C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

seatbelt law

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Default seatbelt law

ogetting close to the indy 500 race. % people shot last night here in Indy, but thats kinda normal, Cops are big time enfprceing seat belt law for next few days...word to the wise
Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

The word to the wise should be to always wear your seatbelt, no matter what the cops are enforcing.
The following 2 users liked this post by RIC96:
KyleF (05-17-2019), rocco16 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Darwin at work.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounds like a great time for the highway tax-collectors.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Sounds like a great time for the highway tax-collectors.
I always say that when you move back in or continue living with Mom and Dad and they pay room and board among other things, it's their house and their rules you go by. Stop complaining and do something about it. You asked someone (the govt) to be involved in your affairs when you cannot pay. You want, you got. Now they want a way to limit their exposure to risk. You didn't think it was for free, did you?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I always say that when you move back in or continue living with Mom and Dad and they pay room and board among other things, it's their house and their rules you go by. Stop complaining and do something about it. You asked someone (the govt) to be involved in your affairs when you cannot pay. You want, you got. Now they want a way to limit their exposure to risk. You didn't think it was for free, did you?
I know you aint talking to me. I simply relayed info from the local news., also, 5 people were **** here in indy over the weekend. Two of them were t a strip bar near he track\,
Old 05-13-2019, 10:31 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Who exactly are you talking to and how do you know details about what their political leanings and level of political activism and involvement are?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Indeed, if we wanted/needed "nanny" to protect our sorry asses we'd likely be driving a car "made with love" instead of America's sports car...
Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JBPC4
Who exactly are you talking to and how do you know details about what their political leanings and level of political activism and involvement are?
Look around you. Republican? Democrat? Same song. You want cheap or free healthcare? I provide and you vote for me and it sets the stage for the next round of "freebies" where you get what you want and I do some backroom trades and you get the bill later. Hey, I do have to make sure you are healthier so it costs me less. Going to have to stop smoking. What about the trans fats and unhealthy foods? That has to go. Well, I don't smoke or eat that stuff so why not? Wait till it comes to my sacred cow then I squawk.

Jobs? No problem. I'll get a new factory built by buying a company to build here with your money with ways to get it paid tomorrow with your money. You vote these guys in to meddle with your problems and they do what they do. Instead of being a neutral arbiter, they are now a participant in your life. Lean left much? No problem. We got some goodies for you. Lean right then? Again, we got some goodies for you. Right or left we keep involving the govt in making sure that we not only get the right to pursue happiness but we actually make them responsible that we get it.

I'm for seatbelts and helmets by choice. I'm against seatbelts and helmets by law.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I'm for seatbelts and helmets by choice. I'm against seatbelts and helmets by law.
Finally something we 100% agree on.

When I was a teen, I road dirt bikes. My helmet had a metal plate inside it to keep rocks from puncturing it in case I wrecked.

When I was 15 I was a passenger in my friend's van. It had no seat belts. A freak accident happened. I was thrown 75 feet through the windshield, took the glass with me and God (or my guardian angel) put that glass under me and I skated down the road on it unconscious. I was scraped and banged up, but my buddy was killed. I am the only one left that goes to the cemetery as his family all left Ohio.

47 years of severe PTSD from seeing body parts and thinking at first it was me ripped apart when I stood up after coming to.

All could have been prevented with seat belts. I still cannot ride with most people. One timing error and I am ready to jump out of the car. 2 simple clicks and all that would have happened is that the van would have been a little dented up.
The following users liked this post:
ghoastrider1 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:22 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
ogetting close to the indy 500 race. % people shot last night here in Indy, but thats kinda normal, Cops are big time enfprceing seat belt law for next few days...word to the wise
I know in ohio, before 1985, you didnt need seat belts bc people drove better.

wish we could bring those days back
USAF (05-17-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

I know, right? Good old days where nothing wrong happens. Never an accident, drunk driving or dope. Just good old fashioned fun.

That's easy. Convince your fellow citizens to ask the government to butt out of their personal affairs and agree to cover their costs if they cannot.
dizwiz24 (05-17-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

What about the one time someone hits you head on because they weren't "driving better" that day?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 PM
JBPC4
Racer

It may not feel like it, but more people died in 1985 than in 2017 (most recent statistics I could easily find) from traffic related deaths despite Americans driving almost twice as many miles per year. Strictly speaking from a likelihood of dyeing standpoint, we’re safer on the roads now than we were 30 years ago.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JBPC4
It may not feel like it, but more people died in 1985 than in 2017 (most recent statistics I could easily find) from traffic related deaths despite Americans driving almost twice as many miles per year. Strictly speaking from a likelihood of dyeing standpoint, we’re safer on the roads now than we were 30 years ago.
Maybe but people do seem to look at their past, especially around the time they were young men and women with heavily rose colored glasses. Of course if they had to trade in all the good they take for granted, it might not be a good deal. Selective nostalgia, I suppose.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Maybe but people do seem to look at their past, especially around the time they were young men and women with heavily rose colored glasses. Of course if they had to trade in all the good they take for granted, it might not be a good deal. Selective nostalgia, I suppose.
Very true.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

"If" the cost of my vehicle and motorcycle insurance is driven up by the fact those without using a seatbelt or helmet (even if legal to ride without a helmet) were hurt or died in the event of an accident they need hefty fines and to lose their license.

My belief is that if you have an accident and didn't wear a seatbelt you should be dropped from your insurance, fined by the state, and lose your license and the insurance company have very little liability. If you ride a motorcycle and decided not to wear a helmet, even if legal, and you have an accident, the same applies but the insurance company should have minimal out-pay if your injury is related to the fact you didn't wear a helmet.

Sorry. Had a few friends die from both so it hits pretty hard. I won't drive my girlfriend, her family, or my own if they don't have a seatbelt on. Yeah, they get pissed but to damn bad.

Get notified of new replies

To seatbelt law

Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

that era is not 1985 dude
Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
"If" the cost of my vehicle and motorcycle insurance is driven up by the fact those without using a seatbelt or helmet (even if legal to ride without a helmet) were hurt or died in the event of an accident they need hefty fines and to lose their license.

My belief is that if you have an accident and didn't wear a seatbelt you should be dropped from your insurance, fined by the state, and lose your license and the insurance company have very little liability. If you ride a motorcycle and decided not to wear a helmet, even if legal, and you have an accident, the same applies but the insurance company should have minimal out-pay if your injury is related to the fact you didn't wear a helmet.

Sorry. Had a few friends die from both so it hits pretty hard. I won't drive my girlfriend, her family, or my own if they don't have a seatbelt on. Yeah, they get pissed but to damn bad.
Isn't a casket cheaper than a hospital visit? Besides why bother? It's already figured in the equation and not really my concern if you do or do not. Are you willing to allow me to run without insurance since I prefer not to wear a helmet and belt up? After all, the payout is minimal. And before you think about suing me, understand this. It costs money to sue someone unless you can collect in full and they don't declare bankruptcy.

BTW, are you going to be crusading for people to follow AMA guidelines if you are talking insurance costs? Healthy living and all that. Cancel insurance if you eat more than your allotment of bad foods and all that?

Last edited by aklim; 05-16-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict

It’s ridiculous not to wear a seat belt. If I’m the driver my car doesn’t move til all occupants are belted. But if your not smart enough to wear a seat belt I don’t think the answer is more fines and regulations that can be held against everybody. If insurance could deny payment for no seat belt that would become the first thing they look for in any accident claim. If you get in an accident with your belt on, then get out and walk around waiting for cops to arrive, there’s no proof you had your belt on. The insurance company would likely automatically deny it and put the burden on you to prove otherwise if you want them to pay up.

Quick Reply: seatbelt law