(Newbie) Buying A 1990 Chevrolet Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Allen Lyle
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Newbie) Buying A 1990 Chevrolet Corvette

Hello Everyone ,
I'm new to this forum and I'm here because I am considering buying a 1990 Chevrolet Corvette. I am 19 years old and I have never owned a car before. I owned a motorcycle for a year and a half now, but it recently got totaled (a lady hit me). I am considering giving up riding a motorcycle, at least for now because of college, and buying a car. I don't know much about cars, I'm a total newbie because I've never had anyone to teach me. I just want to know if this is a good car in terms of expenses, maintenance, and usage, etc. I have watched a few videos of the car and I've seen one in person and I love these cars. I'd just like all of your opinions since you know the car better than I do. Is there anything I should know and look out for? Any tips?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:05 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

How much money do you have for a corvette?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:07 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen Lyle
I don't know much about cars, I'm a total newbie because I've never had anyone to teach me. I just want to know if this is a good car in terms of expenses, maintenance, and usage, etc.
IMO, the answers are: No, no, and no.

In fact, it is probably one of the worst vehicles you could choose as a noob and a student, and someone with no experience.

But, having said that, it is a unique experience and worth having. Owning any car this old can be a challenge. Knowing very little isn't an insurmountable obstacle, but being mechanically inclined and having a little general knowledge sure does help. They aren't the cheapest way to get around, either.

It would be a sacrifice and could be frustrating. Be easy to make an argument that you should wait, but that is always the case, right?

Depends if you have the disposable income for stuff that crops up and if you are sufficiently motivated and capable?

Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Everyone ,
I'm new to this forum and I'm here because I am considering buying a 1990 Chevrolet Corvette. I am 19 years old and I have never owned a car before. I owned a motorcycle for a year and a half now, but it recently got totaled (a lady hit me). I am considering giving up riding a motorcycle, at least for now because of college, and buying a car. I don't know much about cars, I'm a total newbie because I've never had anyone to teach me. I just want to know if this is a good car in terms of expenses, maintenance, and usage, etc. I have watched a few videos of the car and I've seen one in person and I love these cars. I'd just like all of your opinions since you know the car better than I do. Is there anything I should know and look out for? Any tips?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
If you don't know much about car's, stay away from the C4, unless Daddy has a nice garage for you to learn how to work on cars.

Back in the day, we did everything our self, engine swaps, brake jobs, tranny change outs, exhausts, you name it. And we did it outside no matter the weather.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Allen Lyle
7th Gear

Originally Posted by confab
IMO, the answers are: No, no, and no.

In fact, it is probably one of the worst vehicles you could choose as a noob and a student, and someone with no experience.

But, having said that, it is a unique experience and worth having. Owning any car this old can be a challenge. Knowing very little isn't an insurmountable obstacle, but being mechanically inclined and having a little general knowledge sure does help. They aren't the cheapest way to get around, either.

It would be a sacrifice and could be frustrating. Be easy to make an argument that you should wait, but that is always the case, right?

Depends if you have the disposable income for stuff that crops up and if you are sufficiently motivated and capable?

Well I know a bit about mechanical work. When I had my motorcycle I did all of my mechanical work. I know motorcycles aren't anything like cars, but I'm a quick learner and I'm familiar with servicing a motor vehicle. I'm good at driving cars as well, I've just never owned one because of commute purposes I chose a motorcycle. The typical starter car everyone has is an old honda civic, but going from a sport motorcycle to a honda civic isn't exactly exciting If I get a car I'd want something I'd enjoy and that would make me happy that's why I am considering buying a corvette
Old 04-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Allen Lyle
7th Gear

Originally Posted by pologreen1
How much money do you have for a corvette?
I have a $5K budget. Most C4s I see for sale within 100 miles of where I live are around that price range as well
Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Well I know a bit about mechanical work. When I had my motorcycle I did all of my mechanical work. I know motorcycles aren't anything like cars, but I'm a quick learner and I'm familiar with servicing a motor vehicle. I'm good at driving cars as well, I've just never owned one because of commute purposes I chose a motorcycle. The typical starter car everyone has is an old honda civic, but going from a sport motorcycle to a honda civic isn't exactly exciting If I get a car I'd want something I'd enjoy and that would make me happy that's why I am considering buying a corvette
I don't know much about cars, I'm a total newbie because I've never had anyone to teach me.
So now you know about servicing a motor vehicle ???
Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Allen Lyle
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
So now you know about servicing a motor vehicle ???
Well I said I don't know much about cars, motorcycles are a different story.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:33 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Well, you sound like a candidate.. It takes some doing to drive something this old, or a big stack of cash to hire it all done.

It's a bad idea.. But isn't everything that is fun?

Completely depends on your ability, motivation and prerogatives.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Well, you sound like a candidate.. It takes some doing to drive something this old, or a big stack of cash to hire it all done.

I'm thinking this kid has no mechanical skills, go for it but be prepared to spend your weekends under a hood ... lol

Times were different when I was growing up. The geezers generally knew how to fix anything. I still remember building the cabin with my dad at age 12. Bring a car in for service, totally unheard of. You fix everything yourself .
Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Allen Lyle
7th Gear

Does the car have a lot of problems? What would be typical maintenance of the C4s. I know for some cars there's always something that usually goes out for that specific model, for the C4s are there any things that typically stop working? That's my biggest concern is the maintenance and repairs. I'm all for doing everything myself, but if it becomes really expensive to repair simple things then it probably wouldn't be worth it for me
Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Does the car have a lot of problems? What would be typical maintenance of the C4s. I know for some cars there's always something that usually goes out for that specific model, for the C4s are there any things that typically stop working? That's my biggest concern is the maintenance and repairs. I'm all for doing everything myself, but if it becomes really expensive to repair simple things then it probably wouldn't be worth it for me
It's not the maintenance, it's that things go out, they go bad, due to age. I bought a mint 92 with 52,000 miles and within a month a was putting money into it. Every summer something pops up, more money, more work, things continue to fail, it's because it's an OLD car ......
Old 04-05-2019, 07:46 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I'm thinking this kid has no mechanical skills, go for it but be prepared to spend your weekends under a hood ... lol

Times were different when I was growing up. The geezers generally knew how to fix anything. I still remember building the cabin with my dad at age 12. Bring a car in for service, totally unheard of. You fix everything yourself .
Me too, to a large extent.. But cars were much simpler then.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I wouldn't say a lot more than other cars of that age, but it is still considerable.

Weird electrical issues to track down. Arcane rituals with the IAC and TPS and such things. Leaks. U joints. The occasional head gasket.

It can get involved..
Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

As a DD? FAWK NO. If you have no issue with it sitting for months while you figure it out, get the parts, etc, etc, sure. Unless you are independently wealthy and have facilities and time, I wouldn't. 19 yo college student living in the dorm with homework? Boring is better. when you are stable and have way less to worry about, sure.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Me too, to a large extent.. But cars were much simpler then.
I'm dealing with a check engine light on the 2012 Dodge right now. I hate computers in cars. They suck.

If I had the money, I'd look for a fully restored C2. None of this modern day electronic nonsense ...

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 04-05-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Imagine what the newer Corvettes are going to be like in 20 years. Like an old Cadillac, nothing but problems.

Get notified of new replies

To (Newbie) Buying A 1990 Chevrolet Corvette

Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Allen Lyle
7th Gear

It's not the maintenance, it's that things go out, they go bad, due to age. I bought a mint 92 with 52,000 miles and within a month a was putting money into it. Every summer something pops up, more money, more work, things continue to fail, it's because it's an OLD car ......
Ah yeah I didn't really think of things going out due to age. That really sucks. I'd hate to buy it then a month later something just breaks down and I don't know what. I honestly love this car but now I'm leaning toward a more reliable car or another motorcycle.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I am considering buying a 1990 Chevrolet Corvette. I am 19 years old and I have never owned a car before. I'd just like all of your opinions
Old 04-05-2019, 08:29 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Y-bodluvr

lool...

Quick Reply: (Newbie) Buying A 1990 Chevrolet Corvette