C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1995 Corvette Pace Car - Convertible Top Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 PM
pacecar1995
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Corvette Pace Car - Convertible Top Issue

I'm a late comer to Corvette Ownership. Last year I bought a 1995 Pace Car with 21K miles. It seems to ride a little rough but maybe '95's do. However, my main issue is that the "latch pins" that hold the top down in the rear pop out. Being a novice, I don't know what the issue is. Now, this week I have been unable to pop the rear left side back in. Are these called latch pins or is it called something else. It seems like a crappy design .... for a Corvette.

Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:20 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Are you pushing them down all the way? When I had a C4 vert I'd literally put my hand down on the corner of the top and jump up so my full body weight was on the latch. They are tough to fully latch. The design was a carryover that dated back to... well I think 1953. But they didn't carry over the multiple locking 'jaw' that they came up with on the C2. On C2's you have to really push to get the top to fully latch but they would partially latch with a half press.

Another option is to try putting the top up but not latching the front first, this relieves some of the tension on the back. Latch the back, then latch the front next. I never tried that on my C4 verts but I did on my 66 and it was easier.
The following users liked this post:
BubbaKahuna (05-18-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pacecar1995
I'm a late comer to Corvette Ownership. Last year I bought a 1995 Pace Car with 21K miles. It seems to ride a little rough but maybe '95's do. However, my main issue is that the "latch pins" that hold the top down in the rear pop out. Being a novice, I don't know what the issue is. Now, this week I have been unable to pop the rear left side back in. Are these called latch pins or is it called something else. It seems like a crappy design .... for a Corvette.

Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.
I have an 1986 convertible and the latch pins sometimes won't lock until I hit the corner with my fist. Also I tied tywraps onto the lock mechanism as a backup to the main release. I'll post pics asap.

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 05-16-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:29 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I also have a 86 and I'm assuming yours is similar to mine. To put the top back up or down. To unlock the top, pull the lever on the underside of the tonneau to release the back of the top, unlock to two locks on the windshield then lift the back of the top, release the tonneau and fold the top up. When putting the top up, I just put the heal of my hand on the top over the pin and push down and it locks. You should not have to beat or hammer on it to get it to lock if everything is right.
Assuming bubba hasn't messed with the length of the pins on the back of the top, I'd look at the latches on the bottom of the tonneau as possibly hanging up.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 PM
pacecar1995
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone for your input. When I would push down it seemed like there was some resistance. Anyway, yesterday I took it out for a short drive. When I got back, I lifted up the rear corner of the top and put my fingers in. It felt like there was a large washer on the pin. Anyway, after juggling the "washer", I pushed down again and unexpectedly it locked. So, I don't know if the "washer" had anything to do with it. Time will tell.

Thanks, again.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:50 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Interesting discussion as I'm having rear pin seating issues with my "new" '89.

When everything seems fastened down there is still a gap between left side WS and painted surface.

Is there vertical adjustment on the two latching pins?

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 Corvette Pace Car - Convertible Top Issue

Quick Reply: 1995 Corvette Pace Car - Convertible Top Issue