Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Finally got a good deal on a Vette..... so far.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
QA1 are the 17" wheels and tires. They could be ordered separately. One did not have to order Z52 or Z51 to get the 17" wheels.

Pretty sure the 17” wheels were only available on z51 and z52 cars in 88 where do you see them listed as a separate option and how much?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
If those 10 yr old tires blow out while driving, you're going to wish you spent the $400-$600 on a set of tires. The damage that can happen.......
Tires dont blow out from age. Old tires get hard and have less grip.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I decided to move tires upwards on the to-do list. They were manufactured the 26th week of 2000 according to the DOT code. They have 9/32 tread on them, probably only 5-6000 miles since installed.

I have an appointment this Saturday morning for a 4 wheel alignment and 4 new Toyos. Would have done it sooner but they had to order the tires.

Jared
Old 04-19-2019, 07:24 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Flat spots created from long-term storage causes the radial cores to eventually break, and causes
tire explosions.
Had it happen on one of my cars.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Hard rubber on old tires tends to crack as it flexes thousands of times during driving, and these cracks can grow into splits which may lead to separation of the outer layer... and a blowout. A blowout can do terrible things to the plastic bodies on these cars. Typically this happens on very old tires that are being stressed (high speeds etc). or have some previous impact damage. But it does happen.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:19 PM
84C4ohno
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post after signing up, and saw this thread caught my attention since I also got a kind of good deal, but maybe not since it's an '84 I don't know much about this generation of vette, but have been in automotive painter and body repair guy since 1980, so I can handle most of the restore. paid $2000 for the car just barely running, needed a new starter, and the gauges illumination is bad, no power to the new bulbs, so I just sent that off to batee for repair yesterday.

This car has been sitting at family farm shop for two years not doing me any good, so time to fix and sell or keep and drive it and get it looking good and running good.

Kind of excited to get this car on the road, but it's going to need a bit of work. Headlight motors don't work, rear hatch struts both bad, front bumper urethane cover was off when I bought it, but the reinforcement metal is still bolted on car, so someone pulled the cover off the front edge lip and messed it up a bit.

Hood doesn't quite line up with the latch pins and [lates on one side.
Hood latch release actuator and cable hanging from a rivet or fastener inside the car.

Broken windshield.

Seats need covers or reupholstered and not bolted in.

Fender louvers are off the car but there, and driver's side middle side moulding removed but there, not a big deal.

Car body is straight no damage, but needs sanding down, primed, block sand and repaint.

Probably not the worst deal, but a lot of work and a few bucks needed to at least get it on the road.

Engine a bit gutless, but drive-able. Was thinking of pulling motor and get a piston kit and take the block and heads to a machine shop. But only if I keep the car I suppose.

First vette , guess I got in at the bottom
Old 04-21-2019, 12:30 AM
Bigpoop
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dude

You paid $3500 for a used car

And it is a vette

And convertible

SCORE !!!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Just got back from a power run so to speak. I accidentally put regular gas in it on Tuesday and was experiencing quite a bit of detonation, which meant I had to baby it until I ran it all out and topped it back off with premium. Topped it off with premium earlier and it still had spark knock, just not as bad. I remembered that the harness connector for the knock sensor was in bad shape, jacked the car up and sure enough it came unplugged. I had to order a new connector but zip tied it in place for the time being..... and no more detonation.

I got the 4 new Toyo's mounted this morning, just a hair over $1000 out the door and man what a difference it made!! It literally feels like driving a new car. I also had it scheduled for an alignment but while it was on the rack, the tech noticed that the steering rack was leaking. Ordering a new rack for it this next payday and will get it in and then get the alignment done.

It was a nice afternoon too, so I put the top down and the wife and I did a lap around Camano Island and ran into town to do some shopping. Fun day today!!

Jared
Old 04-21-2019, 12:49 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I think you did very well!! The car looks great and will clean up very well I suspect. Any recent pictures to share?
Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I think you did very well!! The car looks great and will clean up very well I suspect. Any recent pictures to share?
I do have some recent pictures, check them out in my progress report thread located here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html

Thanks, Jared

Quick Reply: Finally got a good deal on a Vette..... so far.