First post/First time Corvette owner: yes, another double din question

Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 AM
fredalvrez@gmail.com
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First post/First time Corvette owner: yes, another double din question

Evening all
I've bought a 1990 C4 that already has a Kenwood single DIN head unit in it:

I want to change this to a double DIN unit so I can have (at least) Satnav. We are planning to drive from LA (where the car is now) to NYC this year, then next year back to LA via Canada, so Satnav for us is a bit of a must. We live in New Zealand. We've been to the USA many times, but SatNav is still the best thing ever when you are from another country.
But I've read the horror stories about people trying to fit double DIN units in a C4 Corvette. I don't mind doing a bit of trimming on the bezel if needed, but having to bondo up holes and sanding it etc...that's going too far.
I was chatting to someone online at Crutchfield's today, and he suggested that this: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_112200...s.html?tp=3121 will suit a double DIN head unit in a C4 Corvette with no trimming of the bezel needed (!). This goes against everything I've read in the forums, but some of those posts are a bit older.

Any advice gratefully accepted. We aren't over until September for our 5-week road trip, but I want to start preparing now so there's no surprises when we get there and pick up the car out of storage.

Cheers and thanks
Fred
Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I think it would be more accurate to say the dash will accept some double DIN units without trimming. Differences between manufacturers may cause slight trimming of the sorround. I used a Pioneer with Car Play and it took shaving about a sixteenth of an inch on the backside to get a good fit. You cant tell it's been trimmed.

The issue with mine was, the hole has slightly rounded corners while the head unit had square corners.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You can actually fit a nice double din unit in there. The previous owner of my 95 coupe hacked the center console to install a single din Kenwood. I needed to replace the bezel but no cutting required to fit in this Jensen.

The following users liked this post:
fredalvrez@gmail.com (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

I have a double-din Pioneer in my '90. I didn't have to trim the bezel.

Get notified of new replies

To First post/First time Corvette owner: yes, another double din question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First post/First time Corvette owner: yes, another double din question