Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 on Jack Stands how to?

Old 05-14-2019, 04:57 PM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default C4 on Jack Stands how to?

Just curious how you guys get a C4 up on jack stands safely. Safe being the key word here.

I have done this with multiple other cars, but never a 'Vette.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 PM
JBPC4
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I lift one side at a time with a jack at the center of the pinch weld, about straight down from the side mirror. Jack up one side, place stands under or near the factory jack points front and rear, lower onto stands, then repeat for the other side. Hereís a couple pics from the last time I had all four wheels off to get tires mounted.

The following users liked this post:
3D-Aircrew (05-15-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 06:09 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Received 515 Likes on 425 Posts

I just usually use the front jack point, then throw the stand under the front. If on level ground you can get the whole side up from there and hit the back with a jackstand too. Then move to the other side. It's super easy.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Received 354 Likes on 338 Posts

Supposedly the pinch weld under door mirror will lift both side left or right tires effectively. I aim for areas were x brace would attach to floor. Jack stands near arrows for tire jack. Main thing don't catch floor by accident, and front floor is lower than pinch rail.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:16 PM
vette196
CF Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JBPC4 View Post
I lift one side at a time with a jack at the center of the pinch weld, about straight down from the side mirror. Jack up one side, place stands under or near the factory jack points front and rear, lower onto stands, then repeat for the other side. Hereís a couple pics from the last time I had all four wheels off to get tires mounted.

Is that the picture or is your driveway that angled
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 PM
JBPC4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vette196 View Post
The picture makes it look a lot worse than it is!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 AM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

To change oil/filter do you guys jack just the left front or the whole front end?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 AM
ZHammer
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
I just usually use the front jack point, then throw the stand under the front. If on level ground you can get the whole side up from there and hit the back with a jackstand too. Then move to the other side. It's super easy.
This right here.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Paul Workman
CF Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196 View Post
Yeah...I saw that too. YIKES! But, if all he's doing does not require one to crawl under the car - especially when "yanking and shoving" (e.g., removing/installing the trans, for one), then I guess that isn't quite as bad as it looks. But, I HEAR YA!
Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM
JBPC4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Yeah...I saw that too. YIKES! But, if all he's doing does not require one to crawl under the car - especially when "yanking and shoving" (e.g., removing/installing the trans, for one), then I guess that isn't quite as bad as it looks. But, I HEAR YA!
God love the internet and the things people focus on, lol. Thatís my car and my driveway. All of the driveways in my neighborhood are a little slanted, but the angle of that picture makes it look a lot more severe than it is. But, I will assure you all that anytime Iím doing work that requires actually getting under the car I do it in the garage where the floor is flat.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Thanks, exactly what I was wanting to see. Pictures are worth a 1000 words.

How about that slanted driveway though

Just kidding, you can see the angle of the house, subtract that from the driveway and it doesn't look too bad.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:59 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 244 Posts

I do one end at a time, front or back, use the jack points for the jack, and position the stand just inside of the jack points on the frame.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:54 PM
steve1657
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I will probably get flamed, but I would be extremely cautious using this type of jacking method. It works, just ensure you are watching everything closely. The jack must be able to move while lifting the vehicle. All it takes is for the jack to get hung up, not move with the lift and that piece of wood will flip off and that jack is going thru the side skirt, door, or floor pan. From C7, still applicable. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-failure.html

Cheers. -Steve
Old 05-15-2019, 03:48 PM
JBPC4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve1657 View Post
I will probably get flamed, but I would be extremely cautious using this type of jacking method. It works, just ensure you are watching everything closely. The jack must be able to move while lifting the vehicle. All it takes is for the jack to get hung up, not move with the lift and that piece of wood will flip off and that jack is going thru the side skirt, door, or floor pan. From C7, still applicable. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-failure.html

Cheers. -Steve
Is there any jacking method that you shouldnít be extremely cautious with? No matter what method Iím using to jack any of my vehicles, I always take it slow and watch closely to make sure the jack is rolling properly and everything is staying straight and steady. I would never throw a jack under a car and start cranking away all ***** nilly no matter what jacking location is being used.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 PM
steve1657
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there any jacking method that you shouldnít be extremely cautious with? No matter what method Iím using to jack any of my vehicles, I always take it slow and watch closely to make sure the jack is rolling properly and everything is staying straight and steady. I would never throw a jack under a car and start cranking away all ***** nilly no matter what jacking location is being used.

JBPC4, My post was not directed at you in any way, I apologize. Just meant as a quick note for anyone that may not have the same experience.

Kind regards,
-Steve
Old 05-15-2019, 04:55 PM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Question though, why the wood block. Never had to use these on my Camaros or Firebirds.

New to Corvettes... Old Timer with TPI/LTX
Old 05-15-2019, 05:45 PM
JBPC4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
Question though, why the wood block. Never had to use these on my Camaros or Firebirds.

Iím sure it isnít necessary, just a habit I picked up somewhere over the years and I almost always use a block of wood between the vehicle and the jack when lifting it. In this particular case, I think it makes it more stable because the pinchweld digs into the wood a little and ends up sitting in a shallow groove that helps keep it steady and prevent things from slipping around.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:53 PM
JBPC4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve1657 View Post
JBPC4, My post was not directed at you in any way, I apologize. Just meant as a quick note for anyone that may not have the same experience.

Kind regards,
-Steve
No worries. I apologize as well for getting a bit defensive. And you have a good point that you need to be careful and pay attention to whatís going on as it lifts. Always good advice for everyone. I tend to be more cautious than most honestly. Always go slow and check and double check everything. And especially when getting under a vehicle, I never do it without both jack stands and a back up support system like wood blocks should the jack stands fail, and I still usually leave the jack in place holding a little tension as well! Safety first!
The following users liked this post:
steve1657 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:16 PM
RalfKramden
CF Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post

Hey Kyle, I read somewhere on these forums (and use this method) that you should put a hockey puck in the saddle of the jack.

First because it fits right in, it won't move or flip up and will also provide the softness to prevent damage to the pinch weld.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 AM
RetroGuy
CF Senior Member

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Proper way to use a block of wood...

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: