Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Convertible top

Old 05-13-2019, 11:09 PM
Ajax87

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible top

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 1996 Corvette convertible. The weatherstripping in a few areas need repair/replacement. The top appears to be ok, but worn. I checked pricing for the weatherstripping and a whole set runs around $360. I happen to see that a new convertible top cost is not much more in cost. Would you guys recommend simply buying a new convertible top?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:22 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 120 Likes on 114 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I don't think a new top comes with new WS, though I might be mistaken, and am sure installing a new top is a tad more effort than replacing the WS.
The following users liked this post:
Ajax87 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:38 PM
RalfKramden
CF Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Weatherstripping is NOT included when you buy the replacement canvas top. Also if you plan on replacing the weatherstripping, you may as well do the top since you have to remove the weatherstripping in order to replace it anyway. I'm in the middle of that project myself (among others).
The following users liked this post:
Ajax87 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM
Ajax87

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How difficult is the installation? I am pretty handy but never installed a canvas top. I was also considering buy a hardtop because of the wind noise.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 PM
RalfKramden
CF Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm doing it for the first time myself. So far, so good. just time consuming, especially removing all the weatherstripping and the glue. One of the tips that I found recommends using Xylene, soaking paper towels then laying them in the channels. That's a home run b/c after about 15 minutes you can basically wipe the glue away with a dry paper towel. I only have a few more spots to remove the glue from then it'll be on to placing the top. Hoping it warms up some to make the top more pliable. This page https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...-installation/ is the one that's helping me the most. Good luck if you tackle it. Didn't want to spend the $1k plus it's been said to cost for the job. You'll have to replace the weatherstripping at the same time b/c it gets destroyed trying to remove it. Good luck if you tackle it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible top

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: