First Time Vette Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Roger Sterling
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Time Vette Owner

Good evening all,

My Dad passed away a few weeks ago, and left me his 88, Red, with ZR-1 Wheels(not an ZR-1 car); ~118K miles. I honestly don't know a whole lot about Corvettes besides what I remember hearing him talking about.. I am fairly mechanically inclined and very excited to have this car! As a parent, I'm excited to have a "thing" with my son(also loves motorsports/hotrods), and it's a great way to keep my Dad's spirit alive.

My initial questions are:

1: Right now it won't start... I remember him telling me a few months ago that he thought it needed an intake manifold gasket... but that doesn't sound right to me. There's no fuel pressure at the injectors, I'm thinking maybe a fuel pump? Looks fairly easy to change(no need to drop the tank right?).

2: Really looking for any general thoughts, things to watch for, or whatever else on this era of Corvette, and especially the 88 models.

Glad to be a part of this forum, and the Corvette community in general. I'm the kind of person that wants to learn EVERYTHING about his hobbies, so I'm officially on a quest for knowledge, and any thing you have for me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
vette196 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Some auto parts stores will let you use their gauge to stick on your schrader valve. Valvestem on your fuel rail
Ck the relay also.....changing it is easy, all done from the top, just screws mainly.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Great gift ... you'll remember your dad every time your drive it, and you have something to share with your son too.

Originally Posted by Roger Sterling
\
1: Right now it won't start... I remember him telling me a few months ago that he thought it needed an intake manifold gasket... but that doesn't sound right to me. There's no fuel pressure at the injectors, I'm thinking maybe a fuel pump? Looks fairly easy to change(no need to drop the tank right?).
If there's no fuel pressure (checked with a gauge on the fuel rail, right?), check the relay to the fuel pump. If it turns out to be the pump, it is easy to change and it comes out through the top after you remove the fuel filler door.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Guswin
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the loss of your dad. I too am new to vettes, bought mine a couple weeks ago in memory of my dad who always wanted one, but passed before he got the chance.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:38 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

the fuel pump on a c4 is the easest fuel pump to r and r I have ever done. , no dropping of the tank, no crawling under it, no lever push rod to keep from sliding out. Welcome to the forum, dont forget the wave
Old 05-21-2019, 06:42 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

Sorry for your dad best wishes to you glad you are keeping the Vette in the family’s

Get notified of new replies

To First Time Vette Owner

Quick Reply: First Time Vette Owner