C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

First Time Vette Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Sterling
Thanks so much for the help so far.. now what can you tell me about headlights???

When I turn on the headlights, the passenger's side flips up perfect, and the driver's side flips up about half way then stops... If you turn the **** on top of the motor that actuates the headlights, you can get the light to manually roll to the "lights on" position, but that's only a one time fix since the lights retract back when you turn them off.

Not sure if this has already been covered, if so please direct me to the right place? Thanks!
As long as the light moves freely when you manually open/close the housing it is probably the "pellets" inside the motor. They are plastic and become brittle over time. It could be the gears in the assembly as well, but I would start with the pellets. It is probably a good idea to replace them on both sides, as the DS is probably close to failing as well. There are plenty of threads about the process of replacing all the parts on the forum.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:30 AM
Roger Sterling
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Get the headlights into the fully up "lights on" position and disconnect the motor wire connection. The headlights will always stay up even when you turn the switch off. Yes this is less than ideal but it's better than opening the hood and screwing the motor every time. Just a temporary solution until you can fix it properly.
Thanks! I'll definitely do that to hold me over.

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
As long as the light moves freely when you manually open/close the housing it is probably the "pellets" inside the motor. They are plastic and become brittle over time. It could be the gears in the assembly as well, but I would start with the pellets. It is probably a good idea to replace them on both sides, as the DS is probably close to failing as well. There are plenty of threads about the process of replacing all the parts on the forum.
I wouldn't say it moved freely... .the **** would turn easily for a few turns, then hard and if I wiggled the light it would get easier... almost as if something was getting in a bind...

I'll definitely do some digging. I'm also having some general engine performance issues so I think I have myself a project for sure! Pretty sure the car sat for at least a year....

Definitely appreciate all the help so far everyone!
Old 05-19-2019, 01:44 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by xrav22
You have to unplug power to use the ****.
On the other hand I met a guy that used to work at the Van Nuys plant and MAKE the headlights, he says if one is not going up(connectors are clean)
just twist the **** 1/8th turn to move it a hair. Works for me.
xrav, the headlight motors in your '85 are the first gen design ('84-'87). The OP has an '88, so his has the second gen design ('88-'96), which are totally different than yours.

Here's an easy way to tell the difference: First gen has the manual operating **** on the bottom of the motor. The second gen has the **** on the top of the motor.

Quick Reply: First Time Vette Owner