Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Finally got a good deal on a Vette..... so far.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:12 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Finally got a good deal on a Vette..... so far.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 AM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

What makes it a good deal? in other words, how much is it selling for and what items are not working as it sits right now. How many miles and any information on maintenance over its lifetime?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

So what was the great deal?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by CorvetteRules
What makes it a good deal? in other words, how much is it selling for and what items are not working as it sits right now. How many miles and any information on maintenance over its lifetime?
That's weird, I had a couple of paragraphs explaining how I got the car, and what I paid, what issues it has...… and none of it showed up.

How does that happen? It seems the only thing that posted were the pictures.

Jared
Old 04-11-2019, 11:45 AM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Long story short, It's an '88, paid $3500, last licensed in 2009, runs and drives, 117K miles, cracked windshield and floppy passenger side headlight are all I have come across so far besides some random burnt out lightbulbs.

I've been a member for awhile but my original reason for joining is the L98 engine I have in my 91 S-10.

Jared
Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Man people are giving C4s away these days. 👍
Old 04-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats and I think you did get a good deal if it runs and drives good...it’s not perfect cosmetically but for an 88 vert that’s a good price..

Last edited by Y-bodluvr; 04-11-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:27 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
Long story short, It's an '88, paid $3500, last licensed in 2009, runs and drives, 117K miles, cracked windshield and floppy passenger side headlight are all I have come across so far besides some random burnt out lightbulbs.

I've been a member for awhile but my original reason for joining is the L98 engine I have in my 91 S-10.

Jared
I know this is going to sound negative, but I think you might have gotten a fair deal at best. So far is a fair statement.

It needs clean up, but what else?

What are your plans for it?

If this is just a driver to tinker with it should be great as long as the injectors, belts, tires, hubs, suspension, bushings, brakes, weather seals, fuel pump, fuel filter, head gaskets, u-joints, dash, window regulators, heater core, Y pipe exhaust, cats, etc are all in good shape. Those are all the very common issues on these cars when used and this old.

Go at it and keep documenting the progress!

Have you been looking since '09?

Last edited by pologreen1; 04-11-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:38 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats on your "new" '88 vert.

I see it's an A4 and has '88 perf-leather sport seats along with electronic A/C and has the 17" wheels.

Nice ride, enjoy.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Looks like some of your digital readouts are starting to go DIM perfect excuse for a LED upgrade
Old 04-11-2019, 03:21 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I know this is going to sound negative, but I think you might have gotten a fair deal at best. So far is a fair statement.

It needs clean up, but what else?

What are your plans for it?

If this is just a driver to tinker with it should be great as long as the injectors, belts, tires, hubs, suspension, bushings, brakes, weather seals, fuel pump, fuel filter, head gaskets, u-joints, dash, window regulators, heater core, Y pipe exhaust, cats, etc are all in good shape. Those are all the very common issues on these cars when used and this old.

Go at it and keep documenting the progress!

Have you been looking since '09?
Which are all good points, and are all items I am more than willing to tackle as they arise. The drive home was fine, seemed the longer it ran the better it ran. Car handled great, no weird noises or significant rattles. I do plan on going through the fuel system front and back for starters, and will take any other issues as they come. I have the knowledge, the facilities, and the tools required. It is after all a Chevrolet..... break out a hammer and a crescent wrench as Jay Leno put it. I flow test and ultrasonically clean fuel injectors as a side job, and have an ASNU Machine that again will be put to good use.

I did notice that the entire cooling system had been replaced probably shortly before it was stored. New radiator, hoses, water pump, and the coolant is as green as a shamrock.

The tires, albeit old, are also like new Dunlop Sport tires that still have the nubs on them. Car was stored in a heated storage garage and the tires show absolutely no signs of weather checking or cracking.... and therefore I am going to continue to drive on them until they give me reason not to. They felt fine on the drive home. Brakes felt really good too.... and they surprised me!!

Lucky for me I have an in depth understanding of the TPI system, as mentioned before I rebuilt and installed a 1989 L98 in my 1991 S-10 Pickup here about 10 years ago. Although it doesn't get driven much anymore, it is still a ton of fun when I do take it out.

I've been looking on and off for the last few years for a Convertible C4. As the owner of 2 Mazda Miatas, I am familiar with the roadster life style and really wanted a roadster. The fact it is black on black is a bonus although I do have a soft spot for cars with black exteriors and red interiors.

My only true annoyances at the moment has been trying to find wiper blades.... which it seems no-one stocks them, and the licensing department this morning was trying to soak me for the suggested retail value of $8500 in taxes. I have a local auto shop I do injectors for drawing up a repair estimate for everything that would be required to be done to bring a performance car out of long term storage..... which will make it so I just pay taxes on what I actually paid for the car.

On a side note, I clay barred, cut and polished a 12"x12" section of the hood and I think this paint will clean up nice.... far from perfect but nice anyhow.

There will be more to follow of course, I should probably pick up a repair manual for this thing.... is there one that everyone/someone recommends?

Jared
Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Congrats on your "new" '88 vert.

I see it's an A4 and has '88 perf-leather sport seats along with electronic A/C and has the 17" wheels.

Nice ride, enjoy.
What does the "A4" designation mean? 4 speed Automatic is the only thing coming to mind.

Jared
Old 04-11-2019, 03:33 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

/\ Awesome! Take some photos of progress and enjoy it.

Do you know the RPO codes yet? Just curious if you have the .2.59 gear or 2.73 etc.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:35 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by pologreen1
/\ Awesome! Take some photos of progress and enjoy it.

Do you know the RPO codes yet? Just curious if you have the .2.59 gear or 2.73 etc.
The tag is still on the lid of the center console, but haven't gotten that far yet.

I work second shift at Boeing and am just about ready to fly out the door.

I do have this weekend off thankfully and will be diving into the codes amongst other things.

Jared
Old 04-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
What does the "A4" designation mean? 4 speed Automatic is the only thing coming to mind.

Jared
A4 is short for Awesome C4

Last edited by Y-bodluvr; 04-11-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:18 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the ride
Old 04-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Blackcorvette_85
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks awesome! Saw that one on craigs list, was wondering if it would run right away after sitting so long. I think you got a great deal for around here, people still seem to think average c4's are worth close to 10k. If I had more parking we probably would of had to fight over it lol If it would have been a stick I probably would have tried to get it anyway and just sold something, I really want a convertible. Way better shape than my project vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got a good deal on a Vette..... so far.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Now THAT is how to make your first post! Great job Enjoy your new ride.
Would also like to see pics of your V8 S-10.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:07 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by DGXR
Now THAT is how to make your first post! Great job Enjoy your new ride.
Would also like to see pics of your V8 S-10.
There is a picture of the engine compartment of my S-10 in my Avatar. I will post a few more later, currently on break at work.

Thanks for the kudos!! I'm happy with it, can't beat it for the price.

Jared
Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Originally Posted by Blackcorvette_85
Looks awesome! Saw that one on craigs list, was wondering if it would run right away after sitting so long. I think you got a great deal for around here, people still seem to think average c4's are worth close to 10k. If I had more parking we probably would of had to fight over it lol If it would have been a stick I probably would have tried to get it anyway and just sold something, I really want a convertible. Way better shape than my project vette.
I was told I was second in line out of a dozen guys that contacted him in less than 2 hours. First guy was going to drive up from Olympia yesterday but came up with a sob story about not being able to come up with the money in time and could he hold it for the weekend..... Seller passed on that and called me. I left work, grabbed the cash and the wife, and parked it in MY shop. It does seem like C4's go for quite a bit around here.... hence why I am sticking to my guns about it being a "good deal".

Whereabouts are you located? I'm in Stanwood.

Jared

Last edited by lotsofspareparts; 04-12-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally got a good deal on a Vette..... so far.