1994 Corvette Shocks and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:03 AM
Aerensith
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Corvette Shocks and brakes

Hey all!

After accidentally posting this in the wrong section, I moved it back over here.

So I recently redid all of the ball joints and hubs on my '94 corvette, but the time has come to finally tackle all the shocks and brakes. The shocks i currently have on my car are stock and have completely gone out. I'm hoping to replace them with ones that will be able to keep the ERC operable. I've seen some Monroe shocks on rock auto that can do this but I'm not sure they're high enough quality? Will the Bilstein shocks keep my ERC?
Link to RockAuto the I speak of:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+absorber,7556

Also my brakes need to be redone after. Suggestions for brakes and pads? Currently looking at the below setup:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1354&jsn=10633

Thanks for helping a noob,
~Aeren~

Last edited by Aerensith; 05-07-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I replied in the other thread too re the brakes. I like the z26 pads that Powerstop sells, and run them on my 96 for street and autocross use. Powerstop told me they are the same pad material as the z23, but they have a different backing plate material that helps them handle heat better (that's probably application specific). I'm not a fan of drilled rotors or even slotted ones. I just use plain replacement rotors, or Centric/Stoptech has some cryo-treated and high-carbon replacements that seem to resist warping better. I'd probably get those if I need to ever replace mine.

On shocks, this is one area where you get what you pay for. Someone said the Monroes just fit the car but don't have active damping adjustments, I would believe that. That active valving is complicated and expensive, and apparently not available now. Plain Bilsteins are a big step up from el-cheapo KYBs and Monroes. Another step up yet are Koni Sports and Ridetech HQ shocks, both of which are manually adjustable for rebound damping. Both of these allow a very comfortable ride (probably more so than the Bilsteins) but can be adjusted to be much firmer for better grip and suspension management whenever you want that. If it were me, I'd go the Ridetech route.
The following users liked this post:
Aerensith (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

With the fx3 shocks the actuator , little motors that mount on top of shocks, do fail. You may want be sure shocks have failed.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Aerensith
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
With the fx3 shocks the actuator , little motors that mount on top of shocks, do fail. You may want be sure shocks have failed.
Last time I took my car in to get it aligned they took one look at my shocks and said they needed help. I've put some miles on my car since then and I can feel the car bounce when I'm driving. I'm relatively certain its the shocks failing if not the shocks AND the actuators.
I think I'm going to go the Bilstein route and not keep ride control but hang onto the shocks in case i want them rebuilt later.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Corvette Shocks and brakes

Quick Reply: 1994 Corvette Shocks and brakes