Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I'm getting ready to replace Front Control Arm Bushings......

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 12:31 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Default I'm getting ready to replace Front Control Arm Bushings......

…....and am asking for any tips or tricks that others may have used to remove the rubber bushings from the upper control arms.

I could probably figure it out..... because I learn from my mistakes...… but this is one of things I can't afford to make a mistake on.

I couldn't even find a YouTube video, or I was not searching using the right words. Either way, just looking for some advice.

I have a 12 ton press, and I am sure it will come in handy.

Thanks, Jared
Old 05-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Corvette Central DIY may have information. GM did not released c4 control arm bushings as a service part. Arms were intended to be serviced by replacement. A little heat will be required to get nuts off shaft. Once nuts are off things should go well.

Last edited by Kevova; 05-03-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:58 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

Alrighty.... I am off to a pretty good start. Instructions would certainly help but looking at the bushings and the hardware helps a lot in figuring out how it comes apart and goes back together.

I screwed up the install of one of the bushings..... I inserted the sleeve out of sequence and the bushing would not bottom out in the arm, it was just mushrooming the bushing where I was pressing. Popped it back apart and rerouted my strategy.

One of the things that also helped in the end was a 3 jaw puller. When inserting the last bushing.... on the right in the pictures, it would still not bottom out completely because of the preinstalled retainer on the shaft. Without the sleeve inserted, I installed the outside cupped washer and the nut, tightened the nut to the point where there was pressure on the bushing, and then pulled the arm onto the bushing using a 3 jaw puller. Worked like a charm and now I am going to tackle the lower control arm.

I'm doing this one side at a time so that I will have a reference to look at in case I get my reinstallation out of order.

Jared

Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 PM
lotsofspareparts
Racer

I'm wishing I would have taken a picture of the way I used the 3 jaw puller, I could do an entire step by step for someone else based on what I learned.

The front end is done!! The new rack and pinion got installed with urethane bushings, sway bar got urethane, and of course the upper and lower control arms. The kit even included urethane boots for the tie rods.... so I figured what the hell.

I did a rudimentary "toe" alignment with some twine and made several test drives to get steering wheel position straight and to correct any pulling that the car was doing. It still has a very slight drift to the right (which it did before I started) but is better than it was. Steering wheel is straight, and the car tracks pretty straight when I dynamite the brakes. I'm going to consider this close enough to still be able to drive it until I get the bushings in the rear suspension swapped out. At that point I will schedule the car for a 4 wheel alignment.

I have quite a few pictures, and will include them all. The 12 ton press is a Harbor Fright unit that I found on CL for $60 a year or so ago. I didn't even need it at that time but figured it would come in handy one day.

It really is too bad that my new Bilsteins are on backorder... 12-14 weeks is the estimate. I took the car up a winding climbing backroad earlier at twice the posted limits for the corners and it almost felt like it was glued to the road...…. It was fun!!

Jared

The following 3 users liked this post by lotsofspareparts:
MUSTANGKILLA (07-30-2022), novaks47 (07-30-2022), Ranger72 (03-28-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:20 AM
txmtxm999
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts
I'm wishing I would have taken a picture of the way I used the 3 jaw puller, I could do an entire step by step for someone else based on what I learned.

The front end is done!! The new rack and pinion got installed with urethane bushings, sway bar got urethane, and of course the upper and lower control arms. The kit even included urethane boots for the tie rods.... so I figured what the hell.

I did a rudimentary "toe" alignment with some twine and made several test drives to get steering wheel position straight and to correct any pulling that the car was doing. It still has a very slight drift to the right (which it did before I started) but is better than it was. Steering wheel is straight, and the car tracks pretty straight when I dynamite the brakes. I'm going to consider this close enough to still be able to drive it until I get the bushings in the rear suspension swapped out. At that point I will schedule the car for a 4 wheel alignment.

I have quite a few pictures, and will include them all. The 12 ton press is a Harbor Fright unit that I found on CL for $60 a year or so ago. I didn't even need it at that time but figured it would come in handy one day.

It really is too bad that my new Bilsteins are on backorder... 12-14 weeks is the estimate. I took the car up a winding climbing backroad earlier at twice the posted limits for the corners and it almost felt like it was glued to the road...…. It was fun!!

Jared

Dude please tell me if you ended up finding a tutorial or if you could give me a quick run through. I just got some polyurethane front control arm bushings and are going to install them with my friend soon. Just like you stated before I cannot find any tutorials anywhere and I do not want to mess this up or cause a bigger problem out of it.
​​​it.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm getting ready to replace Front Control Arm Bushings......

Quick Reply: I'm getting ready to replace Front Control Arm Bushings......