Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Front seal on tranny is leaking.....

Old 03-21-2019, 03:34 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Front seal on tranny is leaking.....

How hard is to drop the tranny on a C4? Can I just separate it from the motor and slid it back far enough to pull the old seal out or do I need to drop it completely out? It only has 40,000 miles on a 95 and I just noticed 3 small spots it’s leaking from right under the inspection cover. I am guessing it’s the front pump seal. I am not new to any of this mechanical stuff but am new to owning a C4. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:32 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

The front pump on my 86 was leaking when I bought it. I pulled the tranny myself, in the back yard with the car up on blocks. You have to take the C-beam loose and support the engine. the tranny itself is like any other to pull. I took my tranny to a shop to be rebuilt " as long as its out" sort of thing. I am told when replacing the front seal, keep the torque Converter on it till your ready to work on it. By the way, the tourque in the 86 has the best stall speed. One from a V-6 s 10 pickup is the same I believe. best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
ZHammer (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:29 PM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
The front pump on my 86 was leaking when I bought it. I pulled the tranny myself, in the back yard with the car up on blocks. You have to take the C-beam loose and support the engine. the tranny itself is like any other to pull. I took my tranny to a shop to be rebuilt " as long as its out" sort of thing. I am told when replacing the front seal, keep the torque Converter on it till your ready to work on it. By the way, the tourque in the 86 has the best stall speed. One from a V-6 s 10 pickup is the same I believe. best of luck.
Thank you sir for your reply. Do you know what the stall speed is for a 95 Base C4? Would the torque converter from your car work on a 95? I will be doing the work in my new shop so I have plenty of room and tools. I am building lift blocks from wood so I can keep the wheels on it and have it lifted by some wood platforms. I HATE having to put jack stands under the plastic fantastic. It seems like there is no real good place to put them and think you aren’t wrecking anything. I know there are lift areas on the car and I used jack stands on these areas when I replaced the entire coolant in the car and had to take out the knock sensors. I never felt truly safe under there with my jack stands and I have the commercial kind for heavy duty work. I guess I am just weird...haha.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:35 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Pulling a C4 Transmission is a piece of cake. The hardest part is screwing the C Beam around, back and out of the way.

When diagnosing leaks at the front, examine the converter snout and pump bushing for wear. The bushing takes the pressure and if it is worn you'll do it all and it will leak anyway.
ZHammer (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by ZHammer
I never felt truly safe under there with my jack stands and I have the commercial kind for heavy duty work. I guess I am just weird...haha.
My car literally lives on jackstands. After a race, it's into the garage and up on stands. It survived the 7.0 mangitude Loma Prieta earthquake in the Bay Area in 1989 while on jackstands. You should have no problems with jackstands.
ZHammer (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by confab
Pulling a C4 Transmission is a piece of cake. The hardest part is screwing the C Beam around, back and out of the way.

When diagnosing leaks at the front, examine the converter snout and pump bushing for wear. The bushing takes the pressure and if it is worn you'll do it all and it will leak anyway.
Great advice..thank you
Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 383vett
my car literally lives on jackstands. After a race, it's into the garage and up on stands. It survived the 7.0 mangitude loma prieta earthquake in the bay area in 1989 while on jackstands. You should have no problems with jackstands.

i love that car!
Old 03-22-2019, 01:06 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
No, a 1986 converter won't work in a 95 for two reasons:
A: The spline count on the input shaft is different.
B: The converter clutch strategy in a 95 is Pulse Width Modulated. The clutch material in a PWM converter is different than a non-PWM converter. If you don't modify the transmission for non-PWM strategy, you must use a converter with the correct clutch material for PWM, or the clutch will quickly fail.

MAN! You guys are a wealth of information. I love this place.

Get notified of new replies

To Front seal on tranny is leaking.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front seal on tranny is leaking.....