C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

turn signals/brakes dont work

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 11:23 PM
94c4562
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signals/brakes dont work

sorry if i am posting in the wrong place, i just signed up.

my 1994 C4 i just bought recently works great but the turn signals/brake lights don't work. the previous owner was telling me you have to tilt the steering wheel at a certain angle so it can work, he thinks it is the wiring/turn signal switch as it is a common failure. dude was the second owner since 95 and had a stack of maintence records. it sat for a while since he has a family (drove it here and there)

the hazards do work when i press the button, the third brake light does work fine when i press the brake, the tail lights do light up when i turn on the lights but thats it. turn signals/ main brake lights dont light up when i brake or use the turn signals. the left turn signal does work is i press down on the hazards. sometimes i hear the turn signal click go off randomly while driving. he said he used a rubber band to tie the wires that run from the steering wheel down to the bottom of the dash and it worked a bit.

what can it be? the turn signal switch or multi function lever? bad ground/wire is pinched? im new to corvettes so in layman terms please lol

i live in southern california/ LA area
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think first order of business is to purchase a copy of the FSM for your '94. Sounds like some wiring is buggered and the FSM will lead you.

Next thing I would suggest is to check the fuses.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I am not there but I am guessing the switch is correct. I have replaced several of mine and everything is working. High third brake light and I think the back up lights were not working. I think that was it and it was a switch each time. It could be something else also and hopefully someone else will chime in.
The following users liked this post:
94c4562 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:55 PM
94c4562
Heel & Toe

i will get on it. i am leaning towards a turn signal switch as it works once in a blue moon if it is tilted right but only the left turn signal will work lol

i swapped out the fuses and i think i actually fixed my horn issue, it will go off randomly and it won't stop as it is a constant long horn. since i swapped the fuse it hasn't and it has been 2 hours and counting with the horn plugged back in.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:01 PM
94c4562
Heel & Toe

i wish i could do the job myself but with my back and me being a big boy in a tight spot? nope lol

my reverse lights work fine, i am swapping them out for LEDs and my fog lights also. should i just swap out the switch or should i wait for the turn signal lever to arrive so both can be replaced? all the functions work on the lever execpt the turn signals.

Get notified of new replies

To turn signals/brakes dont work

Quick Reply: turn signals/brakes dont work