C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

everyone wants to race

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 AM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default everyone wants to race

i noticed some thing as a first time corvette owner this year, i was driving around town yesterday just cruising, checking everything out.. getting to know how the car drives. i bet at least 10 cars came up revving the engine and taking off like trying to race me. of course i just ignored them and kind of laughed. does this happen all the time or what? it's pretty funny really, reminds me of some little yappy dog growling at a pit bull with no clue that their heads would get chomped off with one snap of the jaws
Old 05-11-2019, 06:50 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

no matter what year. a corvette has always been the standerd "fast" car to beat. Seems braging rights go to folks who say they beat a vette the other day. My 86 is 33 years old an it doesnt matter,,,they still want to race and get that brag in. These new cars comming out are quick compared to my 86,
Old 05-11-2019, 06:54 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I like your analogy. I also cruise rather than race, it's cheaper and more fun that way. Personally I outgrew racing over 40+ years ago. I have no need to prove my manhood nor what my car will do. Enjoy your driving experience and just let them make fools out of themselves and relish in the thought that the money they spend fixing their cars and on tickets, you're using to put some fuel in the car and enjoying it.

They're just kids and their toys and trying to prove something to themselves, don't get sucked into their attempt to prove they're better than you.

Last edited by hcbph; 05-11-2019 at 06:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bckmstr (05-12-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 07:29 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Nobody ever wants to race mine. Kinda disappointing actually. I kinda think most of the "people wanting to race" is in people's heads as they notice other cars driving weird more in a vette.

Last edited by FAUEE; 05-11-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:29 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Or rev their engines up, etc.

They also like to tailgate and play their dang games. As soon as the cell phone comes up like you are dialing 911 or taking their pics, they disappear.

Now that spring is here, I will be putting the dash cam in the Vette. A video of them hauling a** away and you not moving, or just driving slow can get you out of an "exhibition of speed" ticket if the dh cop tries to include you.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:20 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
Or rev their engines up, etc.

They also like to tailgate and play their dang games. As soon as the cell phone comes up like you are dialing 911 or taking their pics, they disappear.

Now that spring is here, I will be putting the dash cam in the Vette. A video of them hauling a** away and you not moving, or just driving slow can get you out of an "exhibition of speed" ticket if the dh cop tries to include you.
Intereating about the video idea.

Yeah I do this whenever running and I see an ATV on the bike trails (illegal).

I realize Im not a cop, but at the same time dont want these trails getting taking over by rif-raff. I dont do anything with the video, just do it to let the other person know they are being watched.

was amazing how butt-hurt one guy got. He parked his atv ahead and started videotaping me.
Except I didnt mind bc I wasnt doing anything illegal !!!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:38 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

I dont have tons of people trying to race my c4.
1. It sounds mean so that usually intimidates the lessor cars (ex .a hyundai genesis sport coupe or a base model wrx or evo)

the gt-r’s, new z06’s and stuff consider me an easy victory (which annoys me), so they dont even try to race me.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:39 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bud40oz
i noticed some thing as a first time corvette owner this year, i was driving around town yesterday just cruising, checking everything out.. getting to know how the car drives. i bet at least 10 cars came up revving the engine and taking off like trying to race me. of course i just ignored them and kind of laughed. does this happen all the time or what? it's pretty funny really, reminds me of some little yappy dog growling at a pit bull with no clue that their heads would get chomped off with one snap of the jaws
Right....they are the pit bull and you are the the small dog in most cases since these cars by today's standards are slow unless modified (which these folks wanting to race know). Just keep cruising along like you have been doing and all ends well!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:12 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

If a person attempts to get you to race (on public streets or a freeway), they are the A**HOLE. Racing on public streets (with pedestrians or other drivers) and not at a strip or track is irresponsible. It shows they haven't grown up and become a responsible part of society, since they'd be putting a lot of innocent people in danger. Now there are some secluded rural highways / roads that could be safer at 3AM, but it's still a gamble unless you barricade the road. Many times I've seen two cars speeding and zipping in and out of lanes on a fairly crowded freeway. The first speeding car usually passes an unsuspecting driver and waits till the last second to cut in front of them just to lose the other "racer" following them. STUPID.
The following 3 users liked this post by RetroGuy:
dizwiz24 (05-11-2019), silverja (05-11-2019), vettpapaw (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 12:24 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I noticed the same thing. My car is stock except for the exhaust, so the bark is much bigger than its bite.
My som always wants me to race, but he doesn't realize that a new Honda Civic has more HP, lol.
The following users liked this post:
fparkin (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 12:44 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

I know I already posted this but am posting it again for emphasis bc I feel its that important

its not new gt-r’s or z06’s or hellcats or shelby cobras trying to race me, its hyundai genesis, toyota camry with sport package, base model wrx’s or ricer cars with stickers, wings/ fart cans that always wanna try to prove something.

they assume my car is stock and would make an easy kill

Last edited by dizwiz24; 05-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Everyone wants to race all the time and I oblige all the time. I am not into doing it at the stoplights here in the DFW area, too many cars, too many cops and too many light poles but in the evening/night on the open freeway I am willing. At ~3350lbs with ~420 rwhp my '84 does pretty dang well against most stuff out there. I win way more than I lose, that is for sure.

Last edited by Krusty84; 05-11-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:08 PM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

The few times I've had people try to race me, it's been junkers trying to keep up when I take off from a light. Last time it was a beat up, high mileage looking and sounding '90's era Silverado, lol. Time before that it was some trashed older Camry. The same thing has always happened on my motorcycle too, it's always some run of the mill sedan trying to "beat" me,which is hilarious as I'm not racing them, nor do they even stand a chance even if I actually was. Besides, I don't care if I get dusted, as there will always be someone out there with a faster car, stock or not. I'd much rather race on a circuit anyways.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:28 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My first 35th Anni was decked out with Englishtown numbers and my forum call sign so I got a few "tries".
Only had one "try" with this 35th Anni, an Audi, which I polished off just before stopping at the posted limit.

I think some guys in "lesser" vehicles pretend to try just to see the Vette rise up and snarl a bit.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Right....they are the pit bull and you are the the small dog in most cases since these cars by today's standards are slow unless modified (which these folks wanting to race know). Just keep cruising along like you have been doing and all ends well!
i don't know about that.. my 3'rd gear at 40 with the gears i have.... gonna take a pretty stout car to beat me to 80 without ever even shifting. i will find out some day, like i said.. i was just feeling my car out and how it handles yesterday. don't assume it is stock 856speed
Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
no matter what year. a corvette has always been the standerd "fast" car to beat. Seems braging rights go to folks who say they beat a vette the other day. My 86 is 33 years old an it doesnt matter,,,they still want to race and get that brag in. These new cars comming out are quick compared to my 86,
My friend would go to the strip all the time in the late 80' early 90's with his modded fox body. Its 2019 and now that I have this C4 obsession I still hear the story of "I blew away a Zr1 at the grove"....lol your wasting "your money if you buy a C4"

Last edited by Steves LS6; 05-11-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Black & Tan
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a guy pull up to my 2000 Vette one time with something like an '86 Olds - kind of a POS. He rev'd his engine and held up a small piece of pink paper and yelled at me "Let's race for pinks!" I must have looked surprised because he started laughing pretty hard which made me do the same. He took off from the light about as slow as you could, or maybe that's all the Olds could muster. I've laughed about his sense of humor many times.

Get notified of new replies

To everyone wants to race

Old 05-12-2019, 12:28 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I kinda think most of the "people wanting to race" is in people's heads as they notice other cars driving weird more in a vette.
Agreed. I think it is mostly (with a few real incidents) in the driver's head when he is driving a car he assumes is fast. Most times, I think it is a figment of the imagination.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:41 PM
Scrubtek
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s crazy isn’t it? I get them almost daily, they just cruise up and they want it. I just look at them at them give a lil chuckle and go about my way, they’re all ***** to the wall. Just to dam funny everybody’s a race car driver next to the vette. I don’t race cause repairs come out of my pocket so it’s nicer and cheaper just to cruise for longevity and enjoy the ride. I for one don’t want to work on it every weekend.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:24 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steves LS6
My friend would go to the strip all the time in the late 80' early 90's with his modded fox body. Its 2019 and now that I have this C4 obsession I still hear the story of "I blew away a Zr1 at the grove"....lol your wasting "your money if you buy a C4"
The C4 ZR-1 was a very expensive car back then (compared to what people make).

Back in those days a well modd fox body ran 12’s. Maybe a little faster if on nitrous. Its not like today where everything is blown and runs 9s with modern tuning, fueling, tires, forced induction technology that any joe can look up on the internet to find out what works.

Back in those days (and its a similar story today) you had a bunch of ‘rich old guys’ with a new vette who didnt know how to drive/race it.

many times i would see one of these rich old guys not able to get the car out of the high 14’s and get frustrated. Local track rednecks would be heckling him.
Finally the old man would ask them to ‘drive my car’.
Local redneck would do a hell of burnout, rev job, and drive it like he stole it running it to the proper 13’s or whatever time the magazine said that model c4 or c5 base model would run.

old man would go home happy thinking ‘yep, thats my car...’

this scenario repeats itself today with rich old guys and new vettes.

this is exactly the problem with racing .

who knows what that zr1 driver was doing. Is it possible your buddy beat a c4 zr1 going all out? Sure it is.

but it wouldnt matter if the zr1 driver had his traction control on, spun on launch, granny-shifted, missed 2nd gear, was the rich old (or young) guy that didnt know how to race, or whatever.

All that matters to your buddy is he beat a zr1 and in his world that zr1 was giving it everything it had.

thats the problem about being a vette owner is everything wants to race/ and is gonna spin the story however to their advantage.

So its just best not to do it.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 05-12-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: everyone wants to race