C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ever regret buying your C4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Only difficult due to my body be contorted.
OK. I have a 91 so 2 are in the trunk and 2 are on the sill. I sat on the floor to do most of the sill. That was the biggest PITA. Which one was yours?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
It's the perfect handle, and it's right there..
And I have no idea how to fix it when it goes south other than to get one that supposedly is better from HERE. Not even sure if it will fit my 91 since it has an airbag
The following users liked this post:
ChumpVette (04-07-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
OK. I have a 91 so 2 are in the trunk and 2 are on the sill. I sat on the floor to do most of the sill. That was the biggest PITA. Which one was yours?
92 - Both. The rear was easy, the passenger side was a royal pain in the butt. A big fat person could not do it.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

And I have no idea how to fix it when it goes south other than to get one that supposedly is better from HERE. Not even sure if it will fit my 91 since it has an airbag
I need the trunk (hatchback) switch that controls the lighting. Couldn't' find one last year. It's still sitting on my desk.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:48 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have had a C4 (at least 1) for about 30 years now. I have had 7 different C4's.

I have no regrets on buying any of them!

I have enjoyed them all. Some were needing a lot of work (which I enjoy doing) and one was new ('94 admiral blue 6M).

I have had a couple of C5's too, but the last 2 Corvettes I bought were both C4's because I like driving them the best.

My only regrets were the ones I looked at but did not buy.
Steven_Belgium (06-28-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 AM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Not one bit. C4s can be had for pretty cheap and they are great cars despite so many ppl bashing them for whatever reasons. I’ve had my c4 for over a decade and she’s not going anywhere. Only issue is they’re slow from the factory but that can be fixed. Currently have a C6z also but wouldn’t even considering getting rid of the C4.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:38 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Didnt regret an 89 auto or 90 Z.
There were days i wished the 89 was a stick but for what i used it for the auto was fine.

Honestly there were days I almost regretted selling the 89 for the Z...was close to building a 400 for the 89 which woulda made it a killer st sleeper. Faster than the Z and cheap to keep
one day...
Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by slow_zo6
Not one bit. C4s can be had for pretty cheap and they are great cars despite so many ppl bashing them for whatever reasons. I’ve had my c4 for over a decade and she’s not going anywhere. Only issue is they’re slow from the factory but that can be fixed. Currently have a C6z also but wouldn’t even considering getting rid of the C4.
I think that C6 Z06 has you jaded. My LT4 is pretty dam quick, and ZR-1s even more. Slow is definitely not the term i'd use.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Exactly. But I reduce my odds of buying a more expensive problem by thoroughly checking and adjusting the price accordingly. Sure, I'll buy it from you. I'll deduct the estimated cost to make it all work. AC not working? $2000 off since I figure it might cost that much to replace everything and pay someone to do it.

Been following your posts, and we may be 'cut out of the same cloth'.

As I look at any used car, they're a "pig in a poke", until you "get into them" to discover what does and does not work. And, like you, I keep a running total of what it will cost to bring it into 'top[ condition and selling price for same. I used to buy cars with problems and restore them. Learned a lot and it was very rewarding. But, I think you will agree, one needs to be skilled and have the facilities and tools to do his own wrenching to make a "resto project" viable.

Regret only occurs when I have certain expectations for a purchase, only to find out afterward that I got fooled. That happened twice in my life:

I bought a used (and abused) Grand Cherokee that was in serious trouble but had undergone a superficial mechanical "make-over" - sorta like the "sawdust in the gear box yarn" type "fixes" that only became evident after owning it for a couple months. But, there was a good news side to the story! After 2 years of continuously patching it up on weekends just so I could coax it to work during the week, I traded it back to the same dealer. It was like a ticking bomb waiting to go off when I tossed them the keys. All the shady BS that dealer had pulled to patch that car up long enough to sell it to some poor sucker (like me) gave out at once: transmission, the freeze plugs they had used sheet metal screws to plug the pinhole leaks and spray paint over to hide the coolant tracks on the block,, the transfer case seals, the power steering pump, etc., etc.

The second regret in my life was my first wife.... But, I'll save you the agony...mostly because I don't want to relive it by telling you about it!
Old 04-06-2019, 12:18 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

nope, love the C4, most fun of any car I have / had.... IT needed a lot of work but it's still fun and good bang for my buck...

Once the computer and injection was gone it became as reliable and any SBC with a Heli ….

Turn the bey and have fun...
Old 04-06-2019, 12:30 PM
frosted
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sort of regret.. I bought a cheap(ish) L98 w/ZF despite considering a ZR-1. Used Excel a lot and decided the L98 as a driver aka just-keep-it-running would be most fun for little money. Of course now, a few years later, the entire car has thousands in it and hundreds of hours, with almost everything in body and chassis restored or replaced. Should've gone for the ZR-1.. But I've also learned that for me the '90-¨'93 interior is the one I want and still dream of '93 ZR-1. Though I don't want to redo another C4 so I'll probably just keep the L98 anyway. Due to the interior, happy didn't buy a '96 LT4 or someone bought it before I could make up my mind.

I've driven and keep looking at C5's and C6's but even though both are much better cars, neither just gives me same smiles.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:26 PM
orlandjoe
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Nope, other than it was harder to get in and out of, than my prior 1978 coupe.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:16 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Bought mine new in 84. Best car I’ve ever owned. Fastest car I’ve ever owned. I’ve tuned pretty much every nut and bolt on the car. If anything is messed up it’s because I was a Bubba that day.

Last edited by 383vett; 04-06-2019 at 05:16 PM.
BubbaKahuna (06-29-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 07:34 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Exactly. But I reduce my odds of buying a more expensive problem by thoroughly checking and adjusting the price accordingly. Sure, I'll buy it from you. I'll deduct the estimated cost to make it all work. AC not working? $2000 off since I figure it might cost that much to replace everything and pay someone to do it.
I understand and I agree, but to me the particular car matters in this instance. With a c4 I am pretty sure I am not putting much if any in to it to sell it unless it was in prime condition. If I noticed it was a few people leaving due to the same issue I might change my mind. 2k off over the ac fr me is just like we would be in different planets. I guess it depends why someone is selling something.

C4's are all over the map in condition and miles between 5-10k.

How much would you put in your car to sell it now? Yours is still nice, so I assume you would, but just curious.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:07 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I should have got a m6. Bringing it to Michigan, because Michigan roads are mostly terrible.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Some days, yes. I look at it and note the surface rust on parts of the frame, the damage to the rear panel, the weatherstripping that needs to be replaced, the windows that don't stop where they should... But then I remind myself that I paid $6k for a 1994 auto coupe with the acrylic top. May sound like a lot to most of you but the cheapest C4 available here right now is a -91 at $8500 and the cheapest manual coupe (which would be my choice in the C4 world after the ZR1) is just under $10k. Plus buying it meant getting off my *** and actually buying something rather than waiting and saving indefinitely which would be how I usually deal with wanting something (if I was to buy a $10k C4 I would be asking myself why I didn't save up a little more for a C5, then a C6, maybe a Porsche 996 and so on). Also, this is the first time I have spent this kind of money and not felt physically sick afterwards so I guess that's my guts telling me I did good.
I got a corvette and it is the bodystyle I want (coupe) with the top I wanted (acrylic or whatever, one big reason for wanting this was that this meant no sagging headliner issues), with one of the engines I wanted (LT1, LT4 or LT5 would have been better of course) with the front end and interior I prefer (updated vs the early style) in a color combination I like. I could have done worse for this project (yup, I do regard it as a project rather than a finished thing)
Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Regret.... that I didn't keep my 92 ZR-1, that I bought any Vette that wasn't a ZR-1 and should have spent the money on additional ZR-1's.... I would love to have 6 ZR-1s... 90-95...
Steven_Belgium (06-30-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Ever regret buying your C4?

Old 04-07-2019, 11:08 AM
KMS88Cal#16
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

My only regret is not getting 1 sooner.
BubbaKahuna (06-29-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 01:27 PM
2vettefamily
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 62 Posts

Not too much regret with my 94 polo green LT1 M6. Had it for 3 1/2 years. Just recently traded it in to help me with a C7 purchase. It came to the point of doing the simple math on repair dollars put into it. Every time I turned around, it was time to turn a wrench again. The car actually ran pretty strong, but it took constant attention and $$ to keep it that way. It was quite an automotive learning experience however. Didn't really trust too many "mechanics" around town to mess with it. The car was older that most of them any way! So, I did basically everything myself (everything that you possibly can without a lift in my garage.) From Opti's , water pumps, hoses, plugs, fuel lines, manifold leaks, etc.. etc... after a while , the "fun" wore off. When I see a pristine one ( usually at a show), it still turns my head though! If I were to buy another some day, it would be 86-88 auto ( no 4+3 for me), a ZR-1 or a 96 GS or CE stick.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:45 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Thinking on my 92, fix the FX3 and power antenna, run it for one more year, pay it off and sell next year.

Quick Reply: Ever regret buying your C4?