C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

It's 1983 again!

Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 AM
MRPVette
CF Senior Member

If I wanted a rear engine car a Corvette would not be the car I would buy.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:12 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller View Post
I don't believe the whole frame flex story on the C8 either. In 2018, engineers have every available tool at their disposal and are heavily focused on high frame stiffness in any car they build. It's absolutely not even slightly hard to design a frame that resists flex. If they were really that incompetent, then we can go ahead and consider the C8 stillborn, because it will take at least 2-3 years to redesign it and by then the market will be dried up.

Also, it doesn't matter one bit how much power is being sent through it. The thing that twists a frame is torque, not power (yes, I said that). The amount of actual torque that a drivetrain can put through the frame is limited by traction, not power. A stock C4 can spin the tires in first gear, so that's the amount of twisting force that must be resisted by the frame. You can add more power and create that same traction-limited force at a higher speed, but you still can't exceed the twisting force that the tires can harness.

So to recap, the C8 will still be traction-limited in lower gears just like any other car, and there's no way that engineers created a frame that's less stiff than even a C4's frame. This is all just marketing BS leaked by GM to gin up interest in a 1000hp C8. And give them credit: it's working.
I think it's similar to the ZR-1 rumors of overheating during it's development. Someone heard something, misunderstood it and published it as "frames cracking".

BTW, the new car frame could be stiffer than the C4 and still crack if it's not strong enough. But the biggest problem with the rumor is that the powertrain isn't going to exert twisting forces on the frame, in a meaningful way.

Originally Posted by MRPVette View Post
If I wanted a rear engine car a Corvette would not be the car I would buy.
No worries there....Chevy isn't making a rear engine'd car.
Old Today, 06:37 AM
ZHammer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BacknBlack View Post
I was really hoping the C7 would look like a Jaguar E type when it was in the design stage. IMO, one of the best looking cars ever made. It's the reason I bought a C4, has the long nose and clamshell hood. The C8 will look like every other ME car on the market, and a bit more under-engineered than the others.

I have always loved those cars since I was a little boy. I even have a Hotwheel of one on my desk. A timeless classic. I remember when you could find them in fair shape cheap but not any more. Those days are long gone sadly.
Old Today, 06:38 AM
ZHammer
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=colo63sw;1599079972]I wish GM good luck with the C8. I'll just drive by in my 47 YO Pantera and smile & wave.

[/Q
UOTE]

That thing is AWSOME!
Old Today, 06:41 AM
ZHammer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hcbph View Post
Agree the E Type is gorgeous, but every British car I've owned or come up against has been an electrical nightmare over time/ If someone came up with a totally new wiring system for them that actually worked, I'd consider them. Until then - nope and have had a couple of chances over the years.
Painless wiring custom makes harnesses for those cars. They are easy to install and seem to fix the electrical issues those cars have.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: