C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

89 C4 sputters and rough idle while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 07:40 PM
nathan johnson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 C4 sputters and rough idle while accelerating

Good evening fellow Corvette enthusiast! I am new to the forum and almost at my wits end! I purchased a 1989 one owner Chevrolet Corvette C-4 with 76,000 miles in December from my boss. He took meticulous care of this vehicle and has sat in a garage at work covered for the past 15 years. In December I installed a brand new top-of-the-line battery with a higher CCA as well as A new alternator dura last gold. It ran fine for a month but then started to stall out as soon as I give it gas it sputters and then cuts off. Today I hired a mechanic and we tested the fuel pump and it was dead so we replaced it. Also replaced the fuel filter. Brand new ignition coil. Brand new air filter. Brand new full set of eight Bosch spark plugs. Brand new mass airflow sensor. Brand new fuel pump relay switch. After doing all of this it still sounds completely the same. If anyone has had this issue before please help before I dump any more money into this beautiful blue car prematurely!! Edit Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan johnson
Good evening fellow Corvette enthusiast! I am new to the forum and almost at my wits end! I purchased a 1989 one owner Chevrolet Corvette C-4 with 76,000 miles in December from my boss. He took meticulous care of this vehicle and has sat in a garage at work covered for the past 15 years. In December I installed a brand new top-of-the-line battery with a higher CCA as well as A new alternator dura last gold. It ran fine for a month but then started to stall out as soon as I give it gas it sputters and then cuts off. Today I hired a mechanic and we tested the fuel pump and it was dead so we replaced it. Also replaced the fuel filter. Brand new ignition coil. Brand new air filter. Brand new full set of eight Bosch spark plugs. Brand new mass airflow sensor. Brand new fuel pump relay switch. After doing all of this it still sounds completely the same. If anyone has had this issue before please help before I dump any more money into this beautiful blue car prematurely!! Edit Quote
What did he do to test the fuel pump? Did he check that it was priming? What is the Key On Engine Off fuel pressure? Did he test it for holding pressure when the key is turned off? Did he check for spark? Why is he changing the MAF for this? How did he determine it was bad?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a sputtering issue I couldn’t figure out in an L98 GTA I had with pretty much new everything EXCEPT IGNITION MODULE and I don’t see that on your list it was an INSTANT cure they’re cheap enough not to worry about the “dumping” money part..

Last edited by Y-bodluvr; 03-11-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Y-bodluvr
I had a sputtering issue I couldn’t figure out in an L98 GTA I had with pretty much new everything EXCEPT IGNITION MODULE and I don’t see that on your list it was an INSTANT cure they’re cheap enough not to worry about the “dumping” money part..
I'd test it first.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:21 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

BAD "brand new" MAF.....someone a few months ago had a terrible problem getting a "new" MAF to work (multiple units)
Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 PM
leadfoot33
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a similar issue, stall/stumble when parking lit speed in my 87 l98, turned out to be the EGR, i unplugged it from the passenger side and the issue went away. something to try
Old 03-12-2019, 01:16 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Pull the codes to see if the ECM gives any clues.

Check fuel pressure and manifold vacuum.

Did you check spark plug wires?

Get notified of new replies

To 89 C4 sputters and rough idle while accelerating

Quick Reply: 89 C4 sputters and rough idle while accelerating