C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Helpppp.. broken vacum

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Helpppp.. broken vacum

what with these cars I was trucking along pretty good getting all the vacuum lines that everybody help me out with however the one going to the rear plenum down behind the distributor snap and I can't find it can anybody tell me where it whines up on the other end show me a picture of direction to travel it's the last thing I need to get this done see the picture of the plenum Port I'm talking about

The left one . .please help

Snapped down here
Old 03-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

the vacuum line you are referring to that goes down around the RH side of the distributor actually ends up going to the HVAC control panel. that vacuum line should go to a two way check valve on the rear-most port of the plenum. the other side of the check valve goes behind the distributor, along the firewall and connects to the cruise control servo. on my 85 the plastic tubing snapped about 4-6 inches where it comes out of the wiring harness sleeving. I connected mine with 5/32" vacuum tubing and ran it th the two-way check valve. here's a couple pics. note in the first pic, I "sleeved" my plastic tubing with slightly larger vacuum tubing for protection. I would dread getting into the harness having to replace that plastic tubing to the HVAC panel. hope it helps....

Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Joe C is correct.

I just spent a few hours in that area trying to install a tube onto that damn valve...
Old 03-24-2019, 10:26 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Wow never had the top check valve coming off the plenum ..hmm wonder how bad it would run without
Old 03-25-2019, 12:05 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

A split in the line going from the cruise control to that check valve resulted in loss of both cruise & HVAC control along with virtually no manifold vacuum.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:00 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

All I can say is somebody must have really changed something in this car when I bought it five years ago because I have no check valve coming off the plenum I basically got behind the distributor is best I couldn't see nothing there I don't know where that plastic line went to other than the back of the plenum I've looked on the driver side underneath the cruise control I found the two vacuum lines one goes do a split which goes to the canister and the other one goes to the t underneath the plenum the other vacuum line goes directly into the firewall now if anybody could help me for the love of God please cuz I'm about to put a for sale sign on this car to Grant or best offer I've had enough I've been working on it for a month and a half and I'm disgusted I want to slap the person who put plastic lines as vacuum lines
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

My thumb and finger are where to vacuum t connectors are, they both originated from the cruise control servo it comes down to a t to the left goes to the canister to the right comes around to the tea that goes to the plenum underneath and then breaks off to the canister also so I have two lines with two t's in it they both could a canister is something backwards here

Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by 85vegasvette
All I can say is somebody must have really changed something in this car when I bought it five years ago because I have no check valve coming off the plenum I basically got behind the distributor is best I couldn't see nothing there I don't know where that plastic line went to other than the back of the plenum I've looked on the driver side underneath the cruise control I found the two vacuum lines one goes do a split which goes to the canister and the other one goes to the t underneath the plenum the other vacuum line goes directly into the firewall now if anybody could help me for the love of God please cuz I'm about to put a for sale sign on this car to Grant or best offer I've had enough I've been working on it for a month and a half and I'm disgusted I want to slap the person who put plastic lines as vacuum lines
take a deep breath my friend - it's just rubber and plastic - point A to point B. it ain't rocket science. you can substitute the plastic for rubber. no law against it. somewhere on your radiator shroud, there is a vacuum diagram. all the routing is there. the first thing you need is the two way check valve. any auto parts store should have them. right now, it looks like your plenum port connects to the line the goes into a wiring harness. that line goes to the HVAC control panel. you need to break that line at the plenum and install the two way check valve as shown in my pic - try dorman part number 47150. one end of the valve stays connected to the HVAC line, and the other goes around the back of the distributor, along the firewall to a plastic "tee" one side of the "tee" goes to the cruise control, and the other to the ball accumulator near the charcoal cannister. the other vacuum line off the cruise control servo goes thru the firewall to the brake pedal switch. you might need about 10 feet of 5/32 inch rubber vacuum tubing, and a variety pack of elbows, tees, etc., in various sizes. start there - hook that up, and get back to us. baby steps!

Last edited by Joe C; 04-01-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Well I went from baby steps it's a full-on full steps reroute it all the vacuum took care of everything put it all back together started it up the fan came on and when I initially started it which was odd and ran rough a little bit and then smooths out but the idles high I'm thinking the TPS got knocked around when the plenum was off so I'll just that but the nipple at the bottom of the throttle body itself on the driver side concerns me is that supposed to be sealed off I've seen pictures of both but other than that it's running like a champ the new injectors you can really feel it in a pedal what a difference Cruise works air condition works it's just that nipple concerns me in the Rai daughter in that thank you so much for your help
Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

And I apologize my phone when I talk and text picks up all different sentence I guess but anyway I want to try to start it it cranks almost starts but just cranks now I'm scratching my head
Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 PM
Blackcorvette_85
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad ya got it going, im still fighting mine but for different reasons. Your idle could be a bit high because of the new injectors. Your computer is used to the old ones, which Im sure didnt flow as much. I bet it will correct it over time once it adjusts for them. I didnt have a check valve on my vacuum line either, kinda thinking they didnt have them on 85's.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:55 AM
Joe C
Race Director

at the bottom of the throttle body, there should be a "tee" connection - one side of the tee goes to the charcoal cannister, and the other end goes to the EGR solenoid

glad you're sorting thru things....

Old 03-31-2019, 07:59 AM
Joe C
Race Director

And I apologize - my phone. when I talk and text - picks up all different sentences I guess, but anyway, I went to try to start it. it cranks, almost starts but just cranks. now I'm scratching my head
time for a fuel pressure test....
Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 AM
Joe C
Race Director

My thumb and finger are where to vacuum t connectors are, they both originated from the cruise control servo it comes down to a t to the left goes to the canister to the right comes around to the tea that goes to the plenum underneath and then breaks off to the canister also so I have two lines with two t's in it they both could a canister is something backwards here
In the above pic, it looks like the vacuum line next to your index finger is the "tee" that connects to your throttle body, and the line going aft connects to the EGR solenoid. the line off the "tee" at the cruise control connects to a stand alone vacuum control valve located near the canister. don't rely on what the previous owned did, rely on GM and the factory routing sticker. do not try to second guess anything. overall, looks like you're sorting through everything -
Old 03-31-2019, 10:11 AM
85vegasvette
Racer

Yeah I'm sorting..lol..it ran good after the initial satrt up,took it out for a ride and then after sitting ..nada.cranks strong though, wouldn't it not started or ran like crap if vacuum lines where not correct? And then there is this
Old 03-31-2019, 11:10 AM
85vegasvette
Racer

Okay for right up Batley cranked however the fan was on immediately, and drove it still have a high idle smooth but high, and then the fane gonna waiting 1/2 he see if she starts again
Old 03-31-2019, 10:06 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Hey Vegas, what is happening is your lines are have the tees in the wrong place. Picture this and look at my pic. Like joe said a tee below the throttle body.
Place a 3 way tee under the throttle body , place a 3 way tee by the battery, Place the dorrman check valve(which 85 does have), on the passenger valve cover.
That is the general locations they should be stock. Connect the check valve single port to the plenum(rear nipple) connect 1 of the 2 leftover check valve ports to your
missing in action heater duct connection which has broken down in the bundle. Conect the last port on the check valve with a rubber line all the way over to the 3 way tee near the battery, then connect one of the tee conections by the battery to the cruise(will be the smaller cruise fitting the larger one goes to the brake pedal).
The remaining nipple on the battery 3 way goes to the vacum ball. Latly the 3 way tee placed under the throttle will connect to egr solenoid(as stated), and have a line coming from the canister and lastly connect to the bottom of the throttle bofy. It is easy to have lines and tees in the wrong locations from previous owners, but hard to follow the guides that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Helpppp.. broken vacum

Old 04-01-2019, 12:05 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

alright after 2 beers and staring into the engine bay i found my culprit, the coolant sensor pigtail was unplugged, after trying to plug it in it literally fell apart. lol, picked on up at auto zone gonna splice and soldier...lol..
Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Okay got the coolant sensor connector and ready to SPL ce and I notice a pink lone wire and 2 black wires..which I'm assume ng is ground now o spliced and it started but still fan and high idle, figured I had the wires reversed since I don't know which is hot ..and now back to no start...anybody want an 85 with a new Interior ,injectors,plus themostat in Vegas I'm done offers...unless anybody has a clue. I'm done
Old 04-02-2019, 11:11 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I wonder do you have your smog devices on the front of the engin? Mabey my pics here can help.

Quick Reply: Helpppp.. broken vacum