C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ever regret buying your C4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Default Ever regret buying your C4?

Anyone ever regretted buying your C4 after you get in to the C4 world and learn more about them and all the differences/ models and wish you waited to buy the "right" one?

Last edited by pologreen1; 04-05-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:34 PM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

Sometimes I do. I would've gladly paid more to not have to deal with the weatherstripping, lol! I should've either paid more to get one that was lower miles with few/no issues, or just saved more for a C6. By the time I'm done pouring money into this thing, I could've been real close to a newer, problem free 'vette, or an immaculate, very low miles C4. Totally wasn't worth it financially, but it's just a toy to begin with, and I still really enjoy driving it, so, it's not all bad. I've accepted that I've taken a bath on the thing(and will continue to do so), and will simply finish fixing it up, and once it's done, just drive the wheels off it and enjoy it for what it is.

Besides, I'm taking great satisfaction in knowing I saved this car from further neglect. I know, there's no shortage of C4's, but few in Bright Aqua Metallic, and very few seem to have ended up with the 3.07 rear end. So, still glad I got it despite the headaches and cost.

Last edited by novaks47; 04-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:37 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Yup. I should saved up more for a C5 or 6. I'm glad I got to drive it though just so I can say I owed a C4. Someday on the 5 or 6.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by novaks47
Sometimes I do. I would've gladly paid more to not have to deal with the weatherstripping, lol! I should've either paid more to get one that was lower miles with few/no issues, or just saved more for a C6. By the time I'm done pouring money into this thing, I could've been real close to a newer, problem free 'vette, or an immaculate, very low miles C4. Totally wasn't worth it financially, but it's just a toy to begin with, and I still really enjoy driving it, so, it's not all bad. I've accepted that I've taken a bath on the thing(and will continue to do so), and will simply finish fixing it up, and once it's done, just drive the wheels off it and enjoy it for what it is.
Yeah, old cars require work. Always something going wrong. Great for people who enjoy wrenching, who got big heated garages, lifts and such and or young people who think nothing of laying under a car. Thinking my next maybe be a fairly new one car year round driver. Maybe a WRX ???
Old 04-05-2019, 01:46 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I drove a C5 Z06 for a good while before buying my CE lt4. Don't regret it. C5s are old, and need work as well.

With that said, I'm about to go work on my car
The following users liked this post:
Tx_94vette (04-14-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:49 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Are there things I don't like about it? Yup.
Do I regret buying it? Nah... It's my first Corvette. Bucket list.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2LZ:
BubbaKahuna (06-29-2019), Charsel (05-11-2020), Jackzap (06-28-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Yeah, old cars require work. Always something going wrong. Great for people who enjoy wrenching, who got big heated garages, lifts and such and or young people who think nothing of laying under a car. Thinking my next maybe be a fairly new one car year round driver. Maybe a WRX ???
Oh yeah, for sure they all need work. I thought I'd be ok with it, but every time I pull something apart, I find more things that need some TLC, which is getting a bit annoying now. I just want to drive the damn thing. Really wish I had a garage and a lift. A garage alone would be nice. I'm at point where I don't mind wrenching on my motorcycles, and I actually still enjoy it. But working on cars is getting kinda old now, especially crawling under them. There are no words to describe how much I loathe changing O2 sensors, lol. Still tempted to cut my losses, go back to my Saab, and drive it 'till it blows up. Thankfully my daily driver isn't either of those cars, or I'd go insane, lol! Thing is, I still really like driving the C4. I'm very mixed on this car, haha!

Last edited by novaks47; 04-05-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by novaks47
Oh yeah, for sure they all need work. I thought I'd be ok with it, but every time I pull something apart, I find more things that need some TLC, which is getting a bit annoying now. I just want to drive the damn thing. Really wish I had a garage and a lift. A garage alone would be nice. I'm at point where I don't mind wrenching on my motorcycles, and I actually still enjoy it. But working on cars is getting kinda old now, especially crawling under them. There are no words to describe how much I loathe changing O2 sensors, lol. Still tempted to cut my losses, go back to my Saab, and drive it 'till it blows up. Thankfully my daily driver isn't either of those cars, or I'd go insane, lol! Thing is, I still really like driving the C4. I'm very mixed on this car, haha!
Yeah, mixed is the correct word.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I bought my c4 as a cheap track rat. Since then, I've cleaned it up, freshened it up, and its turned more into a fun. driver quality car. I used it as a test bed to learn new skills, and learned a ton working on it.

That said, if I knew then where I would be at with it now, I wish I would have gotten an lt4. But at the time, the price difference was huge, and I never expected it to be a driver car for me. I dont regret not buying an lt4thougg, because the fact that I have so little mo.ey into it really mentally freed me up with it. If I had decided to buy an lt4 car, I would have probably ended up buying a much nicer and more expensive car that I wouldn't enjoy as much.

So not, I dont regret buying my C4, but I also dont think I would buy another one. If I were to replace my c4, it would likely be with a restomod c3, or maybe a 350z. My C4 is the car I've had the longest out of my 3 cars currently. I have my truck for boring stuff, and my c6 vs fir when I want a nice car. The c4 is for when I want to have a little fun, and I drove it over the c6 a lot.

Last edited by FAUEE; 04-05-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

I had built up the L98 and it got hit by someone and totaled. This was the only one that easily (relatively) fit the L98 motor with a few tweaks and a hood scoop. It was either this or another F-body and this one has less rust potential. Do I wish for a newer one? Absolutely. The arrangement the wife and I have is that we don't buy new toys until the old one is worn out so this one stays until it is no longer economical to fix or it keeps nickle and diming us to death. At which time, either crusher or "push, pull or drag" trade in on a newer one. Regret, no. It was the best decision we could make short of throwing away the freshly built (2 week old) motor. Always wishing for something newer? Every time I have to get a part from the dumpster or wait for someone to make it.

Last edited by aklim; 04-05-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:59 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't know about regret. I bought my 95 ZR-1 when prices were high and could have, if I wanted, purchased any C5 or C6, but I just wanted the LT5 motor. The ZR-1 is still the factory Corvette that brought high performance back to the Corvette nameplate. As for value, I suppose whatever I "lost" in value, I "gained" on my 67 435HP coupe. But that is all paper gains and losses as I don't at this point want to sell either - and I've hed them both for quite a while (24 years with the 67 and 11 with the 95).

Last edited by bb62; 04-05-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:15 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Not really, but after the work (mostly wants, not needs) I've put into this one I wish I'd have at least waited for a manual.

But, I should have increased the value at least to the amount I've put into it, so I guess it'd probably be a wash if I ever found what I wanted to sell it. In the meantime, I've had something tangible instead of cash in the bank waiting for something.
The following 2 users liked this post by jefnvk:
Jackzap (06-28-2019), pooled (06-28-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 03:21 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Admiral Blue vs CE
Old 04-05-2019, 04:12 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Had zero regrets on the 1st 35th Anni, coulda done better on choosing the 2nd one.

I'm still "learning" about the '89 MN6 vert and finding a few things I overlooked but no regrets...love it.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

No regrets at all. Love tinkering with it. I'm with 2LZ, it was a bucket list item for me. Possible buy a 95 or 96 if the right one comes along. or maybe a C5
Old 04-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

One of the challenges is not so much regretting I purchased one, it's getting everything to work before it's sold. If a C4 has issues, even small ones, it greatly reduces it's value. Want top dollar, better be a pretty mint car, reasonable miles with lot's of factory options, or your going to take a beating when it come time to sell. There's always the shady ones. Example my 'service ride control' light is on. What would you do, fix the problem or just take out the light blub. See what I'm getting at.

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 04-05-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:21 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
One of the challenges is not so much regretting I purchased one, it's getting everything to work before it's sold. If a C4 has issues, even small ones, it greatly reduces it's value. Want top dollar, better be a pretty mint car, reasonable miles with lot's of factory options, or your going to take a beating when it come time to sell. There's always the shady ones. Example my 'service ride control' light is on. What would you do, fix the problem or just take out the light blub. See what I'm getting at.
If it were mine? I would ignore it. If I was selling it? I would not GAF. Let the net person look at it or fix it.

Nothing wrong with selling a car with issues, only if the issues are not disclosed.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever regret buying your C4?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:25 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I haven't had any regrets buying either of my cars. Since I do have a heated garage, lift, tools and knew that I was going into retirement and would need something to work on, they were both just right. Now if I could only find more driving time!
Old 04-05-2019, 06:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
If it were mine? I would ignore it. If I was selling it? I would not GAF. Let the net person look at it or fix it.

Nothing wrong with selling a car with issues, only if the issues are not disclosed.
Two identical cars. One with the light on and one with no fault. Which would you pay more for?
Old 04-05-2019, 06:45 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Absolutely not. I've wanted a vette since I was 16. I enjoy wrenching on it, driving it, cleaning it, and looking at it. It fit my criteria and my budget. I might move on when I get bored, but it does not change anything about my current choice.

I don't understand this reluctance and hand wringing about C4. As someone above said, IDGAF. I don't buy my cars based on brand or someone else's opinion. I've owned Chevy's, Hondas, Chryslers, VWs, Fiats, and BMWs. Dang, just enjoy your car.
The following users liked this post:
Jackzap (06-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Ever regret buying your C4?