C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 front spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:03 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 1996 front spoiler

Getting ready to remove/replace the 3-piece front spoiler on my GS. Can one guy do this job or not? The C5’s are a cinch to replace but the C4’s are different. Any good tips out there if only one guy attempts this task?
Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 AM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman
Getting ready to remove/replace the 3-piece front spoiler on my GS. Can one guy do this job or not? The C5’s are a cinch to replace but the C4’s are different. Any good tips out there if only one guy attempts this task?
Replaced the air dam on my 92 a while back. Not too bad, took about half hour. Trick was getting the holes lined up for the bolts. An imported Chinese knock off did'nt fit perfectly but I finally got it on. It's already scratched up again lol!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've replaced the 3 piece unit on my 95 twice now. No issues at all.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:16 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

It will be easier if you put the car up on ramps. I just took off my fiberglass one (cracked it when I misjudged pulling in at an angle) and put the factory one back on. It is pretty quick, especially on ramps.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:07 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Default Spoiler

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I've replaced the 3 piece unit on my 95 twice now. No issues at all.
Okay thanks to all.... I was curious if only one guy is doing it? How did you get the nuts on the bolts from up above? Don’t you have to push the bolts up through the bottom, then install the nuts from down inside the hood? Of course the center piece you can do from the bottom side since the screws are right there in front of you. But the the 2 sides I’m thinking aren’t like that, instead, the bolts go up through and inside the front hood area.....
Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Okay thanks to all.... I was curious if only one guy is doing it? How did you get the nuts on the bolts from up above? Don’t you have to push the bolts up through the bottom, then install the nuts from down inside the hood? Of course the center piece you can do from the bottom side since the screws are right there in front of you. But the the 2 sides I’m thinking aren’t like that, instead, the bolts go up through and inside the front hood area.....
IIRC, all the fasteners for the C4 front spoiler can be accessed without opening the hood.
Also, this would be a great opportunity to add a screen to the intake area to keep out leaves and other debris from collecting in the condenser-radiator area.... one of the main issues affecting our cooling systems.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DGXR
IIRC, all the fasteners for the C4 front spoiler can be accessed without opening the hood.
Also, this would be a great opportunity to add a screen to the intake area to keep out leaves and other debris from collecting in the condenser-radiator area.... one of the main issues affecting our cooling systems.
Wow I never knew that. Hmmmm unsure why I was thinking the two side pieces of the spoiler one had to access inside the hood for the install. I’ll go check that out in the morning. Replacing those spoilers are the only items remaining for me to do. Then GS #855 will be ready for the all Corvette show June 9th at Roscoe Village in Coshocton, Ohio for judging..,,

Last edited by zeeman; 05-08-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Adding to text
Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well ......... the cover looks just lovely. Show us the car !!!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:21 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Old 05-09-2019, 12:24 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

What vendor on this Forum offers the screen you mentioned? Great idea if one drives their C4 a lot....!!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

What vendor on this Forum offers the screen you mentioned? Great idea if one drives their C4 a lot....!!
I'm not aware of any pre-made screens that can simply be bought and installed, but they may be out there. Most I have seen are fabricated by the owner... some take a little work, some take a lot, depending on your desired level of fit & finish. Mine is simple and a bit crude -- I used galvanized steel hardware cloth 1/4" and cut to fit the intake area, I used 2 layers for a bit more stiffness but it won't stop a flying 2x4: hardware cloth
Some people get fancy and use this type of perforated plate material: perforated sheet
Do some searches and you will see what people have done to cover or screen this air intake area.
This is a great modification, as long as airflow is not significantly impeded. These cars really need something like this instead of just an open gaping hole to swallow everything.
Here are some pictures of my setup, it works great:

Last edited by DGXR; 05-09-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:25 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks fine. Who crawls under there to look anyway
Old 05-10-2019, 04:45 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Those pictures are my car, not the OP's. I wanted to show the wire mesh which keeps debris out of the radiator/condenser area.
The following users liked this post:
Marty-Vancouver-WA (06-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 01:18 AM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RIC96
Looks fine. Who crawls under there to look anyway
Th owner should check every now and then to insure your radiator isn’t clogged full of debris. Just an FYI...👍
Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

good idea and with a bit of black spray paint,,,,,,,,,
Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

Went out to the garage to check it out what you said here.... my GS Must be different than yours...lol. No way one can’t avoid opening the hood to access the nut on the bolts that are on the sides of the spoilers. I’d love to read exactly how you did that..... just askin’....

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 front spoiler

Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Went out to the garage to check it out what you said here.... my GS Must be different than yours...lol. No way one can’t avoid opening the hood to access the nut on the bolts that are on the sides of the spoilers. I’d love to read exactly how you did that..... just askin’....
Ya you're right, glad I said IIRC because apparently I don't recall correctly. The center section can be undone from the bottom, but the nuts for the side sections are contained inside the engine bay and require an open hood. Sorry for the bum steer.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:57 PM
zeeman
Le Mans Master

No problem.... another poster pm’d me said the nuts are stationary on the L/R spoilers. Supposedly the nuts remain fixed so until I check that out I’ll with hold my opinions...👍

thanks
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

^ If that is true about the fixed nuts, then it seems all 3 sections can be removed/installed without opening the hood. Interested to hear your experience when done with your work.
I haven't messed with anything but the center section and that was just to install the wire mesh... also several times I have used a lighter to melt/adjust the center blade to direct more air upward My pieces are factory originals, I think.

Quick Reply: 1996 front spoiler