C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Interested in Corvette out of state

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

[QUOTE]when people start looking out of state, they have the fever, not good ...[QUOTE]
Agree...once in awhile I see one that is so nice/low mi Id be tempted to take a flight..coupel hundred dollars is worth not spending another 6 mos looking.
Price wouldnt even be a factor its finding one thats not roached to death
Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
I've done this a few times, none have been a very far trip. Just slapped an old plate I had on it and drove it home, never got stopped. And drove it home like an old lady after sunday church.
In Florida, knowingly attaching an unassigned license plate, tag, or validation sticker to a vehicle is a second degree misdemeanor, with penalties of up to 60 days in jail or 6 months of probation, and a $500 fine.

I believe slapping a plate on a vehicle that it was not assigned to is illegal in every state. The penalties from state to state and the actions of the LEO may vary, but it's illegal.

Last edited by GTs 58; 05-15-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Worst case, you can always pay to have a car shipped if you can't come up with any other solution.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I know that this is going to sound really ignorant but have you ever considered simply contacting your own state DMV and ask them "If I am buying a car from state "X" and driving it home to our state to register it here, what's the best way to go about this and not run afoul of our states rules & regulations?"

You could even call the state DMV of the state where the car resides and ask them the opposite question: "I'm buying a used car in your state from a private owner and driving it home to my state "X". What's the best way to do this to not run afoul of the your state's rules & regulations?"

You may find out that it's way easier than some people make it out to be. Then again .... depending on the two states involved ... it may not.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I live in Washington State. I have bought 2 Corvettes from California, and 1 each from Arizona and Idaho. I paid cash, got the seller to sign the title, and drove home with the cars. Took the paperwork to the DMV and got the title transferred and registration done, payed the required taxes, and never had a problem.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I live down in Indianapolis. If it isnt to far away from me I will got take a look see for you.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
I live in Washington State. I have bought 2 Corvettes from California, and 1 each from Arizona and Idaho. I paid cash, got the seller to sign the title, and drove home with the cars. Took the paperwork to the DMV and got the title transferred and registration done, payed the required taxes, and never had a problem.
If you got stopped, you would have
Old 05-17-2019, 06:48 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
If you got stopped, you would have
You will get questions but if you have paperwork done, it will be good unless you mouth off to the cop or he is power tripping. I think they often are going to be understanding that you are unable to get the proper plates if you are cool. Start trying to practice law on the road side and tell them what they can or cannot do and all bets are off. BTDT with a friend who got 2 citations when he could have possibly gotten off with a warning or maybe 1 citation.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
You will get questions but if you have paperwork done, it will be good unless you mouth off to the cop or he is power tripping. I think they often are going to be understanding that you are unable to get the proper plates if you are cool. Start trying to practice law on the road side and tell them what they can or cannot do and all bets are off. BTDT with a friend who got 2 citations when he could have possibly gotten off with a warning or maybe 1 citation.
I guarantee that in most cases, you can't just throw any old plate on a car and drive it without consequences
Old 05-18-2019, 12:24 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I guarantee that in most cases, you can't just throw any old plate on a car and drive it without consequences
TOTALLY agree. I am saying that if you are pulled over without plates and they ask you why and you show paperwork that you JUST bought it and are on your way home. You put incorrect plates and you just opened up a different story.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know what all the other states do these days, but here in AZ the plates stay with the seller and it wasn't that long ago when the plates stayed on the car when it was sold. In 1999 I picked up car in California and those current plates stayed with that car until I registered it here in Az.

Quick Reply: Interested in Corvette out of state