Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Your top speed in a c4

 
Old 05-11-2019, 10:04 AM
  #21  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 68,785
Received 1,222 Likes on 1,119 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

89, 115 max it took awhile to get there. Felt ok long as the tops on
90 Z 158, caught a bad side gust almost blew me off the road. MIle later coyote ran out in front of me. THen realized at that speed youre just along for the ride, lost the itch for high speed. 0-120 fast is good enough .

The shocks were old so it didnt feel quite right. outside that above 100 the car squatted down some and felt great. 100 all day comfortably.
These days its a quick sprint into 4th then backing right down. Love my cheap insurance.
cuisinartvette is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 10:09 AM
  #22  
PoloGreen92
Junior Member
 
PoloGreen92's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2019
Location: Dayton OH
Posts: 14
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
89, 115 max it took awhile to get there. Felt ok long as the tops on
90 Z 158, caught a bad side gust almost blew me off the road. MIle later coyote ran out in front of me. THen realized at that speed youre just along for the ride, lost the itch for high speed. 0-120 fast is good enough .

The shocks were old so it didnt feel quite right. outside that above 100 the car squatted down some and felt great. 100 all day comfortably.
These days its a quick sprint into 4th then backing right down. Love my cheap insurance.
Same. Kind of just drive mine around with a couple hard pulls now and a again. Have a tunnel not too far from my house that's fun to get loud in.
PoloGreen92 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 10:17 AM
  #23  
RetroGuy
CF Senior Member
 
RetroGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2018
Location: So.California: 1996 Torch Red LT1
Posts: 456
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

I'd love to take mine out on an oval NASCAR track and also a long straight away to test it out. I think I'd lay off the gas pedal even if I was able to hit 150, just to make sure I don't hurt anything... like myself.
RetroGuy is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 11:41 AM
  #24  
tequilaboy
CF Senior Member
 
tequilaboy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: Lakeville MI
Posts: 2,353
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Not mine, but here's a log from a supercharged 86 w-4L80E trans and 3.73 gear at 140 mph. This car will run out of gear around 175 mph, but should have more than enough power to get there at ~530 rwhp.

https://datazap.me/u/tequilaboy/140-...2480&mark=1485
tequilaboy is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 01:37 PM
  #25  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Custer, WI
Posts: 3,285
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

165 in an 85 with a 383, HSR, comp 280 xfi. The sound of the wind is amazing at that speed
Pwnage1337 is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 12:46 PM
  #26  
lotsofspareparts
CF Senior Member
 
lotsofspareparts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Posts: 109
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

130 a week ago in my stock 88 Vert. Very stable, the car felt like it knew exactly what it was doing.

Comparatively speaking, my 03 1.8T Jetta scares me at 90mph. Not a very confident feeling car.

Jared
lotsofspareparts is online now  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM
  #27  
Cruisinfanatic
. 1985 Original Owner .
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Cruisinfanatic's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Clifton Park, NY ....... .......Clearwater, FL
Posts: 4,203
Received 180 Likes on 151 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vettpapaw View Post
126 mph according to the trooper....
How expensive?
Cruisinfanatic is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:04 PM
  #28  
Cruisinfanatic
. 1985 Original Owner .
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Cruisinfanatic's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Clifton Park, NY ....... .......Clearwater, FL
Posts: 4,203
Received 180 Likes on 151 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RetroGuy View Post
I'd love to take mine out on an oval NASCAR track and also a long straight away to test it out. I think I'd lay off the gas pedal even if I was able to hit 150, just to make sure I don't hurt anything... like myself.
145 is better?
Cruisinfanatic is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM
  #29  
kael
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
kael's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Posts: 920
Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

My Lady and I hit 123 on a back country road and we said good enough. I'm sure She could go faster, but not my head.

As usual, She did like She always does when I'm along for the ride, point and She goes.
kael is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:24 PM
  #30  
DGXR
CF Senior Member
 
DGXR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,081
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts
Default

110 MPH and still pulling hard. Felt very smooth and stable, but also the pavement was near perfect.
DGXR is online now  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM
  #31  
*89x2*
CF Senior Member
 
*89x2*'s Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2001
Location: ...tearing up the highways, one state at a timeôģ©
Posts: 15,991
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

It's interesting to see how slow so many cars are being touted in a thread about, "Top Speed"
*89x2* is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:35 PM
  #32  
DGXR
CF Senior Member
 
DGXR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,081
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by *89x2* View Post
It's interesting to see how slow so many cars are being touted in a thread about, "Top Speed"
I understood this thread to be about the highest speeds people have actually had their cars, not about the car's absolute top speed.
My completely stock 1995 would do 150+ for sure. I am the limiting factor, 110 and pulling hard was plenty enough for me, nothing to prove.
It sounds like you might want to start a thread asking people who have run their cars flat-out. That would be truly "top speed."
DGXR is online now  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:06 PM
  #33  
radar502
CF Senior Member
 
radar502's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,031
Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

My 93 at 140MPH drives great auto at that but has new springs, lowered , shocks tires ECT. These old C-4s refreshed will go way faster than people think and drive good doing it .. Will it go any faster I think so .. I was not done at 140 , I was . I think it will do 160 ,with the 25whatwver rear gear it would take 10 miles to find out .. this one drive really good at speed ..
radar502 is online now  
Old 05-13-2019, 06:08 PM
  #34  
Yukon Corleone
CF Senior Member
 
Yukon Corleone's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Bang Bang Chicago Illinois
Posts: 912
Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by midigike View Post
Around 150 in my friends dads 94 black rose anniversary edition 6spd. We were in HS and didn't know any better.
150 also but the 1990 Corvette was new and I was 26. It was frightening to say the least. Now 29 years later I do the speed limit at all times
Yukon Corleone is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 PM
  #35  
Steves LS6
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2014
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 157
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Yukon Corleone View Post
150 also but the 1990 Corvette was new and I was 26. It was frightening to say the least. Now 29 years later I do the speed limit at all times

When you are going that fast itís not that stability of the car that is scary. Itís when you pass a car going half that speed and the Air off the slower car pushes your car.
Steves LS6 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 PM
  #36  
radar502
CF Senior Member
 
radar502's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 3,031
Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Default My old C-4


Forget top speed for a minuet . I was in a pack of Corvette a few weeks back with about 10-12 Corvettes we were on a track with big swiping turns , there were some new Zs a few newer Grand Sports a few C-6Zs and me in my old 93 LT-1 now it has been rebuild , lowered ( NOT THE MOTOR ) 125,000 miles has the 253 rear , auto very good tires shocks ECT. I was in mid pack we hit 140 hitting 90% turns 70 -80 MPH braking hard . This old 93 was pulling away from the guys behind me a little sure all they had to do we gas the newer Zs and be right on me . The point is people put down these old C-4s like ,old C-4 piece of crap . I got $10,000 in this one and I am sure I had as much fun as anybody out there and drove home 150 miles back to Houston TX with the old C/D going A/C blowing cold air and people checking out my old C-4 as I drove down the road .. Just saying fun ride for the money .
radar502 is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 PM
  #37  
Cool Runnings
CF Senior Member
 
Cool Runnings's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2017
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 2,025
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default


85mph.

Last edited by Cool Runnings; 05-14-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Cool Runnings is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 PM
  #38  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: aka "Splice"
Posts: 29,943
Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

143
Aerovette is online now  
Old 05-14-2019, 07:30 PM
  #39  
touringmike
CF Senior Member
 
touringmike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Sussex,Wi
Posts: 19,839
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I94 is a closed course, right?
120 in my 85 4+3 on a straight line.
Didn't want to push it anymore, vaibrations started to bother me.
touringmike is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 AM
  #40  
ZHammer
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 129
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by radar502 View Post

Forget top speed for a minuet . I was in a pack of Corvette a few weeks back with about 10-12 Corvettes we were on a track with big swiping turns , there were some new Zs a few newer Grand Sports a few C-6Zs and me in my old 93 LT-1 now it has been rebuild , lowered ( NOT THE MOTOR ) 125,000 miles has the 253 rear , auto very good tires shocks ECT. I was in mid pack we hit 140 hitting 90% turns 70 -80 MPH braking hard . This old 93 was pulling away from the guys behind me a little sure all they had to do we gas the newer Zs and be right on me . The point is people put down these old C-4s like ,old C-4 piece of crap . I got $10,000 in this one and I am sure I had as much fun as anybody out there and drove home 150 miles back to Houston TX with the old C/D going A/C blowing cold air and people checking out my old C-4 as I drove down the road .. Just saying fun ride for the money .

Man that sounds like a fun day. I have only been 112 in mine. Way too many troopers on my stretch of interstate.
ZHammer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your top speed in a c4


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: