently a Baltimore football player does not agree and left a party at 4 am in his 2016 in snowy conditions and promptly slid it into a tree. So if you want to play in the snow ,don't do it with a Corvette.
I think there is some seriously flawed logic happening ^there^. The important lesson from this would be:

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Sound like less of a Corvette snow story and more of a drunk NFL newbee with more money than sense.

Leaving a party
4 am
Weed in the car

Come on, people. A Corvette...any car is perfectly driveable in snow with
*proper tires,
*a modicum of driving skill,
*some confidences and awareness.
I doubt that NFL player had any of the above when he left that party.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Hot Rod Roy
CF Senior Member

It's been a tough winter here in California, too! Just look at that snow!!!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:39 PM
auggy
CF Senior Member

Any car in the snow. I can't believe someone from Utah said that. You need some ground clearance for heavier snows. You might need some real snow tires. You might need chains by law. At least they do in some of the other states around there. Four wheel drive comes in real handy on occasion. Now if your Corvette is your only vehicle, I understand why you might need to venture out with it in the snow.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
auggy
CF Senior Member

CVS has waterfront?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:50 PM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

CVS has waterfront?
Big money in caring for all the sick people in Cali...

Totally kidding. I can't imagine the taxes on that place or worse when they sell and the next guy buys it. I would enjoy shopping there though.

Last edited by pologreen1; 03-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:24 PM
vette196
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy View Post
It's been a tough winter here in California, too! Just look at that snow!!!

Pass.....occasional Nor'easter vs deadly wildfires & earthquakes

Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Any car in the snow. I can't believe someone from Utah said that. You need some ground clearance for heavier snows. You might need some real snow tires. You might need chains by law. At least they do in some of the other states around there. Four wheel drive comes in real handy on occasion. Now if your Corvette is your only vehicle, I understand why you might need to venture out with it in the snow.
Man, I've plowed snow, up to the top of the hood, with my wife's Caddy CTS-V.

Here, I pulled into my work, parked. Decided I didn't want to park there, so backed up...Then I pulled forward to the front of the building. Plowing snow the whole way.

I've "daily'ed" my C4 to my office which was at about 10,000' in Telluride year round -and that was on summer tires! -Note the ski tracks behind the car; that was "The Shop Trees" -how we skied back to the Mtn Ops building...

A person can get chains for any car. I'll admit, I wouldn't likely drive my 'Vette on a mountain pass (where chain laws are implemented) on a day where chains are required. But I HAVE driven a GTA with Gatorbacks from Sunday River Maine, to Mass in a blizzard. Yeah, that car was plowing snow with the front end too. But typically, when it's dumping, I'll drive my Duramax, or our little putt-putt Subaru that is shod with Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires.

Because I CAN do it....I chose to live in the mountains, in UT...and occasionally drive a car that "you can't do that" with, in the snow. The dude in the OP wasn't "screwed" by a 'Vette in the snow....he was "screwed" by is own stupidity.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-13-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Wall-E

Default If you know what you’re doing Corvettes are fine in the snow

At worse even after a significant storm like this one - a N’oreaster - roads are clear and smooth hardback to numbered highway about 100 yards away within hours of snowfall ending. On hard pack if you know what you’re doing a Corvette is no more difficult to drive than any other RWD car.
Way back when I spent a winter working in Denver and went skiing EVERY weekend in my 68 4 speed - often to Aspen and Vail and that was BEFORE the Eisenhower Tunnel was completed that eliminated driving over Loveland Pass ... considered to be especially treacherous during the winter months. A steep, steady 6.7% grade, along with numerous hairpin turns on either side, make it difficult to snowplow the road regularly.

Loveland is the highest mountain pass in Colorado that regularly stays open during a snowy winter season[2]. When the Eisenhower Tunnel opened in March 1973, it allowed motorists on Interstate 70 to avoid crossing the pass directly.

Never got stuck - once.

a few whiteknuckled trips - yes

[img]blob:https://www.corvetteforum.com/066ad404-e55b-41d2-ad11-1d46bc56a92d[/img]
My daily driver being dug out. Around here roads are well plowed and down to pavement or smooth hard pack within hours of end of snowfall.
r
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
Man, I've plowed snow, up to the top of the hood, with my wife's Caddy CTS-V.

Here, I pulled into my work, parked. Decided I didn't want to park there, so backed up...Then I pulled forward to the front of the building. Plowing snow the whole way.

I've "daily'ed" my C4 to my office which was at about 10,000' in Telluride year round -and that was on summer tires! -Note the ski tracks behind the car; that was "The Shop Trees" -how we skied back to the Mtn Ops building...

A person can get chains for any car. I'll admit, I wouldn't likely drive my 'Vette on a mountain pass (where chain laws are implemented) on a day where chains are required. But I HAVE driven a GTA with Gatorbacks from Sunday River Maine, to Mass in a blizzard. Yeah, that car was plowing snow with the front end too. But typically, when it's dumping, I'll drive my Duramax, or our little putt-putt Subaru that is shod with Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires.

Because I CAN do it....I chose to live in the mountains, in UT...and occasionally drive a car that "you can't do that" with, in the snow. The dude in the OP wasn't "screwed" by a 'Vette in the snow....he was "screwed" by is own stupidity.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

I dig it!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 PM
Wall-E

Default Photo that should have been attached to my post above : Wall-E

my daily driver being shoveled out after N’oreaster ... one nice thing about the C4 in winter is how quickly it gets warm inside because of extremely small cabin ... except for coldest days (below 20) can drive with window down and heat on ...

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: