Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Just noticed I only have 1/2 shroud by fan & radiator , on a 84 is it necessary

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Al B
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just noticed I only have 1/2 shroud by fan & radiator , on a 84 is it necessary

I posted earlier in week RE: overheating after new radiator Got a lot of good feed back
Next & last item too change is WP which I will do in a few days once the cuts on my arms & fingers heal ,
Those of you familiar with the 84 , there are a few WP sold at my local box store , Cheap O model , $ 50 bucks or the $150 dollar model ,
According too the guy , the $ 150 dollar model pushes the water faster and aides in cooling ? Any of you know TRUE OR FALSE ? ,
Noticed today the Fan shroud , 1/2 missing , Only top portion , bottom is missing ,
Could fan be loosing circulation if 1/2 is open ?? or was this common with owners removing helping with cooling ??
I have owned this car 15 years , never noticed ,until today ?

thank You
Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Fan won't be working very well with half the shroud missing. If it worked better without it I'm sure GM wouldn't have fitted it and saved a few $$.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

"Half" the fan shroud is normal. My '84 is stock radiator, and it's the same. Be careful about people guessing on advice.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I don't know that 1/2 could be considered 'normal'! Only #1 in this image is actually considered a 'shroud'.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:07 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

Numbers 24 & 7 are the shrouds, #7 should have windows in it.

Last edited by ex-x-fire; 04-18-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire

Numbers 24 & 7 are the shrouds, #7 should have windows in it.
That's a very common error in nomenclature - 24 & 7 are the actual upper and lower radiator supports a shroud is related to fan & cooling - has absolutely 'nothing' to do with radiator mounting. An upper and lower radiator support is used on all year C4 Corvettes - there's various style shrouds, fans, motors related to cooling!!!

** Your image and mine should certainly help the OP 'sort' his thought to be issue. Did I know what HRR meant! SURE DID!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Hmm, 24 & 7 are supporting the radiator but are also directing air through the fan so I would call them support shrouds then:-)
I have a C3 as well as a C4. On the C3 the shroud and the core support are completely different parts unlike the C4 where they are combined.
C3 shroud C3 radiator core support

C3 Vette radiator core support

C3 Vette fan shroud

Last edited by Haggisbash; 04-18-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

I suspect the OP and I may both be talking about the same thing. The bottom half of the area around the fan is an open space. I may have the nomenclature wrong, but I've been puzzled about all that open space around the bottom of the fan, too. I don't have a cooling problem, so I haven't worried about it.

I didn't intend to get tangled up in semantics. What would you call this?

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 04-19-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:04 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

If the lower one didn't have holes, the cooling fan should be more effective. I was in a Chicago traffic jam on a very hot & humid day and lost my a/c, the air wasn't being pulled through to cool the condenser. The engine temp went to 235* then down to 210*. Once I got up to speed the a/c started working.
I suspect the holes are there to prevent a bottleneck of air at highway speeds.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Al B
Advanced

Thanks for your responses
Lower portion of fan shroud is missing , Previous owner .
Will search for one / cant hurt cooling / only help. Vehicle still over heating idling in driveway.
WP is next on the agenda
Nobody responded too my question
BOX stores offer many GM engine parts , , I changed WP around 6 years ago , Vette sits , might have 2 thousand miles on this WP . Don't recall were I purchased but it was one of the box stores and knowing cheap me ( frugal ) possibly purchased the $ 50 dollar Water pump , Hate too do the labor again ,
Auto Zone offer a number of WP CHEAP O $ 50 dollar
Deluxe $ 150 , supposed too have larger impellers to turn water faster helping in cooling
DELCO is also available which I think is an Ecklers part ( can drive too Ecklers ) or go NAPA which has better stuff , ??
ROCK AUTO ? Just looking too correct this over heating issue that has been an issue way too long ,

AGAIN THANKS
Old 04-22-2019, 01:18 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Al B
I changed WP around 6 years ago, Vette sits, might have 2 thousand miles on this WP.
I can't imagine a WP failing in such a short time. I'm presuming you had antifreeze in the car during this time? Another possibility for your overheating problem is exhaust gasses getting into the coolant, for some reason. '84's don't like to be overheated, so that's always a suspect. Your favorite auto parts store should have a kit to test for combustion gasses getting into the cooling system. In our early C4's, the best way to do this test is to drive the car for a short distance to warm the engine, then test for gasses in the coolant overflow bottle. Do NOT remove the radiator cap during the test! Here's a description of the test, but use the overflow bottle, rather that the radiator for your test https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...reservoir-neck

Old 04-23-2019, 02:27 AM
renchjeep
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the 84 being a "bottom-breather", I would be looking to see if #17 and #19 in the diagram are present and intact.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by renchjeep
With the 84 being a "bottom-breather", I would be looking to see if #17 and #19 in the diagram are present and intact.
My '84 has the stock radiator, and can idle indefinitely without overheating. The fan cycles on and off like it should. I doubt that the items 17 & 19 can make any difference when the car is stationary.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Thanks for your responses
Lower portion of fan shroud is missing , Previous owner .

AGAIN THANKS
What number part are you missing in the diagram. I have some miscellaneous parts and might have what you are looking for.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Al B
Advanced

Thank You Everybody , All items discussed makes sense ,
Hot Rod Roy pointed out should not make that much of a difference , sitting in driveway with or without shroud , ( I was thinking that also ) Put project down for a week or two ,
383 vette, once I get back too project will get in touch ,
Over heating in driveway only thing left is WP ,
Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

To test the water pump, unhook one of the heater hoses and start the engine, it should flow like a garden hose.

Last edited by ex-x-fire; 04-23-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 AM
Al B
Advanced

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES
RESUMED PROJECT
My previous postings indicated the cooling issues I had many years with my 84

Changing radiator since radiator was original plus the plastic drain plug was stripped , not trusting it holding under pressure

A little recap , I always had cooling issues , WP was changed 6 years due too leakage , Little mileage since change ,
New radiator with cap ,
Starting car OVER HEATING idling in driveway ??? Fan turned on at 187
Did discover missing lower fan shroud , that I intend too purchase , cant hurt .
Purchased WP , and yesterday decided too tackle this job ,
Removing upper hose from radiator little too no water was coming out ??????????? WHY ? noticed something in HOSE. ,
Got my needle nose , and pulled out a piece of Black plastic.
How did this happened ?? Obviously I DID IT < BUT HOW ,
Black plastic turned out too be the cap from the end of the small grease tube.
Lodged n the hose just before thermostat opening , Stopping water flow

Filled with water , started car , can clearly see water movement in radiator . Took out for a spin , topped off fuel , No over heating , Will drain and put in coolant

Glad I discovered this prior too WP removal ,

thank you for all your responses
Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Removing upper hose from radiator little too no water was coming out ??????????? WHY ? noticed something in HOSE. ,
Got my needle nose , and pulled out a piece of Black plastic.
How did this happened ?? Obviously I DID IT < BUT HOW ,
Black plastic turned out too be the cap from the end of the small grease tube.
Lodged n the hose just before thermostat opening , Stopping water flow

Filled with water , started car , can clearly see water movement in radiator . Took out for a spin , topped off fuel , No over heating , Will drain and put in coolant

Glad I discovered this prior too WP removal ,

thank you for all your responses
As strange as that was, you must be glad you finally found the problem after all these years!

Get notified of new replies

To Just noticed I only have 1/2 shroud by fan & radiator , on a 84 is it necessary

Quick Reply: Just noticed I only have 1/2 shroud by fan & radiator , on a 84 is it necessary