Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

everyone wants to race

Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 PM
CrystalRedTed
CF Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I just ignore them all. The drivers in the truly fast cars for the most part seem aware of how dumb it is to race on a public road. The people in the slower cars are too slow to matter and sometimes I realize later that they thought they were racing while I was just pressing the throttle with my pinky toe.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:16 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Received 804 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
So its just best not to do it.
Correct. Either you can do it and demonstrate it or you may make a fool of yourself. Do it only if you feel like you have practiced before and are able. IOW, don't go pick a fight with the biggest and baddest guy at a bar unless you are a really good martial artist and KNOW that you have a decent chance of winning
Old 05-12-2019, 08:17 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed View Post
sometimes I realize later that they thought they were racing while I was just pressing the throttle with my pinky toe.
Or maybe they just drive aggressive and were not even aware of you and you thought that you were the target.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:13 PM
bud40oz
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hahaha yes exactly. just because i have a K&N air filter hanging out my hood, doesn't mean i was coming to get some ricer or a 30jive camaro. but it's cool..
aklim, if a person pulls up next to you and rides for 50 feet revving the engine, then takes off...

they are probably thinking it is a race

Last edited by bud40oz; 05-12-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:53 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bud40oz View Post
hahaha yes exactly. just because i have a K&N air filter hanging out my hood, doesn't mean i was coming to get some ricer or a 30jive camaro. but it's cool..
aklim, if a person pulls up next to you and rides for 50 feet revving the engine, then takes off...

they are probably thinking it is a race
I don't know what you are thinking. I don't know if you are a cop baiting me for your buddies or if you are really wanting to race for $20 or just trying to impress your gf/bf or both or just plain trying to show me how loud you are. You want to race, call me out and we'll talk about it. I have people do that to me in my various MB sedans or Ford Excursion diesel. Actually I got a lot of that in my Excursion. More than my C4
Old 05-12-2019, 11:42 PM
The Thomas J
CF Senior Member

I haven't found that to be the case when I'm driving my Vette. I do get the occasional nod of approval from other drivers. There is too much traffic and congestion out here. Not to mention the roads suck, the Cops are everywhere and we have a ton of deer running around year round. It's hard enough driving around worrying about all that and race someone. In many ways, the car and its talents are wasted.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I haven't found that to be the case when I'm driving my Vette. I do get the occasional nod of approval from other drivers. There is too much traffic and congestion out here. Not to mention the roads suck, the Cops are everywhere and we have a ton of deer running around year round. It's hard enough driving around worrying about all that and race someone. In many ways, the car and its talents are wasted.
In Madison, WI, there was one road that was pretty flat before it went up a hill. PERFECTION itself. A watcher could sit on top of the hill and see the cops coming and flash it's lights to warn others to stop. You could start at the bridge and a quarter mile away was a post. If you didn't need to brake hard, there was the hill as a deceleration lane.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 AM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Received 697 Likes on 517 Posts

I race every Wednesday night and 10 weekends a year.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:24 AM
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member

Received 293 Likes on 261 Posts

Out here it's usually the Rustangs and Beemer's , My car is set up for road course, lowered with 335's in the rear and a 383 worked / 6 speed.
I let them follow and them accelerate as I usually take the loop to the bridge. It's fun to watch them slide off the road into the cat-tails and weeds.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:04 AM
leadfoot33
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happened to me last night on my way home from work, literally a new chev pickup pulls beside me does the lurch thing then takes off wide open, i just kinda laughed and continued my way home
Old 05-13-2019, 01:40 AM
73DBG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED View Post
Right....they are the pit bull and you are the the small dog in most cases since these cars by today's standards are slow unless modified (which these folks wanting to race know). Just keep cruising along like you have been doing and all ends well!
This is spot on 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Now for the guys talking about calling the cops and video recording a dude who revs his engine....🙄 makes a quick pull....🙄 unbelievable.....maybe sell the vette and get a hybrid....
Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 AM
856SPEED
CF Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

i don't know about that.. my 3'rd gear at 40 with the gears i have.... gonna take a pretty stout car to beat me to 80 without ever even shifting. i will find out some day, like i said.. i was just feeling my car out and how it handles yesterday. don't assume it is stock 856speed
That's right......you don't know about that until it happens....the butt o meter is fairly useless.

I didn't assume it's stock; just said if it is.......

Take it to the track and find out how "stout" it is or to the dyno shop and have the rwhp calculated.....then post your numbers here.......then we will both know.

My Ford Taurus feels fast too.........it's not. But it was a lot faster than my Vette was when it was stock.....

Last edited by 856SPEED; 05-13-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 AM
bud40oz
CF Senior Member

well you certainly have a different view of things there 85. you some how turned into me saying i got a laugh from people pulling up next to me revving the engine and trying to race into.. i am out trying to race people in a slow car on the street and i should be at a track.. good word playing there guy. so long
Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 AM
73DBG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

well you certainly have a different view of things there 85. you some how turned into me saying i got a laugh from people pulling up next to me revving the engine and trying to race into.. i am out trying to race people in a slow car on the street and i should be at a track.. good word playing there guy. so long
Thats not what I got from 856’s post....just sounds like he’s well aware of the capabilities of a C4 compared to what’s out there today....even a modded C4 is gonna have a lot of problems against a lot of cars....a new civic type R makes 330hp....Kia Stinger GT even more...what I find more ridiculous is the comments of calling the cops and sending in tag numbers on guys just trying to have a little fun with other car guys....and the people encouraging those posters to video record these guys and call 911.....that’s just embarrassing, ridiculous and sounds like something a hippy liberal Prius or smart car driver would do.....not a vette owner...
The following users liked this post:
856SPEED (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 AM
rocco16
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Most guys revving on you on the street don't actually think they can beat you....they just want to see a Vette under full throttle and get an idea of how quick it is AND how their car compares to it. Whether you oblige them is up to you.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM
73DBG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rocco16 View Post
Most guys revving on you on the street don't actually think they can beat you....they just want to see a Vette under full throttle and get an idea of how quick it is AND how their car compares to it. Whether you oblige them is up to you.

some want to to see how they stack up to a vette....and some are hoping you take the bait and haven’t done you homework on what their model car is capable of....when that happens it’s getting recorded and going on IG/YouTube...xxxx “gaps” unsuspecting corvette owner....

but most just wanna hear the bald eagles scream....car guys like fast cars....they like to hear them...they like to see them making a quick pull....and the younger ones hope the to be in that car potential down the road. It’s really a simple A/B choice....be cool about it or be a dbag about it.....not sure why so many people choose option B honestly.

Last edited by 73DBG; 05-13-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 AM
JasonAndrew
CF Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by novaks47 View Post
The few times I've had people try to race me, it's been junkers trying to keep up when I take off from a light. Last time it was a beat up, high mileage looking and sounding '90's era Silverado, lol. Time before that it was some trashed older Camry. The same thing has always happened on my motorcycle too, it's always some run of the mill sedan trying to "beat" me,which is hilarious as I'm not racing them, nor do they even stand a chance even if I actually was. Besides, I don't care if I get dusted, as there will always be someone out there with a faster car, stock or not. I'd much rather race on a circuit anyways.
That is ME.. I'm not trying to race though, but trying to get in front of all the packs of cars so I can cruise at a faster pace and not have to ride behind cars driving side by side hitting their brakes, waiting for lights to turn red.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM
pacoW
CF Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

i noticed some thing as a first time corvette owner this year, i was driving around town yesterday just cruising, checking everything out.. getting to know how the car drives. i bet at least 10 cars came up revving the engine and taking off like trying to race me. of course i just ignored them and kind of laughed. does this happen all the time or what? it's pretty funny really, reminds me of some little yappy dog growling at a pit bull with no clue that their heads would get chomped off with one snap of the jaws

you didn't indicate what C4 you have, but assuming about 3300lbs & 300hp, there's a lot of new stuff that'll smoke a C4, that could easily have 4 doors or and/or 8ft bed.

Last edited by pacoW; 05-13-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 AM
drcook
CF Senior Member

Received 276 Likes on 247 Posts

Now for the guys talking about calling the cops and video recording a dude who revs his engine....�� makes a quick pull....�� unbelievable.....maybe sell the vette and get a hybrid....
reading comprehension is lacking. in my post I said about the folks riding on my tail about 2 foot away so holding up the phone makes them change their mind about continuing their course of action or other foolishness

the other day there was a pickup riding 2 foot from my back end, with a semi on the right of me, once I got over he was hitting his brakes and as soon as he saw the cell phone he disappeared down the road

I also said that a dash cam can get you out of an 'exhibition of speed" ticket assuming your video shows you weren't taking part. dash cams and cell phones videos have been saving people in fact a local cop got charged with multiple felonies for making up sh*t on the report and in court the video (that he didn't know was being recorded) refuted what he wrote down and swore to.

when the judge asked him why the report didn't match the video he sat there dumbfounded according to the news. 2 more cases have come up for review as well as any others that were in doubt.

there was a local city that mandated the cops work overtime which was funded by the tickets they wrote. once that hit the papers, the practice was stopped. you can bet in today's world any video evidence you have of your innocence is worth its weight in gold
when you run into that cop that will lie cheat and eff you over just to do it.

Last edited by drcook; 05-13-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:25 AM
73DBG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drcook View Post
reading comprehension is lacking. in my post I said about the folks riding on my tail about 2 foot away so holding up the phone makes them change their mind about continuing their course of action or other foolishness

the other day there was a pickup riding 2 foot from my back end, with a semi on the right of me, once I got over he was hitting his brakes and as soon as he saw the cell phone he disappeared down the road

I also said that a dash cam can get you out of an 'exhibition of speed" ticket assuming your video shows you weren't taking part. dash cams and cell phones videos have been saving people in fact a local cop got charged with multiple felonies for making up sh*t on the report and in court the video (that he didn't know was being recorded) refuted what he wrote down and swore to.

when the judge asked him why the report didn't match the video he sat there dumbfounded according to the news. 2 more cases have come up for review as well as any others that were in doubt.

there was a local city that mandated the cops work overtime which was funded by the tickets they wrote. once that hit the papers, the practice was stopped. you can bet in today's world any video evidence you have of your innocence is worth its weight in gold
when you run into that cop that will lie cheat and eff you over just to do it.
The lacking “reading comprehension remarks” 🙄 always make me laugh....I never specifically mentioned you or quoted your post....so maybe look again....lots of post on here talking crazy stuff....I actually agree with you about covering your own *** when fighting the law....having proof in court is a must and just as there are dbag vette owners and awesome ones the same applies to cops.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: everyone wants to race

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: