C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ever regret buying your C4?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:47 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Nah.. Never.

And I'm still glad I bought a junk one.

I've had a lot of fun with that car, and half of it was working on it.

Not sorry.
The following 2 users liked this post by confab:
Jackzap (06-28-2019), rblakeney (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
If it were mine? I would ignore it. If I was selling it? I would not GAF. Let the net person look at it or fix it.

Nothing wrong with selling a car with issues, only if the issues are not disclosed.
Issues, especially driving around with a warning light on, the seller better be willing to take a big price drop. Unknowing buyers will look at another car instead, while people in the know will try steal it from you.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by confab
Nah.. Never.

And I'm still glad I bought a junk one.

I've had a lot of fun with that car, and half of it was working on it.

Not sorry.
For me at my age working on a car is no fun at all. I don't have the proper equipment and the body hurts too much crawling around these things. Why do you think people retire when they get old ???
Old 04-05-2019, 06:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Issues, especially driving around with a warning light on, the seller better be willing to take a big price drop. Unknowing buyers will look at another car instead, while people in the know will try steal it from you.
If you are OK with losing your shirt or it taking longer to sell or be a crook and hope to snag someone with the Corvette Fever, sure you can.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

For me at my age working on a car is no fun at all. I don't have the proper equipment and the body hurts too much crawling around these things. Why do you think people retire when they get old ???
For me, if I am working, I want to get paid for it. Check, cash or credit card.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

lol. I can completely see that, and not having the equipment makes a huge difference.

I may feel the same way some day. But for now, I've really enjoyed my corvette project.

It's been a blast and it's not over yet.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
If you are OK with losing your shirt or it taking longer to sell or be a crook and hope to snag someone with the Corvette Fever, sure you can.
Just pull the light blub, problem fixed .. Or, give it away. Or put more money in the dead horse and sell it before something else fails. It's the aging process ....
Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

lol. I can completely see that, and not having the equipment makes a huge difference.

I may feel the same way some day. But for now, I've really enjoyed my corvette project.

It's been a blast and it's not over yet.
There's a reason SUV's and trucks are popular .. It's called getting in and out of them .. Kind of sad. Lot's of people would not fit in a C4, period, let alone get in and out of them.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

For me, if I am working, I want to get paid for it. Check, cash or credit card.
Yeah, why do manual labor spending money on something that is a losing return and loses value no matter what. It has to be a labor of love. I remember last summer replacing the passenger side Bose speaker, the body hurt for three day's afterwards. No, I'm not some out of shape fattie, I'm just old !!!

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 04-05-2019 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jackzap (06-28-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:08 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Two identical cars. One with the light on and one with no fault. Which would you pay more for?
Selling, I'm not putting a penny of time or money in it.
Buying, light off is better.

Reality, lol it is a crap shoot if there is really a light or nt on an old c4.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

There's a reason SUV's and trucks are popular .. It's called getting in and out of them .. Kind of sad. Lot's of people would not fit in a C4, period, let alone get in and out of them.
Yeah, I'm 6'3" and about 205.

It DOES take a conscious effort not to pull on the steering wheel.. lol.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:11 PM
revival1
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

No regrets at all. I've had C2s it was great looking drove like a truck, I've had C3's big and small blocks drove like f#4k up trucks, I've had and have C4's. I like the LT1 best. The one I have has100,000 miles really no problems. I shouldn't have said that. I've had C5 nice car. I have C6 I love the car.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

That's the first thing people want to do getting out of the car ...
Old 04-05-2019, 07:17 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Just pull the light blub, problem fixed .. Or, give it away. Or put more money in the dead horse and sell it before something else fails. It's the aging process ....
Exactly why I always insist on a PDI that includes a total scan of all possible modules and a compression test. If the seller won't agree, I'm not wasting my time. Back in 91, I was so excited to get my first car. Newbie buyer that I was, I knew I was going to be shark bait if I let myself get talked into it. PDI found a lot of "forgotten" items that was fixed and the PO "forgot" to mention like the trans pan has silt, the compression was off on a couple cylinders (supposed performance cars have that funky idle), etc. Saw someone at the parts house that refused to buy a trans filter with the fluid change because nobody will know and assume he changed the filter with the fluid. I always assume the PO is both a liar and a moron. The nicer a guy he is, the more I cringe.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I have a Ford Excursion and Dad has an F150. He likes trucks, I suspect, because it gives the "working man" image. I got the Excursion because it could haul my Toy Hauler and ATVs. I have to climb up the thing. I think my S-Class MBs are way easier to get in and out of.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Yeah, why do manual labor spending money on something that is a losing return and loses value no matter what. It has to be a labor of love. I remember last summer replacing the passenger side Bose speaker, the body hurt for three day's afterwards. No, I'm not some out of shape fattie, I'm just old !!!
Besides the dogs and the wife, most everything I have will not qualify for this "labor of love" thing.

I forgot, how difficult is it to take out the speaker? I let Best Buy wire it up but leave a foot extra at the ends so I can do the ends myself and figure out what I wanted there. I don't recall it being more than a few screws but that was a while back.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Selling, I'm not putting a penny of time or money in it.
Buying, light off is better.

Reality, lol it is a crap shoot if there is really a light or nt on an old c4.
Exactly. But I reduce my odds of buying a more expensive problem by thoroughly checking and adjusting the price accordingly. Sure, I'll buy it from you. I'll deduct the estimated cost to make it all work. AC not working? $2000 off since I figure it might cost that much to replace everything and pay someone to do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever regret buying your C4?

Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I'm 5'9 and it takes an effort not to pull the steering wheel. Wife is 5'4 and 120 fully dressed. I help her out of the car because I don't want her grabbing at the wheel.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Besides the dogs and the wife, most everything I have will not qualify for this "labor of love" thing.

I forgot, how difficult is it to take out the speaker? I let Best Buy wire it up but leave a foot extra at the ends so I can do the ends myself and figure out what I wanted there. I don't recall it being more than a few screws but that was a while back.
Only difficult due to my body be contorted.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I'm 5'9 and it takes an effort not to pull the steering wheel. Wife is 5'4 and 120 fully dressed. I help her out of the car because I don't want her grabbing at the wheel.
It's the perfect handle, and it's right there..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ever regret buying your C4?