Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default Replacing Front Speakers 1985 Corvette

I'm preparing to install speakers in my 85. Originally the car had the Bose system but when I redid the interior I gutted the system. I have new wiring running from a Pioneer head unit to two Kicker 6x9s in the rear. It's functional but I want to install new front speakers while I'm replacing the dash pad. I'm installing the speakers in the dash where there are none because I do not want to cut my new door panels. What are the best speakers to look for that will fit the best? I've read some other posts with people saying that the dash pad did not install correctly or was more difficult after installing
them. Also, is there anything I should know for installation?

I'll take some pictures while I do installation to help the next guy but wanted to get some tips before I started this. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you saying you have door panels with no holes at all in them? Personally I think the doors are better than the dash, you can fit sixes there:

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK073

For 4x6 speakers in the dash I like Polk DB 462, but any 4x6 is going to be pretty weak in the bass department.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

My doors have the holes for the speakers but the new door panels I purchased do not have holes, they're solid carpet over plastic like a non-Bose car. I do not want to cut into these door panels because they aren't cheap. I've got plenty of bass from the 6x9s in the rear currently, just want to complete the sound a little bit more.

These ade are what I was looking at: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K64...fx.html?tp=100

thank you for the response
Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyard_dog72
My doors have the holes for the speakers but the new door panels I purchased do not have holes, they're solid carpet over plastic like a non-Bose car. I do not want to cut into these door panels because they aren't cheap. I've got plenty of bass from the 6x9s in the rear currently, just want to complete the sound a little bit more.

These ade are what I was looking at: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K64...fx.html?tp=100

I have a pair of 5 1/4" Kappas in another car, they sound very good, but as GPIERCE said they do not produce a lot of bass. If you do order from Crutchfield, ask them about a pair of bassblockers. They are filters that install in line on the positive speaker lead and come in different cutoff frequencies. I have used them for years and have been very happy with the results. They can only handle ~50 watts, so you cannot use them with an amp, but if you are powering the fronts from your headunit you will be fine.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 PM
gpierce
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Those Kappas are good.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:20 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

I appreciate all of the responses so far. Are the plate style speakers the ones that fit best in the dash? Are some better than others in regards to fitment?
Old 04-16-2019, 02:31 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

I had the corvette towed to Columbia Chevrolet to get looked at. They said it was not showing any codes and said they had to start with the fuel pump...with an estimate of $460 for the issue

Update: $460 was just labor, parts are another $200.

Last edited by junkyard_dog72; 04-16-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:06 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

I had the corvette towed to Columbia Chevrolet to get looked at. They said it was not showing any codes and said they had to start with the fuel pump...with an estimate of $460 for the issue

Update: $460 was just labor, parts are another $200.
IIRC, the fuel pump on a C4 comes right out the fuel filler, so WTH do they come up with almost $500 for labor ?
Old 09-05-2019, 01:58 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I have a pair of 5 1/4" Kappas in another car, they sound very good, but as GPIERCE said they do not produce a lot of bass. If you do order from Crutchfield, ask them about a pair of bassblockers. They are filters that install in line on the positive speaker lead and come in different cutoff frequencies. I have used them for years and have been very happy with the results. They can only handle ~50 watts, so you cannot use them with an amp, but if you are powering the fronts from your headunit you will be fine.
Aren't bassblockers becoming irrelevant? I believe all modern aftermarket car radios let you cut off certain frequencies going to the speakers. Which lets the frequency cutoff to be adjustable. Or maybe do bassblockers do something different then the radios that let you cut off certain frequencies going to the speakers?
Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

• 2.5-ohm impedance not great! Look for higher ohm speakers. These will be hard on your amp.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by colter
Aren't bassblockers becoming irrelevant? I believe all modern aftermarket car radios let you cut off certain frequencies going to the speakers. Which lets the frequency cutoff to be adjustable. Or maybe do bassblockers do something different then the radios that let you cut off certain frequencies going to the speakers?
I have not purchased a new HU in a few years, so you may be right. I have only one high end Sony unit that lets me adjust the cutoff frequencies to specific pairs of speakers.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:34 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

I have not purchased a new HU in a few years, so you may be right. I have only one high end Sony unit that lets me adjust the cutoff frequencies to specific pairs of speakers.
My new Alpine 1DIN HU has high-pass filters adjustments that is programmable inside the head unit. Also my new Alpine KTA-450 50W amp also has high-pass filter adjustment switches. Though I plan on leaving those switches off and just using the high-pass filters in the head unit since that is adjustable without having to tear back into the dash to get to the amp.

I plan on documenting the frequency range on my speakers and then turning off the frequencies in the head unit that fall outside that range.

Something that bugs me about headunits is that they STILL don't remember your settings when you disconnect the car battery. I'd think today it would be cheap for them to have some sort of permanent memory inside the HU that will retain your settings if it loses power. It can't be that expensive to do that compared to a decade or two ago.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by colter
My new Alpine 1DIN HU has high-pass filters adjustments that is programmable inside the head unit. Also my new Alpine KTA-450 50W amp also has high-pass filter adjustment switches. Though I plan on leaving those switches off and just using the high-pass filters in the head unit since that is adjustable without having to tear back into the dash to get to the amp.

I plan on documenting the frequency range on my speakers and then turning off the frequencies in the head unit that fall outside that range.

Something that bugs me about headunits is that they STILL don't remember your settings when you disconnect the car battery. I'd think today it would be cheap for them to have some sort of permanent memory inside the HU that will retain your settings if it loses power. It can't be that expensive to do that compared to a decade or two ago.
Very true about the loss of settings, many factory HUs have this ability, I wonder why the aftermarket has not adopted it as well.
Can you have different cutoff frequencies for the front and rear speakers with the Alpine ?
Old 09-06-2019, 07:30 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Very true about the loss of settings, many factory HUs have this ability, I wonder why the aftermarket has not adopted it as well.
Can you have different cutoff frequencies for the front and rear speakers with the Alpine ?
Yes, different cutoffs for front and rear speakers.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Front Speakers 1985 Corvette

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Speakers 1985 Corvette