Interested in Corvette out of state

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:59 PM
58VetteBoy
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Interested in Corvette out of state

I came across a C4 Coupe last fall after browsing online for awhile. However, at the time I was pretty dead set on a particular color combination. Within the past few months I had thought about it again and came across it for sale again a few days ago. I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana and the the car is about 3 hours away from me. It's in immaculate condition and is almost spot on as far as the color/options I'm looking for.

I owned a 1984 in 2005 but I bought that site unseen. I originally saw it in the Indiana Auto Trader and then a few days later it appeared on Ebay. I called the guy over the phone and two days later they drove it up from Indy to Fort Wayne. I pretty much knew it was not a cream puff but was surprised to see a few "defects" that were not showed in pictures. A few years ago I found the exact car I was looking for about 45 minutes away which had 32k miles on it and was very cheaply priced. They had few pictures of it online and described it as being in good condition when I spoke with the owner on the phone. Well I went to go see it in person and from 20 feet away I could tell I was not interested in it. Luckily it was only a 45 minute drive.

This car is at least 3 hours away. I've asked for very specific pictures and have been very well pleased with what has been sent and described to me. It also has pretty much every option that I'm looking for on it as listed on the RPO sheet. Miles are very low.

Has anyone had an experience with buying a Corvette that was a decent distance away from them?

Last edited by 58VetteBoy; 04-25-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Yes, I purchased a 1992 Corvette a couple states away, 240 miles. I asked lots of questions and had him take very specific pictures. It turned out well and I purchased the car after I saw and drove it. You might be able to get someone local to the car on this forum to look at it for you.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Be very careful about site unseen purchases even if the seller seems to have all the right answers. As you have already found out, many times a long distance On craigslist here I've been noticing a few on sale that closer inspection shows that the pictures in the ad were old. The latest one had pictures that were taken in 2010. The text of ad says it hasn't been run in a number of years but doesn't say anything about current condition. So although the pictures look great a buyer would have to do a lot of questioning of seller to better determine if worth price.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:18 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 348 Posts

Don't know why you would even consider buying from pictures. It's 3 hours there, 3 hours back. 1.5 hours to check the car and a 15 minute break each direction. 8 hours total - same as a days work. Should be able to do that with your eyes closed.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:30 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,280 Likes on 864 Posts

Flew 5 hours and drove it home. Seller described it accurately and no issues with the car. Just made sure I had a return flight in case it went sour.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:40 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

3 hours Id drive for.....9 out of 10 cars I looked at were way worse than described, you almost have to expect it. Its usually the one you dont look at cause youre fed up that gets bought.
Wound up buying a 1 ton in a color I didnt like as all the others Id seen were a complete waste of time, price was right too! People are generally full of it.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 PM
Motleyfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
3 hours Id drive for.....9 out of 10 cars I looked at were way worse than described, you almost have to expect it. Its usually the one you dont look at cause youre fed up that gets bought.
Wound up buying a 1 ton in a color I didnt like as all the others Id seen were a complete waste of time, price was right too! People are generally full of it.
Cruisinartvette.... please check your PM's.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:44 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,430 Likes on 2,795 Posts

Al.ost all my cars come from 3+ hours away.

In general, if the car is priced aggressively and that's why you like it, you will be disappointed. If its priced fair to high, you will likely be satisfied
Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by 58VetteBoy
Has anyone had an experience with buying a Corvette that was a decent distance away from them?
Depends. I bought it "sight unseen" about a 12 hour drive away. Brought the truck and picked up a trailer there. Towed it back. Didn't bother to bring much since I didn't want to do a PDI there. Of course the seller knew that I would be doing a PDI including a compression test and if it wasn't what he said, I'd drive home without the car or trailer.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:49 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

What's 3 hours?
Old 04-26-2019, 01:12 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
What's 3 hours?
^This. How long will you own the car for (if you like it/buy it)? So...compared to that, what's the time investment to travel to it? It's basically nothing.

I live in UT....I bought a boat in Indiana 19 yeas ago...still have it. Bought a CTS-V for my wife in Seattle 10 years ago, just sold it a couple months ago. Long distance purchases can be totally worth it.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:16 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Back in 1998 after a year of searching I came across a Corvette that appeared to be what I wanted. It was on AutoTrader.com. I live in Arizona and the Corvette was in Alabama. After talking to the good ole boy quite a few times having him answer all my questions and having him send more of his crappy pictures, I told him I'll head over and buy it since I thought the price seem right. Got two round trip plane tickets, return tickets just in case, lined up a truck and car hauler with U-haul and then my Son and I flew to Atlanta on Saturday. Rented a car at the airport and then drove to Anniston. As we pulled into the sellers high end subdivision I was pretty pumped when I first caught a glimpse of the car sitting in the driveway. But the closer we got my smile turned to an "oh ****!" face. Checked the car out, drove it around the block and then told the seller I'll have to think about it overnight. He lied to me about the true condition and history of the car and never had a picture or mentioned all the butchered up sections. Ended up using the return flight tickets the next day. It took me almost another year to find what I was looking for with a few trips to Vegas and countless trips to California to see the cars in person. After a few thousand spent just looking, I finally brought one home from Cali.

Last edited by GTs 58; 04-26-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Pre-purchase inspection by a local mechanic can be a ripe off - know from experience.
Safest to inspect the car yourself. Plus you can negotiate better face to face.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Alabama is a horrible place to buy used cars. I haven't bought a car in Alabama in almost 20 years. Plenty of 8 hour drives, plane tickets and more cups of coffee than I can count. I've only been burned once in 20 years. That being said, do your research,ask the right questions and be prepared to drive home empty handed. Look at it as an adventure and part of the process.

Last edited by 95LT1ZF; 04-26-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:41 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by RtStuf
Pre-purchase inspection by a local mechanic can be a ripe off - know from experience.
Safest to inspect the car yourself. Plus you can negotiate better face to face.
How? Do you have a rack in your back pocket? Sure, you can bring a scanner and read data and even compression gauge but leak down testing?

Also you DON'T give him free license to do what he wants. You supervise. Plus, he has NO emotional attachment

Last edited by aklim; 04-26-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:55 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I bought a truck in Calif and the Vette in New Mexico. The truck was at a car dealer and the Vette was in a car auction. I lucked out in both cases. The truck still had mfg warranty and even though the truck was 2 yrs old it looked and drove perfect other than the cd player not working (which was replaced under warranty). The Vette I found on the sellers website yet with about 30 pictures and another dozen or so on the auction website. Good Carfax on it along with they had a PDI done somewhere else which was available. I felt confident of it and bought it via the auction. I then flew down and drove it home.

It worked out for me.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:20 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

How do you buy and drive home without registering in your state? Ins is easy to get with a phone call, but what about driving it if the seller doesn't have plates already on it and is willing to let you use them?

Get notified of new replies

To Interested in Corvette out of state

Old 04-26-2019, 12:34 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
How do you buy and drive home without registering in your state? Ins is easy to get with a phone call, but what about driving it if the seller doesn't have plates already on it and is willing to let you use them?
I've done this a few times, none have been a very far trip. Just slapped an old plate I had on it and drove it home, never got stopped. And drove it home like an old lady after sunday church.

Last edited by pacoW; 04-26-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
I've done this a few times, none have been a very far trip. Just slapped an old plate I had on it and drove it home, never got stopped. And drove it home like an old lady after sunday church.
Have found that it's a felony in some states
Old 04-26-2019, 02:08 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Have found that it's a felony in some states
not in PA, NJ, or NY. Felony for driving an unregistered vehicle? Sound like something cali would do.

Quick Reply: Interested in Corvette out of state