C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Interested in Corvette out of state

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
How do you buy and drive home without registering in your state? Ins is easy to get with a phone call, but what about driving it if the seller doesn't have plates already on it and is willing to let you use them?
I wonder if it is OK to drive if you have proof you just bought it? Three weeks later, probably not.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:22 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I wonder if it is OK to drive if you have proof you just bought it? Three weeks later, probably not.
I just always figured I'd just pay the fine until I got it registered (new plates). As long as I could show an insurance card and bill of sale, signed title, etc no big deal. I would never drive without an insurance card (with the VIN on it). You can get arrested here for getting into an accident without insurance. If you just get pulled over a fine and impound the vehicle.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 PM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

I wonder if it is OK to drive if you have proof you just bought it?
In Alabama I've been pulled over and let go after showing paperwork.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

How do you buy and drive home without registering in your state? Ins is easy to get with a phone call, but what about driving it if the seller doesn't have plates already on it and is willing to let you use them?
The proper way to do it is to get a temp reg in the state you live in. Take that w/you, and affix it to the car if you buy it. Drive home.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:59 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Biggest problem with buy long distance is seller thinking you are not for real. So it can be a hugh waste of time.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

If the seller doesn't think you're for real, then they're not going to take the time to provide the information that you ask them for, and especially the HI RES, CLOSE UP pics of every blem on the vehicle.

And that is your clue that you don't want to buy a car from them.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 58VetteBoy;1599290913

This car is at least 3 hours away. [b
I've asked for very specific pictures and have been very well pleased with what has been sent and described to me. It also has pretty much every option that I'm looking for on it as listed on the RPO sheet. Miles are very low.

Has anyone had an experience with buying a Corvette that was a decent distance away from them?

14 years ago I did something similar when I purchased my first vette. Here is a link to the overly wordy story of how I did the transaction.:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rst-vette.html
Old 04-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

When they communicate just enough to hold your interest and then excuses. I've wasted months at a time screwing around on different cars. I had cash sellers had issues...
Old 04-26-2019, 04:34 PM
M1917
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

To date I've purchased 3 cars (including my 90 corvette) and 3 motorcycles sight unseen, mostly e-bay. So far, every deal has worked out. I ask all the usual questions about the vehicle to the buyer. But, I would only consider doing this from a seller with extensive feedback with very favorable ratings
Old 04-26-2019, 04:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
If the seller doesn't think you're for real, then they're not going to take the time to provide the information that you ask them for, and especially the HI RES, CLOSE UP pics of every blem on the vehicle.

And that is your clue that you don't want to buy a car from them.
Another clue is if you tell them up front that you will want a full PDI and they balk at it, I'd hang up.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:35 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

A few posts have mentioned doing a leakdown or compression test. I wonder how often this is performed during a purchase. Maybe if the car was a high dollar exotic, but not a car worth a few grand. We all know how hard it can be to access the plugs on C4s. As a seller, if someone wanted to do a compression test, I would tell him to take it for a drive, look in the mirror, listen to the exhaust and hook up a vacuum gauge. If that wasn't good enough, find another car. I wouldn't allow some hack to pull on my plug wires and break my plugs. I've bought and sold many cars and a compression test has never been discussed.

Last edited by 383vett; 04-26-2019 at 06:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
arbee (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:38 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

The truck had California plates on it. The Vette came with paper plates through the auction. Talk to your DMV, you may be able to arrange for temp registration assuming you purchase the car. I've talked to my DMV a few times, most times they've been very helpful and accommodating on things like this. You aren't the first and won't be the last to come up with this type of question.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:51 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

How? Do you have a rack in your back pocket? Sure, you can bring a scanner and read data and even compression gauge but leak down testing?

Also you DON'T give him free license to do what he wants. You supervise. Plus, he has NO emotional attachment
Yes, do have rack in back pocket - it is green , folds & has numbers in the corners. Simply take to local shop & pay to have car on rack for inspection. Do not think compression check & leak down necessary for all purchases. Agree that if pre-purchase inspection by third party, you should be present & observe but, many pre-purchase inspections are down to eliminate traveling distance to evaluate car & therefore buyer not always present.

Last edited by RtStuf; 04-27-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RtStuf
Yes, do have rack in back pocket - it is green , folds & has numbers in the corners. Simply take to local shop & pay to have car on rack for inspection.

Do not think compression check & leak down necessary for all purchases.

Agree that if pre-purchase inspection by third party, you should be present & observe but, many pre-purchase inspections are down to eliminate traveling distance to evaluate car & therefore buyer not always present.
True. Hence the PPI. Also, nobody will say this but the PPI helps you out by not glossing over things so you can justify to yourself why this purchase is a good idea. I prefer an objective viewpoint especially when I might get the "Corvette Fever" and let my desires overcome common sense.

Absolutely. If it is a beater car that breaks and you pull the plates and walk away, definitely not. OTOH, if it is a car you plan to keep for a while and hence paying more than a couple thousand, I want a PPI by someone. I really don't like the "Surprise Project" cars where you think all is well and suddenly, you bet a pile of crap you have no budget for.

I just have to budget a half day more for that transaction. My first car was done with a PPI. If I didn't, I'd have been star struck enough to probably buy it. Knowing that it was a possibility, I brought it for a PPI and found a whole bunch of issues that I didn't see from inspections or pictures. The risk is you go away empty handed but the problem with you doing a PPI for me is that I don't have control of the mechanic and he might not do what I want. Take the quick lube places. They check off a bunch of stuff that I know I don't have so how did they check it all? I trust them to check ONLY WHEN I AM PRESENT. Maybe I have trust issues or just believe everyone is basically bad and would screw me over if they could. OTOH, I can only be pleasantly surprised when the guy comes through or at worst, ready for their treachery.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
The proper way to do it is to get a temp reg in the state you live in. Take that w/you, and affix it to the car if you buy it. Drive home.
How do you do that without buying first and having title in hand?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:13 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 58VetteBoy
Has anyone had an experience with buying a Corvette that was a decent distance away from them?
Yes. We live in Wisconsin. We purchased our ZR-1 in San Antonio. I purchased my current DD (MB E550) in Boston. We've bought more cars "at a distance" than local, I think.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:17 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I personally am willing to travel almost anywhere within a 8 hr drive for the right car or boat but that's me

Get notified of new replies

To Interested in Corvette out of state

Old 04-27-2019, 08:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I wouldnt let anyone fool with my car either...Look, ask questions crawl under it fine.
I get the concern though as many people out there knowingly sell junk and will lie like a rug to get out from under a problem.
Anyone local can waste time like a long distance buyer would;trust your gut when speaking (not text or email) to someone, you are kind of buying them.

OP maybe theres a member on this board who knows these cars well who can look at it for you, done that myself and saved me some real headache.
Have bought one car sight unseen from a member...had a good idea of what i was getting so went with it. He drove 5 hrs to drop it off. Did promise if I passed on the car Id cover his time/gas

Last edited by cv67; 04-27-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I wouldnt let anyone fool with my car either...Look, ask questions crawl under it fine.
I get the concern though as many people out there knowingly sell junk and will lie like a rug to get out from under a problem.
Anyone local can waste time like a long distance buyer would;trust your gut when speaking (not text or email) to someone, you are kind of buying them.

OP maybe theres a member on this board who knows these cars well who can look at it for you, done that myself and saved me some real headache.
Have bought one car sight unseen from a member...had a good idea of what i was getting so went with it. He drove 5 hrs to drop it off. Did promise if I passed on the car Id cover his time/gas
So people lie, by your admission. You don't want me to have a professional mechanic, in our presence look it over on a rack. You want me to trust you and go on a gut feeling and you want top dollar? Pass. I agree I don't want any Tom, whose Dick is Harry to be fooling around with it but I'd definitely let a professional shop look it over with the money in escrow. Obviously if there is something wrong, deal is off but if I were selling my car for $10K or more, I don't have the right to tell the buyer he can't make sure I am not screwing him over. When you hang around auto parts stores and garages enough, you get to see all the penny pinching going on when it comes to maintenance to the point of outright stupidity, I'd either pass if you tell me I can't have someone look it over and trust your answers. As I have heard, "Trust Me" is a polite way to say "Fawk You".

So why don't I go pay you with a check? Trust me. It's good. You'd want some way to be sure you get paid and I want some way to know I am not getting a bunch of lies from you. Gone are the days of a "handshake deal" being a certainty. I don't know you and you don't know me so lets all be careful. I have seen way too many "I thought it was a good deal till....." and I have, in my previous business, seen way too many good looking checks that were duds.

Last edited by aklim; 04-27-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

How do you do that without buying first and having title in hand?
Don't need a title to get a TEMP reg. Not in UT, anyway. UT is happy to sell you as many TEMP reg's, as you care to make up fake cars in your head.

Quick Reply: Interested in Corvette out of state