C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Interested in Corvette out of state

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 10:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
I've done this a few times, none have been a very far trip. Just slapped an old plate I had on it and drove it home, never got stopped. And drove it home like an old lady after sunday church.
I wouldn't. If you get stopped, well........
Old 04-27-2019, 11:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
and the other I walked away from disgusted and pissed at the guy. But there was a $500 deposit involved because the car was highly sought after. I never got the deposit back.
Could you have done an escrow situation where I buy if certain conditions are met?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

One other aspect of this deal was I had been gone 10 days. Early in the trip I developed a horrible toothache that required a root canal the day after I got back. My judgment and thinking was affected by the pain. (lesson 4: be in good spirits, and thinking clearly. Or call the trip off).

To answer the question regarding "escrow" I feel a good compromise would be to find or know an acquaintance that is familiar with the marquee to conduct an inspection prior to going there yourself. Forums can be useful in identifying qualified people for this purpose. I receive referrals through NCRS, and occasionally for SyTy's through my contacts with those cars, even though the forum self-destructed a few years ago.
I don't know about your thoughts by in my book, if you can poke a hole in the rust, the only way to fix it is to cut it out and weld a new piece of metal or change the panel if you want to be sure. So yes, I have no fault with that judgment. Maybe the pain made you less tolerant of the issues which is a good thing too.

Sure, if you can find that someone who won't feel bad if a problem occurs and is in the area, it could be a good idea. I have done it a couple times but I always warn the buyer that he should NOT take my word for it and do a final inspection before he sends money. I have accepted the buyer's money and gotten cash to make the seller feel better about accepting a check or money order that might be a fake with my local bank facilitating the issue.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:02 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 58VetteBoy
Has anyone had an experience with buying a Corvette that was a decent distance away from them?
I haven't gone far to get a used car but a few things I've done in the past to help weed out those who might be keeping ugly secrets about the the car.
  1. Carfax to be safe (obvious).
  2. Maintenance records.
  3. Tell seller that you want a 14 to 30 day warranty (That usually weeds out the shady sellers, although some states require a warranty).
  4. Ideally a good mechanic to check it out, but that might not be so easy to do when travelling far.
  5. Go to the Regional Forum here and see if you can find a vette enthusiast who is close and might be willing to take a closer look. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-discussion-9/. Great way to get an unbiased opinion.
  6. Honest sellers always point out the flaws even those a buyer might not see right away.

Last edited by bac22; 04-29-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 PM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, I live in Fort Wayne also. My first Corvette was in Indy when I bought it, the second was in Chicago. The one in Chicago was in better condition than the other, but still had some issues. But, it was what I was looking for, so I went ahead and purchased it.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:12 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by puterami
In Alabama I've been pulled over and let go after showing paperwork.
me too. Made it the 8 hours back from Tampa and got pulled over 5 miles from the house
Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by bac22
I haven't gone far to get a used car but a few things I've done in the past to help weed out those who might be keeping ugly secrets about the the car.
  1. Carfax to be safe (obvious).
  2. Maintenance records.
  3. Tell seller that you want a 14 to 30 day warranty (That usually weeds out the shady sellers, although some states require a warranty).
  4. Ideally a good mechanic to check it out, but that might not be so easy to do when travelling far.
  5. Go to the Regional Forum here and see if you can find a vette enthusiast who is close and might be willing to take a closer look. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-discussion-9/. Great way to get an unbiased opinion.
  6. Honest sellers always point out the flaws even those a buyer might not see right away.
All good points except #3 and #6. Those two are a bit humorous.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bac22
  1. Tell seller that you want a 14 to 30 day warranty (That usually weeds out the shady sellers, although some states require a warranty).
  2. Honest sellers always point out the flaws even those a buyer might not see right away.
What states require a warranty? AFAIK, WI doesn't so as long as I am selling from I don't need to care about whether it blows up or not. If I am a dealer, I have certain obligations but less than 5 per year, I don't care if it goes up in a fireball as long as I get paid. I take a picture of your license on the contract which states clearly "AS IS".

Maybe you do but I have never seen a seller that does point out anything. They might not try to hide something but they sure are not going to point out and give you ammunition to lower the price unless they are stupid.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

How's that work out for you? No private seller in his right mind would offer a warranty. Anyone can blow up anything. If someone asked me for a warranty, I'd tell him "guaranteed to make it out of the driveway, then you're on your own".

True story: I sold my personal Typhoon after 9 years of enjoyment. Was a smoking deal for the buyer, he paid less than I paid for the paint job alone. I DROVE it from Los Angeles to Boston, no tools, no problems, and he purchased it there. The car ran flawlessly, like it had done for 9 years. 17 DAYS after he took delivery, it put a rod through a cyl wall. He admitted that he had been messing around and broke a rubber fitting on the turbo waste-gate. He drove it anyway, and it went into uncontrolled over-boost. About 30psi. I(f he'd left the hood closed, everything would have been fine. Instead he blew his **** up in 17 DAYS, and it took 2 years for hi8m to get it running again.

Example as to why I only guarantee it to get out of the driveway.
I guarantee it till money changes hands. It is pretty much "AS IS. No warranties expressed or implied.".
Old 04-30-2019, 01:55 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by aklim
It would get impounded out here....take a bill of sale and drive it home Id be surprised if anyone got a ticket unless the tags were expired.
If someones just tire kicking no I wont go take it to a shop for them. If it was an expensive car, I have a deposit,. big maybe...they are better off taking a Fri night flight and coming out to see it.
I dont want to hear someone complaining the inspector missed something or worse yet they are wanting more $ off post inspection after wasting that much of my time.
Warranty? Ive had one actually ask that they were dead serious; that conversation ended real quick. I tell buyers the good and the bad even when I know they will never see it
If they are still paranoid at that point I dont want to deal with them they will be calling for months. If the car looks better/worse in person Ill be up front, not many sellers do that

Some have a weirdo thing about their car and check up for years which imo is bizarre. When Im done im done its just a car....nuts bolts and plastique.
Mystique disappears when you completely disassemble one and you got a pile of parts making a mess. LOL

Last edited by cv67; 04-30-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Well what? If I have the signed title, bill of sale, insurance card in my name with VIN of the car I bought the only thing the cop can write for is unregistered vehicle. The plate I use is a plate off one of my owned cars. In PA, NJ or NY you don't get arrested and/or impounded for driving an unregistered vehicle you also happen to own and insure. Can't imagine any state doing that.

Last edited by pacoW; 04-30-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Well what? If I have the signed title, bill of sale, insurance card in my name with VIN of the car I bought the only thing the cop can write for is unregistered vehicle. The plate I use is a plate off one of my owned cars. In PA, NJ or NY you don't get arrested and/or impounded for driving an unregistered vehicle you also happen to own and insure. Can't imagine any state doing that.
Assuming you are right that all they can is ticket you for that one thing and you are good with it, fine. OTOH, if they want to disturb you for whatever their reason, didn't get lucky with the wife, couldn't get it up, etc, etc, they can keep you around for a while. I got pulled over for going too slow through an intersection when it was snowing. Please keep the engine off (car was freezing), wait for the drug dogs, turn on your AC while the dog sniffs around, etc, etc. Again, if you have no issues with a ticket, it's all good.

Also, I would find it EASIER to say "Sir, I just bought this car 2 hours ago and do not have it registered yet. I will when I get home." than "I put on another plate to NOT attract attention. So sorry for the confusion."

Last edited by aklim; 04-30-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

My experience is, when people start looking out of state, they have the fever, not good ...
Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
My experience is, when people start looking out of state, they have the fever, not good ...

Hence the reason why I say it is better to get a PDI. If you really want to override the report, it is another barrier to overcome. When you have the fever you can gloss over stuff and not look for things because it would make it hard to buy a problem child. Mind can be your biggest enemy to overcome
Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Like I said in previous post. BIG problem in some states. You cant just go switching plates on cars.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:48 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Like I said in previous post. BIG problem in some states. You cant just go switching plates on cars.
Regardless of the state, if I were the cop and I see run the plates and it comes up tied to another car, it will definitely make me think you are trying to blend in with the rest of the cars and might make me look harder and waste your time more, at the very least.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:06 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
x2
Friend did that, his car got impounded on the way home
When a cop pulls you over hes probably run your plate already

Get notified of new replies

To Interested in Corvette out of state

Old 05-05-2019, 10:44 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
When a cop pulls you over hes probably run your plate already
Ya think? I left my wallet at home and he knew who I was by registration
Old 05-05-2019, 12:23 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Having bought cars from coast to coast, and most recently bringing one from overseas, the internet makes buying a car a global thing now, and easy.

That said, same cautions prevail in long distance buys. Get your questions answered, then go see the car (or pay someone to see the car). Good luck. FWIW, 3 hours away is nothing. Really.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

In my state, you pay $5.00 for a trip permit and drive on a slip of paper. It's valid for 3 days, point of purchase to home (or wherever you say when you buy the permit). Easy.

Quick Reply: Interested in Corvette out of state