C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Left rear speaker not working after new radio install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Stepps
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left rear speaker not working after new radio install

So I had a new alpine cde175bt installed in my 94 coupe. I just wanted to bring the car into the new century so to speak,pair my phone and able to play my playlist etc... So when I purchased the system I told the guy I wanted to be able to put the original back in should I ever want to sell the car in the future. Ok so he explained I should bypass the cars amp to avoid any problems that might or might not arise in the future. What he didn't tell me was that every speaker also has its own amp and upon completion and after I drove off thinking it sounded fine , while I was adjusting the bass,treble, and balance I noticed the left rear wasn't working at all. This is when he informed me about the other amps. I purchased the radio with the bypass harness btw. He apologized and said I could bring it back in and he would test to see if it was either a bad channel on the unit itself or the speaker itself or the amp to the speaker. If it's the amp I have to order it from Chevrolet in order for me to be able to put it back to original someday if I choose. Sorry this is so long but my question is does this sound legit to you or what???
Old 03-19-2019, 07:36 PM
RedRedRed
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm no expert, but I think I can answer your question if it's just whether the installer is correct. He is. Search the forum for Bose and you'll find plenty of threads about replacing/repairing the speaker amps. The Bose system, particularly the amps located at each speaker, are prone to failing, even just from age, not use. The capacitors disintegrate over time. They can be repaired inexpensively (like for a few dollars each) if you're handy with a soldering gun, or they can be sent out to a few reputable places for rebuilding. You'll find the good repair shops in the threads as well.

I don't think you can still buy new ones from a Chevy dealer. You can buy new ones from various Vette vendors, but from what I've read, they are rarely the correct amp even though they say they are. Each original amp was designed for the specific location in a specific year and model of car - left rear for a year-specific coupe, left rear for a year-specific convertible, etc. You can also buy used ones from many other vehicles, but again, they won't be the ones that were designed for your application.

From what I've read, most people replace the Bose speakers along with the head unit. In most cases you can use the Bose enclosures once you've removed the amp and speaker.

Oh, and if you replace or repair the one bad one, plan on doing the other three.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 AM
Stepps
Advanced

Thank you, I was beginning to think I should've posted this in tech since your the only response I've had since I posted it. I did do some online research myself about it and called Chevrolet and you are correct- they don't make them any more. I did however assume that if I replace one there would be good chance others will go bad. I found on corvette central.com the whole housing enclosure with speaker and amp included for both left and right side so as soon as they are delivered I guess we'll see what happens. When u say that "they say they will work but don't" do you mean they are going to be useless and I should not even bother because it won't work or do you mean they are gonna blow rather quickly? Price wasn't nearly what the dealer wanted had they been able to get them for me. Dealer wanted $575 and change for the left and $600 and change for the right!!!! I got both from corvette central for $205.00 each.
Thank you for your input , much appreciated !!!
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Stepps
Advanced

Also what is my options then??? I'm already into this for $600 for the radio, harness and labor, and now the two speakers with amps. To be honest I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't setting my bass treble balance on the new radio. After all it's a Vette not a suburban ya know you're kinda right in the middle of speakers.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:31 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Not to step on your stereo update efforts, but this is exactly why I'm not touching the functioning stock Bose Gold Series in my '96. I won't replace it until it stops working or sounding good.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Stepps
Advanced

I know I know. I wasn't going to either, just wanted to be able to listen to my playlist and have hands free phone. I can return it to original someday if I end up selling it I kept the original system. If the new speakers don't work though I'll be doing just that. Live and learn right.

Get notified of new replies

To Left rear speaker not working after new radio install

Quick Reply: Left rear speaker not working after new radio install