Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Sorry, OP. Not trying to muddy your thread. lol
It's all good man. No worries.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
It's the typical old car problems that will get to you. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting 3 builders of transmissions (at least for an automatic). WHEN the electronics fail, you have to be able to put up with it until, if ever, you get a replacement from dumpster diving. You'd have to get used to hearing the word "OBSOLETE" or "NLA". As an example, it took me a couple three months to get all the hoses for my power steering and the mechanic wasn't happy about having to store it in his yard. We got a hose, he has to compare it to make sure it works and so on. The vendors (as in plural) were unsure and they weren't some hole in the wall shop either. They had a hose or two that was "I think it would work but we won't know till my supplier makes a batch and sends it to me, assuming he does".
Next time just have a set made up locally. A custom set might even be cheaper than ones from a small production run. I have had many PS/brakeA/C lines made over the years, with very good results.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I wish I did have it just like my other cars.

In what way does it turn off in the newer stuff but does not? Wonder why it does have an off switch but stay on?
For the most part I would guess the product liability lawyers. In my GS (13), which GM touts as a "track capable car" you have to hold town the TC button for ~5 seconds to fully defeat the TC and active handling. It is almost like the car is asking you "do you really want to do that ? "
Old 05-14-2019, 11:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I wish I did have it just like my other cars.

In what way does it turn off in the newer stuff but does not? Wonder why it does have an off switch but stay on?
Most new cars off is like, maybe hslf off. Mercedes and Aufi are notorious for TCS that wont fully turn off. Most cars (my c6 included) you have to hold the button to get it REALLY off. Old people love yo feel like they controlled a fast car... but many really cant.

Last edited by FAUEE; 05-14-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
For the most part I would guess the product liability lawyers. In my GS (13), which GM touts as a "track capable car" you have to hold town the TC button for ~5 seconds to fully defeat the TC and active handling. It is almost like the car is asking you "do you really want to do that ? "
Would you want to be able to accidentally deactivate it? I don't so as long as I can deactivate it for the duration of the drive, I'm good. If I were to go out to street race, I could turn it off before leaving the driveway so it's all good.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Most new cars off is like, maybe hslf off. Mercedes and Aufi are notorious for TCS that wont fully turn off. Most cars (my c6 included) you have to hold the button to get it REALLY off. Old people love yo feel like they controlled a fast car... but many really cant.
Maybe so but there are a lot of arrogant people that also think they can control a car, any car 24X7X365. Problem is nobody is that good. It's one thing to control a car, any car, in a situation where you are in a heightened state like a race for a couple hours. It is another to be hypervigilant every time you are behind the wheel. It only takes 1 second of a slip and you are toast. Consider a cop who is trained. They have marksmanship qualifications where they are on a course and probably do better than most. According to THIS article, in a deadly force encounter, they will miss. 22 to 52% chance of them hitting me. I like those odds if I were a perp. Point is, just because you are an autocross terror, it doesn't mean you can't ever be caught with your proverbial pants down. On race day, you are fully alert and prepared. What happens when you are just driving and not prepared? I'm going to be the first to admit I am not that good a driver that I can't benefit from having something around that betters the odds under such situations. How about you? Are you that good that you will be able to best every situation when you are off the track?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My 94 is driven about 4-5 times a week by either the wife or I (sub-60k miles)...my 87 was daily/nightly driven to almost 200k
The following users liked this post:
ZR80 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:22 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe K
Yes

Second this.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:55 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Buy the car you want...dont buy a z24 as a daily...wtf...just get the corvette and if you need to make a repair on a daily driven car atleast its money in a repair in a car you enjoy.

the c4 is at awesome prices...id personally find getting in and out tough with the side sull so I d go after a high mileage c5 as a daily ...

that said the c4 is a much smarter move than some crapoy economy car....

i daily my corvettes...purschesed new and Im at 132k on this one...it is utterly reliable...

get the daily driver you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
64Scout (05-15-2019), Bckmstr (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 AM
ZR80
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Buy the car you want...dont buy a z24 as a daily...wtf...just get the corvette and if you need to make a repair on a daily driven car atleast its money in a repair in a car you enjoy.

the c4 is at awesome prices...id personally find getting in and out tough with the side sull so I d go after a high mileage c5 as a daily ...

that said the c4 is a much smarter move than some crapoy economy car....

i daily my corvettes...purschesed new and Im at 132k on this one...it is utterly reliable...

get the daily driver you want.
I like cavaliers - I've purchased four of them.

It's a Chevy at least. And maybe it was just mine but as I said my 96 2.4auto lasted me over a decade with two small repairs in all that time, at an original price of $2300 when I bought it in 2003.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Maybe so but there are a lot of arrogant people that also think they can control a car, any car 24X7X365. Problem is nobody is that good. It's one thing to control a car, any car, in a situation where you are in a heightened state like a race for a couple hours. It is another to be hypervigilant every time you are behind the wheel. It only takes 1 second of a slip and you are toast. Consider a cop who is trained. They have marksmanship qualifications where they are on a course and probably do better than most. According to THIS article, in a deadly force encounter, they will miss. 22 to 52% chance of them hitting me. I like those odds if I were a perp. Point is, just because you are an autocross terror, it doesn't mean you can't ever be caught with your proverbial pants down. On race day, you are fully alert and prepared. What happens when you are just driving and not prepared? I'm going to be the first to admit I am not that good a driver that I can't benefit from having something around that betters the odds under such situations. How about you? Are you that good that you will be able to best every situation when you are off the track?
I mean, my cars dont just lose traction randomly. It needs either rain, cold, or me making it lose traction. So it isnt a huge concern for me.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I mean, my cars dont just lose traction randomly. It needs either rain, cold, or me making it lose traction. So it isnt a huge concern for me.
Mine doesn't either but some situations come up when I don't expect it. Objects fall off a truck, deer, etc. I'm not going to say that I can avoid everything and not spin out or have an issue. I'm not driving in race mode every day so I can be caught unaware and things can happen. If you are that good, my congratulations to you.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd DD my 94. Actually, I have been doing so this spring/summer. It being an auto isn't a problem though I would have preferred a manual, it's still fun to drive. I see no reason why you couldn't DD a C4 just like any other car, taking into account that any car that isn't pretty new will need to be worked on. And that some sort of backup plan might be needed.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZR80
I like cavaliers - I've purchased four of them.

It's a Chevy at least. And maybe it was just mine but as I said my 96 2.4auto lasted me over a decade with two small repairs in all that time, at an original price of $2300 when I bought it in 2003.
Dont forget, that car was 15 years newer then. The real issue with the c4 is the age of the car, little stuff will go wrong from age.

I dont think that an 80s cavalier will be any more reliable than a c4.
ZR80 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM
ZR80
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont forget, that car was 15 years newer then. The real issue with the c4 is the age of the car, little stuff will go wrong from age.

I dont think that an 80s cavalier will be any more reliable than a c4.
No no...i don't want an 80s J-body, looking acquire a 2003-2005, the last year's they made them. I have a cavy. Right now as my daily driver...i I can figure how to post pictures I will.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PerKr
I'd DD my 94. Actually, I have been doing so this spring/summer. It being an auto isn't a problem though I would have preferred a manual, it's still fun to drive. I see no reason why you couldn't DD a C4 just like any other car, taking into account that any car that isn't pretty new will need to be worked on. And that some sort of backup plan might be needed.
Exactly. If this is your only car, you may want to reconsider. If you can afford to have it down for a few months while you scrounge around for parts, sure.
ZR80 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

If you can afford to have it down for a few months while you scrounge around for parts, sure.
Sorry but this stuff is DUMB. DUMB! It's exaggerated, bullshit, sensational, drama hyperbole.

I've been DD'ing my 92 for the past 10 years! Maybe you could help me recall all the parts that I had to "scrounge around for, while my car was down"....b/c I can't recall that happening. Ever.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom400CFI:
1stSSPZ (08-27-2019), ZR80 (05-17-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Old C4 for a daily driver?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Sorry but this stuff is DUMB. DUMB! It's exaggerated, bullshit, sensational, drama hyperbole.

I've been DD'ing my 92 for the past 10 years! Maybe you could help me recall all the parts that I had to "scrounge around for, while my car was down"....b/c I can't recall that happening. Ever.
In the recent 5 years, ebrake cable stuff to keep it up. Can't remember what they were called. Power steering hoses. ABS sensors. Had to get body guy to cannibalize the support rails from the pieces covering the battery to the reproduction ones without the support bars since mine broke when removing and I couldn't get OEM except for the junkyard. Before that, FX3 parts. Hood hinges. AC compressor brackets and the braces thanks to the PO and his hard work. Several other interior pieces for the panel above the legs.

I'm sure that there are more but this came off the top of my head. I could go on but I think you get the picture. Barring the battery covers on both sides, those and more I had to resort to wading through the junkyard. Maybe you had a better car than I did that was cared for more or maybe you have lower standards of what you consider good or maybe you enjoy calling around to various places and hearing "no", hard to say.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

In the recent 5 years, ebrake cable stuff to keep it up. Can't remember what they were called. Power steering hoses. ABS sensors. Had to get body guy to cannibalize the support rails from the pieces covering the battery to the reproduction ones without the support bars since mine broke when removing and I couldn't get OEM except for the junkyard. Before that, FX3 parts. Hood hinges. AC compressor brackets and the braces thanks to the PO and his hard work. Several other interior pieces for the panel above the legs.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.
I'm definitely "getting the picture". You don't know how to find parts. I could find all the parts and have them here w/in two days...except for the FX3 parts -I've never tried so don't know about those. Most of your parts list should come right out of an auto parts store, same day. PS hoses? A hyd hose place can make 'em in minutes. The rest of the stuff? Classifieds/ebay/forums/salvage yard...easy pickin's. Easy. "Down for months"...Come ON, Aklim. Easy on the drama.

Maybe you had a better car than I did that was cared for more or maybe you have lower standards of what you consider good or maybe you enjoy calling around to various places and hearing "no", hard to say.
You've been around here enough Aklim. You've seen my car. You think I have "low standards"? Or that "I like hearing no"? Come on, Aklim. Get real and give us a break.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-16-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:05 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I'm definitely "getting the picture". You don't know how to find parts. I could find all the parts and have them here w/in two days...except for the FX3 parts -I've never tried so don't know about those. Most of your parts list should come right out of an auto parts store, same day. PS hoses? A hyd hose place can make 'em in minutes. The rest of the stuff? Classifieds/ebay/forums/salvage yard...easy pickin's. Easy. "Down for months"...Come ON, Aklim. Easy on the drama.

You've been around here enough Aklim. You've seen my car. You think I have "low standards"? Or that "I like hearing no"? Come on, Aklim. Get real and give us a break.

I have done it with my 2 Merkurs and the C4. I don't have the love for it. It was cool the first couple times and then it got old. So you got the battery cover exterior pieces form what store? Autozone? I had to get them from a reproduction and they didn't have the rails. Either Ecklers or something like that. How about the hood hinge pieces? As to the power steering, car was not at home and at a shop an hour away from home when one of the hoses gave way. Again, took me 2 months and 2 vendors to get all the hoses. I'm not changing one hose and hoping for the best. Classifieds don't always have what you want when you want and I wasn't about to put used old hoses on nor did the shop want to work that way. That they were grudgingly agreeing to store it till I had all the pieces for them to work on it at once was a blessing already. Not going to push my luck until he tells me to push my car out of his lot.

Maybe you had a car that was better cared for by the PO. Yet another was maybe you don't mind having to call around to junkyards. Mind you, I don't mind junkyards AS AN OPTION. I don't like having to resort to junkyards as a MANDATORY thing. IMO one is fine and the other is annoying.

I did ABS sensors. I had to go through eBay and other sources to get 4 different ones and those were the best of the lot. Some looked like they were pulled out of the connector and I don't trust it to work. Again, if sifting through the chaff to get to the wheat isn't irritating to you, sure. I had to put the cleaning of the ABS sensors on hold because I wasn't sure it would come out nicely and if it didn't, I'd have to drill them out and wait to find working ones. So I had to put up with frequent ABS lights, pulling over, shut off, restart.

Quick Reply: Old C4 for a daily driver?