C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Newbie here ..be easy ..lol..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 07:23 PM
BoostNJuice
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here ..be easy ..lol..

Hi all & thanks for the ad here quick question ,just got this 87 c4 dont know much about these cars anyways literally got on this site like 30 minutes ago.. this car appears to have d44 rearend , am I right ? Just asking so I know what I have .. Also if I was to put a ole sbc motor or a ls motor what motor mounts would I need for each type of motor ? I wanna put a 350/400 trans in car, what trans crossmember would work ? & what drive shaft that's rated to about 1000-1200 hp ? & length? Any help would be appreciated.. sorry about the crappy pic it's kinda dark here.

D44 ???

Last edited by BoostNJuice; 03-18-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Now for reality: slow down. You have what appears to be an automatic so if it's still oem it's a D36 differential. IMO if you plan to try and put a TH350 or TH400 into this car you're in for a surprise or two, as will 1000+ hp. You have a C-bean to deal with on the transmission for one thing and that's something without a special adapter that you're going to find for those other transmissions. I suspect to pull 1000+ hp will cost multiple times what you purchased the car for: Full frame, Ford 9" rear, pretty much everything replaced or manufactured from scratch.

I think dreaming is fine but you need time to get acquainted with your car and do a lot of reading here then set some realistic objectives. Not trying to come down on you, but you need to slow down there.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 PM
BoostNJuice
Heel & Toe

Thanks for quick reply : this car came with a manual as it still has clutch pedal in car .. Do u know who makes the c beam,or trans crossmember for the trans i wanna run ? Also. Car is caged front to back already , & yes I would rather have a 9inch in the back ,if this rear breaks ,i'll see about going that direction .. Guess I'll do more reading on here when I get time . thanks .
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Here's some OEM specs. on the '87 Vette:
Old 03-18-2019, 11:36 PM
Blackcorvette_85
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it came with a stick, it probably is the d44. If it were me and I wanted to build some serious hp I would go with the black tag zf6, you have the clutch pedal already, they came with these cars, so the drive line, c beam and everything else is pretty easy to get, will boll right up to a 350 and that tranny should hold up way better than the automatics.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:44 AM
BoostNJuice
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Here's some OEM specs. on the '87 Vette:
thanks for info i'll read it when I get time .. Have a terrific Tuesday .
Old 03-19-2019, 05:46 AM
BoostNJuice
Heel & Toe

Thanks for info black,corvette .. I really want to use auto trans though .,cause I already have them .. But I'll take a peek at that trans Ur talking about . thanks for info & have agr8 day.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostNJuice
Thanks for info black,corvette .. I really want to use auto trans though .,cause I already have them .. But I'll take a peek at that trans Ur talking about . thanks for info & have agr8 day.
If you're serious about converting to a

4L80E with a stall converter, you might want to contact Pete Polatsidis on the ZR-1 Registry site and talk to him about the conversion. Pete has converted a few ZR-1s to autos and developed the tail shaft assembly you'll need as part of the conversion.

Here's how to ID which differential you have...

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-19-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
3D-Aircrew (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

You are on a LONG road.

These cars especially any c4 older than 88 is not great for building up like you are thinking.

If you honest real advice tell us what your building purpose is. Racing, street etc.

If you just want power you bought the wrong car.

if you want power and challenge you have the right car. If you have disposable income you have the right car to build, if you have skills and tools you have the right car.

I have the interior and lights of a c4 left on mine. The rest is pretty much changed or modified to have it be fun.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

c-4s do not have a trans crossmember. There is a alum, C beams that goes twix the tranny and the rear end. Best of luck and dont forget the wave
Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM
BoostNJuice
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pologreen1
You are on a LONG road.

These cars especially any c4 older than 88 is not great for building up like you are thinking.

If you honest real advice tell us what your building purpose is. Racing, street etc.

If you just want power you bought the wrong car.

if you want power and challenge you have the right car. If you have disposable income you have the right car to build, if you have skills and tools you have the right car.

I have the interior and lights of a c4 left on mine. The rest is pretty much changed or modified to have it be fun.
Hey : yeah it's gonna be drag or 1/2. Mile drag only .. & unfortunately. i do not have,allot of,income .. But I'll try to get her built hopefully soon. Thanks for,info..
Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 AM
BoostNJuice
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
c-4s do not have a trans crossmember. There is a alum, C beams that goes twix the tranny and the rear end. Best of luck and dont forget the wave
yeah I knew it had a different kind of trans member than oridinary car & had a thing called C member , but never seen 1 as my car does not have on it as it's missing , so I have to get 1 or make 1 for my car ,in gonna use a 350 400 or pg trans in this car . also will put straight axle in if this rear gives out ..thanks for info & have a gr8 day..
Old 03-19-2019, 11:55 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

yeah I knew it had a different kind of trans member than oridinary car & had a thing called C member , but never seen 1 as my car does not have on it as it's missing , so I have to get 1 or make 1 for my car ,in gonna use a 350 400 or pg trans in this car . also will put straight axle in if this rear gives out ..thanks for info & have a gr8 day..
Not the best aero car either... Just saying.

What are the power levels you intend to make it hold? If you plan on getting traction and being competitive, you'll have to be a VERY serious vette guy. The drive line parts are going to ruin you, if you are 800hp+ with traction.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:25 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Since you do not have a lot of income, you might be better off with a supercharger kit...
IF you have the D44 AND IF you are willing to deal with occasional auto trans issues... AND IF you will settle for 500 HP.
Otherwise you're going to have a hard time doing what you plan to do with this particular car.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Hey : yeah it's gonna be drag or 1/2. Mile drag only .. & unfortunately. i do not have,allot of,income .. But I'll try to get her built hopefully soon. Thanks for,info..
FAST...CHEAP...RELIABLE

You can Pick only TWO!

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie here ..be easy ..lol..

Quick Reply: Newbie here ..be easy ..lol..